Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,570 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a teaching position or two in Arkansas, one in particular in Mena that I'm very interested in. I grew up in a very rural deep south region that is a little smaller than the current Mena, so I'm familiar with the way of life. After growing up there and then living in Texas, South Dakota, Chicago, Wisconsin, and Virginia while in school, I'm now looking to settle, and enjoy a nice rural life surrounded by good people.
How does Mena stack up for a single someone in their early 30s looking for a change?
In advance, my thanks!
J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 05:24 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
I go to Mena as often as possible to see my daughter and 3 grandchildren. One of my grandaughters graduated from Mena last year and I would say her education seemed typical. The other 2 are still in school and they seem to be thriving in the small school atmosphere. The town itself has everything one would need for entertainment and shopping.With the exception of it being in a "dry" county. But the Oklahoma border is only 20 miles away to get your beer fix.The Mena area is an outdoorsmans dream! Lakes,rivers,mountains and forest! I wish I had land there. I think you could certainly do worse than Mena! Good luck whatever you decide!

Old 02-09-2010, 02:29 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,377,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxholmes View Post
I'm considering a teaching position or two in Arkansas, one in particular in Mena that I'm very interested in. I grew up in a very rural deep south region that is a little smaller than the current Mena, so I'm familiar with the way of life. After growing up there and then living in Texas, South Dakota, Chicago, Wisconsin, and Virginia while in school, I'm now looking to settle, and enjoy a nice rural life surrounded by good people.
How does Mena stack up for a single someone in their early 30s looking for a change?
In advance, my thanks!
J
I fully agree with Capt. Dan. Although circumstances caused me to leave there many, many years ago, I grew up there and still have family there and they refuse to leave.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:11 AM

10 posts, read 29,181 times
Default What?! Really?

For someone with a diverse background, you might be bored and shocked with the lack of things to do (unless you like outdoors stuff). Its an impoverished area (low middle class) and very sad. I lived there for a few years in middle school and kept in touch with a few friends there. A lot of the girls that go to school there never leave Mena and often don't graduate. For the teachers, its tough to see their hard work wasted by teen pregnancy or to see kids who are simply too afraid to leave the nest. I would definitely visit the town before saying yes or no.

P.S. Entertainment? Shopping? You mean Wal-Mart? Cause that's the only store there! Public library, a joke. Community College, may be the only good thing about the town. Two screen movie theater - a joke. Restaurants - all of them go out of business eventually; only ones that make money? Pizza Hut, McDonald's, Subway, etc. Meth use and suicide are high since there's nothing to do in this town.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinggirl1000 View Post
For someone with a diverse background, you might be bored and shocked with the lack of things to do (unless you like outdoors stuff). Its an impoverished area (low middle class) and very sad. I lived there for a few years in middle school and kept in touch with a few friends there. A lot of the girls that go to school there never leave Mena and often don't graduate. For the teachers, its tough to see their hard work wasted by teen pregnancy or to see kids who are simply too afraid to leave the nest. I would definitely visit the town before saying yes or no.

P.S. Entertainment? Shopping? You mean Wal-Mart? Cause that's the only store there! Public library, a joke. Community College, may be the only good thing about the town. Two screen movie theater - a joke. Restaurants - all of them go out of business eventually; only ones that make money? Pizza Hut, McDonald's, Subway, etc. Meth use and suicide are high since there's nothing to do in this town.
You do realize dont you that you are describing small town life that exists in 99% of small town America? Just because there are no Macys,Starbucks or Pier 1 doesnt mean kids have to go out and become meth heads,pregnant or suicidal. Kids do those things because they choose to do those things. And they do those things with alot more frequency in big cities than they do little ones. And please dont underestimate the allure of the outdoors that surrounds Mena. It is paradise! Just waiting to be taken advantage of. The Ouachita Mountains and National Forest also bring big $$ to Mena from the tourists who come there. Without Menas wonderful surroundings you would have what? Tyson Chickens and disgruntled former schoolgirls? Untwist your panties young lady and be fair. One persons jr high memories are not fact. They are just memories.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:59 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,357,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinggirl1000 View Post
A lot of the girls that go to school there never leave Mena and often don't graduate.
I hate to use sources and objectivity after a post like yours, but Mena has had over an 85% graduation rate for at least the last five years (only data that I found). If your hyperbole was correct, that would mean that there is about a 15% female population in the school. No wonder they are all pregnant.

Arkansas School Performance Reports

By the way, the national graduation rate is around 65%, the state;s is around 75%. Mena is doing just fine. It sounds to me like you must have had a bad experience and feel the need to belittle your former classmates.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:26 PM

10 posts, read 29,181 times
Okay, kudos, I will say that yes, a lot of girls do graduate from high school, but as I recall, teen pregnancy is still high. I stand by that as well as the boring atmosphere in the town. It might not be boring to people with ATVs, hunters, or fishermen but for kids and teens, it can be pretty boring. Oh, what's that sucking sound? I think that everyone leaving town after the tornado!

Old 03-23-2010, 08:09 PM

Hmmmmm Capt Dan and Dr Foosball tells it like it really is. Sucking sound after the tornado? My family, who still lives there, didn't hear it. And, after high school, they got busy and opened their own businesses. And, gee, have I missed something?

Old 03-24-2010, 06:04 AM

I think that whoosh sound was indicative of the speed with which small town neighbors came to each others rescue in a moment of crises. But what does that count for when that small town doesnt have a 100 store mall? Geesh!

Old 03-24-2010, 08:03 PM

Neighbor helping neighbor! Right on!! It was fantastic!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas