Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2007, 05:19 PM

1 posts, read 5,145 times

Advertisements

We currently live in southern Wisconsin. Retired, maybe looking to relocate to warmer climate. Former neighbors send glowing reports every Christmas card about their life in Fairfield Bay. We are reluctant to believe every glorious thing the neighbors write. We know it is a retirement community, has golf courses, is on a lake. My husband golfs, so he would be happy doing that. What activities are available for the golf widows? When does it start to turn hot and humid? When does it begin to cool down? Are there any upscale restaurants in F'field Bay, or must one drive a distance for that? Shopping? any boutiques nearby? Any educational opportunities for retirees? We actively participate in classes for seniors, studying a variety of subjects. Elsewhere on this forum, a person described F'field Bay as not the best investment location for real estate. Would appreciate any comments, pro or con. thanx.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:04 PM

388 posts, read 1,784,790 times
I don't live in FFB, just close. I'll do the best I can to answer your questions, but I have only been there a few times, so it's not like I'm an expert.

Quote:
What activities are available for the golf widows?
FFB is mostly a resort/vacation spot on Greers Ferry Lake, although the retirement community is growing.

As a resort area, fishing and golfing are pretty big. Is a fitness center in town, tennis courts and parks there too. Limited shopping. Some restaurants. FFB is fairly small, so it's not going to have many things you might find in a more populated area.

Antiquing is an attraction, lots of places in the area for that sort of stuff.

Or you could take up golf.

Closest town of any size is Heber Springs, about 6500 people, big by AR standards, but not a lot of stuff to do there beyond the normal central AR lifestyle.

What you do get is a very laid back lifestyle, Beautiful 4 season area, friendly people, very little crime, and an area that is not growing very fast (at least, I hope not)
Quote:
When does it start to turn hot and humid? When does it begin to cool down?
Was hot up until a few days ago, then the temperature dropped from 75/80(but that's not really the norm for that time of the year) to 55/60 (including an overnight freeze), but it's going back up (thank goodness)...was fairly humid mid March, but normally figure mid/late April through August as hot/humid.
Quote:
Are there any upscale restaurants in F'field Bay, or must one drive a distance for that?
No, if you mean trendy or chic. Little Rock is 75/80 miles, a good two hours away, because you're going to be traveling two lane highways, if you're looking for that kind of thing.
Quote:
Shopping? any boutiques nearby?
A few little stores in Heber that might loosely be called boutiques.
Quote:
Any educational opportunities for retirees? We actively participate in classes for seniors, studying a variety of subjects.
ASU-HS is being built. 4 year University, plus there are various and sundry classes you might find.

I would not look at FF Bay as an investment opportunity, but as a place to spend my retirement years with a slower paced lifestyle.

Doubt you'd make any money if you were to stay for only a couple three years then try to flip it. Other than the beauty of the place there's not much to attract a great horde of people to it for year around living. Some people do keep a vacation residence there, but not a lot.

That being said, it's too crowded for me; must be a couple of thousand people living there.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:37 AM

80 posts, read 209,827 times
We discovered Fairfield Bay about 4 years ago when I bought a small one-bedroom condo sight unseen. Pretty nervous about what we'd find when we went to the area for the first time, and ended up loving it. We've since bought a second place, a 'villa', and are definitely considering Fairfield Bay as our retirement destination.

The place is beautiful and has, it seems, quite a lot to do. There are two golf courses, a bowling alley, they're big on tennis and have nice courts as well as a fun miniature golf course. Right across the road from the main entrance is a riding stables, and of course they have a huge marina with dock space and boat and jetski rentals on one of the most beautiful lakes we've ever seen. The last time we were there there were a couple of restaurants there as well as each of the two convenience stores has a small restaurant area. Also the clubhouse has a nice restaurant, and because it's a 'dry' county it is pretty popular because it does have a liquor license. There is also a nice library, great new fitness facility and numerous clubs of various types active in the community.

It's a small community and shopping is limited. The first time we were there there was a small boutique type store in the mall downtown, but I don't know if that's still around. We've also driven past (but not stopped in) an artists gallery (not real sure what that is). There is a grocery store and a dollar store right outside the main entrance. Additional shopping would probably be in Clinton -- a couple little hardware stores, a few restaurants and a Walmart -- or we found the drive to Conway not bad, and they had the larger mall, box stores and restaurants.

Housing prices there have been dropping some, and I wouldn't necessarily consider it a great place to 'invest'. For while the rentals did very well because the oil companies were sending in lots of workers. They've pulled them out now, so rentals are a bit slow. I'm told real estate sales are pretty active right now. You can get a pretty decent golf front home for $125,000-$175,000. There are 'lakefront' homes available at higher prices, but because it is an Army Corps lake, they have to be set back from the water's edge quite a ways. I believe a few, not all, do have private docks. There others utilize the marina.

Housing prices and cost of living are really quite reasonable compared to other parts of the country and the natural beauty of the place is outstanding. I can see why your friends are so excited about retiring there; however for someone looking for a very active lifestyle with top rated restaurants and cultural activities I think it might be a disappointment. Personally we like the idea of a slower laid back lifestyle and feel like Fairfield Bay has most of the important things we'd be looking for, and the rest could be found on daytrips into Little Rock.

I would definitely spend some time there before making a move. There is no actual hotel, but there is a website, I think it's called 'fairfieldbayrentals.com' -- or I know Dale Tice of Tice Realty handles a number of rentals and would probably have some that could be available for a short-term stay. Also, if you have a timeshare and I believe it's RCI, the resort would be a possibility.

I believe the Fairfield Bay newspaper is available online, and they do have a radio station but I can't remember the call numbers on that. Also you can google the FFB Chamber of Commerce and learn more about the community.

Hope this helps a bit.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
I would look at Fairfield Bay, Hot Springs village and Bella Vista. Bella Vista is a little larger, infact a lot larger than FFB. I am not sure how it compares with HSV, sizewise, but I think it is larger as well. FFB, rught now will give you very limited access to decent shopping, upscale dining and good medical facilities. HSV will give you more options other than golf and fishing, BV will as well. BV, depending on where you live in the area is about 20 to 45 min from shopping malls, great medical facilities and both mid priced and upscaling dining. You still get the feeling of rural living, but have everything you need at your fingertips. HSV is similar but not with quite as many facilites. All three areas have golf, fishing, fitness centers and lake activities. FFB will have less expensive property and no, you will not get ridh on real estate there but you can enjoy your retirement years. Of course a lot has to do with what you consider reasonable.

Nita

ps" summer heat and humidity: FFB might be a little warmer than Bella Vista and HSV is certainly warmer than some places in AR, none are as bad as Texas. Here the humidity is starting to climb, but mostly our temps are still in the 70s. We have had a few days at 80 plus and are expecting low 60s for the weekend. Usually June to early Sept will have the warm air with high humidity. Night do cool off.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:29 AM

80 posts, read 209,827 times
Actually nmnita, I've been watching the real estate pretty avidly for several years now. A few years back we found, and absolutely loved Bella Vista, but it was in the midst of its 'explosion' of growth and the prices quickly skyrocketed to levels we weren't comfortable with. In part that's why we started looking at Fairfield Bay.

Depending on what you're looking for of course, lately I noticed in the $85,000-$125,000 range you can get a lot more house -- and newer-- in Bella Vista. Fairfield has some lower priced homes, but for the most part they're quite a bit smaller and older -- and many of them still have the panelled walls and orange shag carpet. In that $85-$125 price range BV seems to offer nicer, newer homes -- altho it's seldom you'll get one on the golf course in that price range in BV, and occasionally you can in Fairfield (knowing you'll probably be doing a remodel).

Fairfield does have less expensive condos than BV (lately starting as low as $28,000 and going up from there) -- but again, they'll be in the 900-1100 sq. ft range and possibly need some updating. That's not to say a lot of the BV homes and condos don't need a facelift as well. However BV did have that growth spurt where quite a few newer homes were built, and FFB hasn't seen that much new construction (mostly just custom homes, no spec homes by builders).

Old 05-11-2011, 09:34 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,184 times
You have responded to a four year old post in a dormant thread. Please check the date before posting. Thanks.

Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas