Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 06:12 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
I remember one time I was talking with a well dressed mexican feller in an above average subdivision. He had a nice lawn, shrubs, beautiful house.

Next door to him, another Mexican family, who had teenagers. Unkept lawn, a couple of cans on the front yard, a piece of trim hanging by the entry door. A Cadillac Escalade in the drive with like....25" chrome wheels..or at least it looked like it.

While we're talking, in pulls a Chevy that has been lowered, windows blacked out, sub-woofer heard 4 blocks away, and.."bling-bling wheels". For all y'all what never saw those, when you stop the car, the chrome wheel cover keeps spinning. They tell me it's the "bomb, dawg" which I reckon means way cool or something.

Anyway, this young mexican kid gets out, wearing a flannel shirt in the summer, I dunno...maybe 12, 15 gold chains on, goes up top the door, knocks on it. Another mexican kid answers the door, they do a secret handshake, and do the Latin King flash to each other, and he goes in.

This Mexican guy I'm talking to is biting his bottom lip off.

He looks at me dead serious, and says, "I am so sick of this <stuff>. I didn't spend all this money so I could live next door to *Mexicans*.

I was...dumbfounded.
Looking at the context of what the Middle Class gentleman was saying: I would feel the exact same way living next to a bunch of PW Trash (non Hispanic Whites).

Old 05-30-2009, 06:15 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelw View Post
I'm white but I don't want to live next door to a white-trashed, mullett headed, wife-beater t-shirt wearing, toothless slob blasting Hank Jr. out of his lifted F150. Why would it be any different for Mexicans?
What RogMar was implying was that said Middle Class 'Mexican' (probably a true blue American) went against the stereotype that all Latinos (at least Mestizo ones) sticking together no matter what----------much like Blacks of 30 years ago or the Irish of 70+ years ago.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:54 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,209,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
What RogMar was implying was that said Middle Class 'Mexican' (probably a true blue American) went against the stereotype that all Latinos (at least Mestizo ones) sticking together no matter what----------much like Blacks of 30 years ago or the Irish of 70+ years ago.
Zactly..

And the equivalent statement would be if a white person stated they didn't spend all that money to live next door to white people.

He made no mention of conduct, social stature, or pants size.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:22 AM

529 posts, read 1,651,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I fully understand. Whites stereotype all mexicans together and are surprised when a Mexican doesn't agree with the lifestyle some of his fellow Latino-Americans are living. It's like latino Caddyshack.

All I'm saying is that we shouldn't be stereotyping in the first place. If Rog was talking with a well-to-do white guy that was complaining about his white-trash neighbors would he have been very surprised?

Old 05-30-2009, 10:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelw View Post
I fully understand. Whites stereotype all mexicans together and are surprised when a Mexican doesn't agree with the lifestyle some of his fellow Latino-Americans are living. It's like latino Caddyshack.

All I'm saying is that we shouldn't be stereotyping in the first place. If Rog was talking with a well-to-do white guy that was complaining about his white-trash neighbors would he have been very surprised?
Maybe, maybe not. I think the situation is a little different and the calling his neighbors Mexicans when he too, was hispanic might be the point of all this.

Nita

Old 05-30-2009, 01:47 PM

529 posts, read 1,651,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Maybe, maybe not. I think the situation is a little different and the calling his neighbors Mexicans when he too, was hispanic might be the point of all this.

Nita
Actually the situation is the same other than the fact that they are latino.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:17 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,114,593 times
I'm Black and I don't want to live anywhere near the "hip hop" Blacks.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:04 PM

148 posts, read 350,861 times
What, exactly, is a "hip hop Black"? I'm black, 33, married with two kids, have two degrees (hubby does too) and yet somehow I've never, ever, heard that term. Where did you say you were from, again?

Old 06-01-2009, 05:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezyone View Post
What, exactly, is a "hip hop Black"? I'm black, 33, married with two kids, have two degrees (hubby does too) and yet somehow I've never, ever, heard that term. Where did you say you were from, again?
I can answer that, but I am sure she will as well: right now she is living in the Los Angeles area and she too is educated I might add, but I guess CESpeed can speak for herself. I am not black and I certainly have heard the term or similar.

Nita

Old 06-01-2009, 07:45 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,754,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezyone View Post
You've got to be kidding....what world have you been living in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas