Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: can teen become mayor
yes 12 54.55%
no 10 45.45%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 07:23 PM

157 posts, read 517,776 times

Advertisements

By all means, run.

It will be a good lesson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 07:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
A 17 year old high school student was elected mayor of a small town in Michigan a few years ago.
I remember the story, but I don't believe he was 17, I thought he was 19 or maybe 18, whatever: it also was a very small town, not the size of Mountain Home...

Nita

ps: I could be wrong about the age

Old 05-08-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iColt1 View Post
so you would rather let me sit here be all ticked cuz people are looking over my shoulder telling me what i am doing wrong and not say a thing? I thought this was America. Just because i do not use the correct grammar and spelling on the internet doesn't mean i don't have a bright and aware mind.
You may have a very bright mind, I don't know if anyone is questioning that, but you certainly realize to consider running for office you will need to know how to write your thoughts and make good sense, plus making what you say easy to understand. Add to that you will be asked questions and will need to answer them directly. So far you haven't answered a single question addressed to you except you use the net while in study hall, which I am surprised you are allowed to do.

You have every right to express your views and your concerns, but that does not make you qualified for public office. How many city counsil meetings have you attended? Have you run for and been elected to office at school? Where are you intending to go to college or are you? Living in America does give us all the right to express our views and opinions, it does not mean we are qualified to run for office. Yes, you probably can run for mayor or city counsil, will you get elected? Unless you have some very good ideas on how to address the problems you see facing Mountain Home and have a heck of a lot of money to run I wouldn't suggest you consider it right now. You have no idea how much it can cost. My husband ran for public office in NM twice, both times he won the primary by a huge margin, but lost the general election because of old money in the county..The first race cost about
$7000.00, the second much more. Thank goodness much of the money came from contributions...Do you have a job after school that will help pay for your campaign?

It seems like you views are based on what you think would be best for the young people in Mountain View, what about the needy people in the community, how would you suggest paying for road improvements or maintaining quality medical facilities? How would you handle the needs of the less fortunite people in the area and what is your solution to controling crime? Do you have plans to address these issues?

When you have ideas on how to address these concerns then you will be ready to consider a future in politics.

Nita

Old 05-09-2009, 07:39 AM

437 posts, read 929,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You may have a very bright mind, I don't know if anyone is questioning that, but you certainly realize to consider running for office you will need to know how to write your thoughts and make good sense, plus making what you say easy to understand. Add to that you will be asked questions and will need to answer them directly. So far you haven't answered a single question addressed to you except you use the net while in study hall, which I am surprised you are allowed to do.

You have every right to express your views and your concerns, but that does not make you qualified for public office. How many city counsil meetings have you attended? Have you run for and been elected to office at school? Where are you intending to go to college or are you? Living in America does give us all the right to express our views and opinions, it does not mean we are qualified to run for office. Yes, you probably can run for mayor or city counsil, will you get elected? Unless you have some very good ideas on how to address the problems you see facing Mountain Home and have a heck of a lot of money to run I wouldn't suggest you consider it right now. You have no idea how much it can cost. My husband ran for public office in NM twice, both times he won the primary by a huge margin, but lost the general election because of old money in the county..The first race cost about
$7000.00, the second much more. Thank goodness much of the money came from contributions...Do you have a job after school that will help pay for your campaign?

It seems like you views are based on what you think would be best for the young people in Mountain View, what about the needy people in the community, how would you suggest paying for road improvements or maintaining quality medical facilities? How would you handle the needs of the less fortunite people in the area and what is your solution to controling crime? Do you have plans to address these issues?

When you have ideas on how to address these concerns then you will be ready to consider a future in politics.

Nita

A lot of what you just said makes sense. that will take me time to answer those Q's. tho i doubt i have $7000

Old 05-09-2009, 12:11 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Quote:
A lot of what you just said makes sense. that will take me time to answer those Q's. tho i doubt i have $7000
Many years ago, Colt, in another life, I worked on a number of elections.

One can figure their costs by how many votes are needed. The costs are advertising, appearences, travel costs, etc.

Back then it was $1.50 a vote for a local election. Now, it's going to be much higher.

So...do your homework on the major issues the people want solved, and find solutions. Then see how many people voted in the last election, take 70% of that total, and I would conservatively start at $3.00 a vote.

Get a qualifying number of signatures on your petition, raise your war chest, and let the rubber meet the road.

In MH, your voting base is very adult, and conservative, so.... be 'charming'.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:26 AM

437 posts, read 929,530 times
i regret my last post about being 'ticked' cuz that's not the real me. what i said made No sense and i am sorry. but one honest Q: why are most of you adults money-sucking (greedy) people? i don't really have to pay per vote i should only pay for the things i need to get elected. advertisements, appearances. but travel costs? i'm not wanting to be governor i'm going to be in a relatively small city.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
i regret my last post about being 'ticked' cuz that's not the real me. what i said made No sense and i am sorry. but one honest Q: why are most of you adults money-sucking (greedy) people? i don't really have to pay per vote i should only pay for the things i need to get elected. advertisements, appearances. but travel costs? i'm not wanting to be governor i'm going to be in a relatively small city.
You are correct, the travel will be a very small part of the picture, but adverstising, including signs, ads, mail outs, give-aways, etc are very expensive.

What makes you say, most of the adults are money sucking people? We are simply telling you what you will be faced with. As for buying votes? Of course you should not have to but by using the term "buying votes" no one really means you pay for the votes, what you do is favors for peoples support. You need some big money backers even when running for a local office. That usually means favors..This is the way it is, like it or not. I still think you would be better running for school president first, then, if you are successful, maybe next time you can shoot for city counsil and go from there.

Nita

Old 05-11-2009, 10:41 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,313,568 times
Quote:
Colt --

Most of us adults are just trying to get by, day by day. I'm living paycheck-to-paycheck, meaning that if for some reason I don't get a paycheck this Friday, I'm out of a home, a car, and most every other possession I have. I'm not 'money-sucking (greedy)'. I'm just trying to get by. The vast majority of Arkansans are in the same boat as me. We expect our politicians to empathize, though we know most don't.

When you grow up, get a job, get a mortgage or pay rent, have a family, etc., you'll understand better.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:35 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Quote:
Well, I thought I had been called every name in my life....several times...but "money sucking" is a new one.

Yes you do have to "pay" for votes, Colt. I don't know if you think billboards, radio spots, yard signs, bumper stickers, etc., are free..but they're not.

No exposure=no votes.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:11 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,333,985 times
why are most of you adults money-sucking (greedy) people?

Colt,
Many of the people who vote are older. If you run for Mayor, might I suggest not calling the voters money-sucking(greedy) people.
Most of the voters aren't going to know who you are. In order to reach them that will require advertising. Advertising costs money. That's what's meant by $ per voter. You're not going to send each voter ten dollars. The voters are not going to see any of the money, it's just that campaigns require money so the voters can see you and hear your message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas