Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 08:32 PM

2 posts, read 9,734 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am a white male from a northern city. Here is the thing I am having anxiety about visiting AR because I seem to think people won't like the way I talk. I am very humble and I don't have an attitude, but I do think I talk with a pretty ghetto accent sometimes( I have been working to break this for years). I grew up in a big city and hung around alot of uneducated blacks as a kid and some things still haven't left. I don't wear baggy jeans or let my pants sag.

Here is what I am wondering. Will people give me trouble in rural areas? Are there places I should avoid? Any advice would be appreciated. I also have nothing against your beautiful state

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 06:27 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,110 times
You should be fine. Unless you hear banjos. Then you in some trouble!!!! Oh. Never mind. Thats Tennessee!

Old 04-20-2009, 06:46 AM

570 posts, read 1,582,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomany View Post
Hi all,
I am a white male from a northern city. Here is the thing I am having anxiety about visiting AR because I seem to think people won't like the way I talk. I am very humble and I don't have an attitude, but I do think I talk with a pretty ghetto accent sometimes( I have been working to break this for years). I grew up in a big city and hung around alot of uneducated blacks as a kid and some things still haven't left. I don't wear baggy jeans or let my pants sag.

Here is what I am wondering. Will people give me trouble in rural areas? Are there places I should avoid? Any advice would be appreciated. I also have nothing against your beautiful state

Thanks
Yes their places you should avoid, Just like their places I should avoid in your area.

If you are having anxiety about a visit too Arkansas then why do you want too visit us.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:57 AM

837 posts, read 2,248,441 times
you'll be fine. I hope you enjoy your visit!

Old 04-20-2009, 07:21 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,856,510 times
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks
You might not make it through Missouri!!! Many people stay in unnamed northern city for safety reasons.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:03 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,415,049 times
There is a neighbor of mine who is from Cleveland, Ohio and has been here for 25 years. He still has his northern accent and has never had any trouble.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:30 AM

807 posts, read 2,514,847 times
You shouldn't have any trouble at all. I would say there are lots of retirees from the North in that area.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:45 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,530,577 times
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks
I don't think any Yankees have been lynched in Arkansas in over 50 years, correct??

Old 04-20-2009, 01:50 PM

452 posts, read 1,722,310 times
It's not so much the "way" you talk but what you might say.

Arkansas is a tourist loving state; we make allowances for the folks who get lost or drive like they just passed the last exit to civilization, impeding traffic for the locals who are hell-bent on getting to the front of the line before the merge sign plays out. That's prob the main thing we get riled up over. Most of us can do well with foreign languages and the folks who speak 'em. Gosh, Arkies travel and play tourist too...so we understand what it's like to be a bit fearful... I've been all the way across the state of Texas more times alone than I can remember in the last 30-plus years and I cannot recall one bad exper with those hard-livin-shoot-first-ask questions-later cowboys!!

If I can do THAT, you can most likely drive thru our great state and have a doggone good time don' it!!

Old 04-20-2009, 01:57 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I don't think any Yankees have been lynched in Arkansas in over 50 years, correct??
Maybe not in *your* neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of: