Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 08:44 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
I did say that and the few people I met were very nice, but I was only in Pine Bluff for half a day when I went.

As you have also read, and as CESpeed has called me out on, I have changed my intial opinion about the city. My initial opinion was based on a meeting with two people. After further research about the city, and looking at the real estate in the area, my opinion changed. I am sure there are some low-life thugs in Pine Bluff and I would imagine there are a lot of them based on the crime data, but I will say that there are at least two really good people in the city.
I've never been there, but looking at the commerce there I can see the potential for attracting "low rents".

Any time you have a military base, you have a big draw for service people (cafeteria workers etc). The service people may be the hardest working, nicest people you meet, but there is a huge potential that their offspring isn't because of the amount of time left without guidance, seeing people that have things they don't, etc.

Some towns have ghetto areas. It's not someplace where they get on the web every once in a while to post on city-data. I would certainly not be surprised to find that Pine Bluff has a section of that.

However, I refuse to believe that every a-hole in the state of Arkansas decided to move there and snarl at anyone with the misfortune of moving there or passing through.

Obviously your experience validates that.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:53 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,313,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Some towns have ghetto areas. It's not someplace where they get on the web every once in a while to post on city-data. I would certainly not be surprised to find that Pine Bluff has a section of that.
In Pine Bluff, you have to look for the section that isn't ghetto. Unlike most of the towns in the Central and Northern portions of the state, ghetto is the rule in PB, rather than the exception.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:29 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
In Pine Bluff, you have to look for the section that isn't ghetto. Unlike most of the towns in the Central and Northern portions of the state, ghetto is the rule in PB, rather than the exception.
This is very, very true. (although I'm sure there are some perfectly nice people living there)

Old 09-22-2009, 02:26 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,481,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
This is very, very true. (although I'm sure there are some perfectly nice people living there)
I am sure there are nice people, so that would be a nice thing about Pine Bluff then. Every area has some good and less desirable areas

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:50 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,977 times
Never been, but a good friend from college was from PB.

S.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:56 AM

483 posts, read 1,561,005 times
OK... wasn't the point of this thread to say something NICE about Pine Bluff??

I think a positive about Pine Bluff is that it is close to many outdoor activities such as camping, hiking, hunting, fishing, and boating. There are also some great places for arts and entertainment such as the Pine Bluff Convention Center, Pine Bluff Symphony, and the Arts and Science Center for Southeast Arkansas. If that isn't enough positive you can always look to the Regional Park Complex that boasts RV hook-ups, boat launches, golf course, baseball fileds, archery range, beaches and more. Yes Pine Bluff may carry with it a certain repuation (as any place can), but you can always find a sliver lining if you are just open enough to see it!

Old 09-25-2009, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,333 times
Pine Bluff is mostly ghetto. That is very correct. There are basically no good jobs in the area. The railroad has a few but since U.P. took it over they've been trying to firgure out how to close it down. The paper mill has a few good jobs but you better know someone or have family working there or it will take you years to get hired for a smelly dirty job of long hrs and shift work. Hey you can go to school and get a medical job at the one and only local hospital in the area. But if you do expect to be treated very poorly by the upper managment. They constantly work short staffed. Cut hrs, change rules, change schedules of workers without telling them and have been known to tell there workers you're a dime a dozen and like it or leave. They are willng to do treat the workers any way just to maximize profits and take home bigger bonuses. I once had to go to a meeting there for my director to tell our deparment if we were caught talking about some rule changes and them firing some people just cuz they didn't like them. We would be fired on the spot. I mean come on.... Are you kidding me? They'd had a twisted buddy system in the towns biggest employer for like 20 years now and it's well known you can put up with it or they'll get rid of you even if you do a very good job. Which leaves mostly lazy non caring workers who put take bad treatment and don't really do their jobs. So the good workers that do come through the area. LEAVE and the ones that stay are the ones who like the fact they can be lazy as long as they come in when told and don't say anything about the mistreatment of some workers. It's sad. I tried to stay in that town hoping it would turn around. I just got tired of the crime. My car was broken into 5 times in 7 years. My carport once. And the month I left there 2 of my best friends houses were broken into. I know everywhere has crime but that place is ridicoulus. I wish I could take up for my hometown. I always hoped something would stop the downfall. I only know of about 10 people I went to school with who still live there. That includes black and white. It's not a racial thing. Everyone who can leaves. I would tell anyone thinking about moving there that unless you just like crime. Bad treatment anywhere you work. Low income and very few jobs. Olny a hand full of decent places to eat and almost nothing for kids or young couplest to do. Then don't even consider moving in the area. Sad but very true... That's an honest view of someone who spent 20 years thinking it can't get worse... It always did....

Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/arkan...#ixzz0S91K4KO7

Old 09-25-2009, 01:15 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,112,180 times
LovesAR: Thank you for acknowledging that the problems in Pine Bluff are not racial rather economic.

RTTNFAM: Thank you actually saying something nice about the town. When I move to Arkansas, I'll be sure to make some visits over there.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:24 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTNFAM View Post
OK... wasn't the point of this thread to say something NICE about Pine Bluff??

I think a positive about Pine Bluff is that it is close to many outdoor activities such as camping, hiking, hunting, fishing, and boating. There are also some great places for arts and entertainment such as the Pine Bluff Convention Center, Pine Bluff Symphony, and the Arts and Science Center for Southeast Arkansas. If that isn't enough positive you can always look to the Regional Park Complex that boasts RV hook-ups, boat launches, golf course, baseball fileds, archery range, beaches and more. Yes Pine Bluff may carry with it a certain repuation (as any place can), but you can always find a sliver lining if you are just open enough to see it!
Thank you....

For heaven's sakes, thank you.

I was getting ready to question of our most learned minister next Sunday.

OK.....let me get this straight.....you're absolutely positive that if I live a *really* sinful, bad life, I'm going to hell?

Not Pine Bluff?

Because..I *really* don't want to end up in Pine Bluff.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:01 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,481,729 times
Default closed

Since most the posts in this thread have been off topic, full of racism and negative, this thread is now closed.

When in doubt read the TOS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas