Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 01:34 PM

7 posts, read 62,961 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My wife and I are thinking about moving to Hot Springs Village in 2008. We hear it is a beautiful area with lots of amenities for outdoor activties. We are both in our mid-fifties and hope to semi-retire and enjoy all the great outdoor activities the area has to offer. Our only concern is that we are not ready yet for a retirement community of senior citizens only. Any information on the age make-up of the HSV community would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 11:52 PM

288 posts, read 1,079,085 times
As of the 2000 census, 5.8% of the population was 35-44, 8.6% was 45-54, and 8% was 55-59. HSV is getting younger all the time, I'd expect the 35-59 population to be a higher percentage now than in 2000.

go to Census Bureau Home Page the zip code is 71909, which includes limited areas outside of HSV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBOUND View Post
Hi All,

My wife and I are thinking about moving to Hot Springs Village in 2008. We hear it is a beautiful area with lots of amenities for outdoor activties. We are both in our mid-fifties and hope to semi-retire and enjoy all the great outdoor activities the area has to offer. Our only concern is that we are not ready yet for a retirement community of senior citizens only. Any information on the age make-up of the HSV community would be appreciated.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:30 AM

Jeff, Thanks for the info on the hsv population. Its good to know that the community is getting younger and has a mix of different ages

Any under 60 hsv residence out there who can tell me what life is like in a community with a majority of its population who are retired and over 60.

Are there enough activities for the younger population? Do residents commute to jobs? Are there families and children living in the community?
Do the younger residents feel like outsiders in their own community?

Thanks for any info you may have

Old 09-01-2007, 12:58 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Any under 60 hsv residence out there who can tell me what life is like in a community with a majority of its population who are retired and over 60.

I am 47, have been a regular visitor to the Villages for more than 20 years (parents live there). I know a few families with young kids. They seem happy--the schools are good, and it's a nice, safe area for kids to play with lots of trails, woods, and lakes to explore. Traffic is relatively slow and safe inside the Village, which is good for kids on bikes. But... you don't see a lot of kids out playing, except maybe in their own yards.

Are there enough activities for the younger population?

There is a nice mini golf range, as well as pool/gym. There are plenty of trails and kids like to swim in the lakes. My parents have lakefront property--I don't know if you can swim in the lakes if you don't own a house there.

Do residents commute to jobs?

No! Do not move to the Villages unless you are planning to open a business there or work from your home. There is nothing nearby, and jobs are particularly scarce since Weyerhauser closed operations in the next town.

Are there families and children living in the community? Yes, but it might be hard to find playmates your own age. Of course, it's easy to find friendly grandparents with visiting grandkids.

Do the younger residents feel like outsiders in their own community? The people I've met seem to like it, but I think it could feel odd to some people to be in the minority.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:04 PM

Default Village Inn can give you advice

If you are planning to visit hsv, I would recommend staying at a motel that's right outside hsv main gates. I believe it is called the Village Inn. The people who own it are very friendly and they are young people who live in hsv and are raising kids. I'm sure they could give you some good advice. The motel is also in the middle of the shopping plaza, so you can get a good idea of the amenities available.

One other thing I forgot to mention above: hsv is big. I mean really, really big. I ahve to drive 11 miles from my dad's place just to get to the front gates--so unless you get a job right there in the shopping plaza, it is not realistic to commute anywhere.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:05 PM

After I posted the above I read through the thread again and realized you are considering moving to hsv for early retirement. It isn't that you have a young family, but that you'd like to be in a community with young families.

If that's the case, it's hard to say if hsv would feel comfortable for you. I, myself, am 47 and would feel VERY comfortable living there. But... I know some other couples in their 50's who feel they moved to hsv too soon. I think they miss being around a lot of kids all the time. I don't have children myself, and frankly, I'm looking forward to getting away from kids, kids, kids and more kids... so I fit in well at hsv.

I like kids, but in small doses. I prefer the company of adults, so I'm happier at hsv than in my own family-oriented neighborhood. At hsv you will meet a lot of adults in many different age ranges, but kids are a rare commodity, a treat to be enjoyed just once in awhile.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:38 PM

288 posts, read 1,079,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
There are plenty of trails and kids like to swim in the lakes. My parents have lakefront property--I don't know if you can swim in the lakes if you don't own a house there.
There are several lake beaches that are open to all property owners / guests, I wouldn't jump in anywhere else.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:26 AM

Maggiemae, thanks for the population stats. It appears that at least 35-40% of the HSV population in under 60 and that seems like a pretty good diverse population, even though a good majority is over 60.

Any under 60 HSV residence out there care to comment on the pros & cons about living in the community?

Thanks for all your comments in this thread. I think we have enough info to at least justify a visit to HSV in the next few months to check it out.

How is the weather like during October and November?

Thanks again

Old 09-03-2007, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 4,714 times
Default Hot Springs Village: Semi-retire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBOUND View Post
Hi All,

My wife and I are thinking about moving to Hot Springs Village in 2008. We hear it is a beautiful area with lots of amenities for outdoor activities. We are both in our mid-fifties and hope to semi-retire and enjoy all the great outdoor activities the area has to offer. Our only concern is that we are not ready yet for a retirement community of senior citizens only. Any information on the age make-up of the HSV community would be appreciated.
I have lived in HSV since May 2006. It is a great place to visit and play golf and tennis. The Village was designed for golfers; it has quality golf courses that are beautifully manicured and groomed. These are the activities for "active seniors".
But if you move here, plan to retire completely, not semi-retire. There are virtually NO part-time or full time jobs. Little Rock is over an hour or 1 and 1/2 hour drive from the Village. If you are tired of commuting to work, this is not the place to semi-retire. If you can telecommute or run a business from your home, that would be ideal.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:38 AM

3 posts, read 13,581 times
Default hot springs.

I live in hot springs, and I can recomend it highly.
It has many adds for employment in the paper for health care needs.
You have a good size town to shop for most of what you need. and Little Rock is only 45 min. away with 4 lane most of the way.
The town has many things to offer. and two live shows. many festivals. A growing art comunity, historic distric. And in general is a growing nice place to live. I would put it second only to eurika springs but that place rolls up its streets in winter.
Mt. home you have to be happy with super wal-mart. There is nothing to do in mt home, and no good roads to get out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas