Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 08:00 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,119,365 times

Advertisements

Turkey is not one of the world's "poorest nations". It fits better in the middle-income category. Of course, a country's per-capita GDP and level of religiosity are inversely correlated. Perhaps this goes back to the fact that as people become wealthier, they are less likely to trust in God to provide and more in themselves and their government institutions. The U.S. is a major exception to this rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 08:04 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,857,528 times
How religious is Turkey?

Interestingly enough, I have never witnessed a turkey at prayer, well......not a feathered one anyway. You would think them more religious the closer it gets to November. So many are sacrificed to the "feast" gods.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:34 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Turkey is not one of the world's "poorest nations". It fits better in the middle-income category.
I should have mentioned that how that article is titled was not my doing and is not related to where Turkey is at. It's just the title of the most recent study on religiousness by nation I knew of and that's why I linked to it.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:39 PM

212 posts, read 399,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
I recently knew a young woman from Turkey who was not a practicing Muslim but she definitely thought of herself as Muslim.
Merhaba! (means "Hello" in Turkish, originally from Arabic)

When I was a student, I had a chance to have lunch with a Turkish. Here is what happened.

He: Hey, what are you eating? Looks very attractive!

Me: Oh, no. You can't try this. This is pork cutlet.

He: Don't worry. I'm not in Turkey right now!

Me: Go ahead, if you insist...

He: What a delicious food! I'm gonna order this next lunch!

Me: ...

Old 01-07-2011, 08:43 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,126,252 times
I still find it immensely hard to believe 99% of Turkey believes in Islam. Like there's no skeptics in the country at all???

Old 01-08-2011, 05:11 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuji View Post
Merhaba! (means "Hello" in Turkish, originally from Arabic)

When I was a student, I had a chance to have lunch with a Turkish. Here is what happened.

He: Hey, what are you eating? Looks very attractive!

Me: Oh, no. You can't try this. This is pork cutlet.

He: Don't worry. I'm not in Turkey right now!

Me: Go ahead, if you insist...

He: What a delicious food! I'm gonna order this next lunch!

Me: ...
Heh heh, reminds me of several Jewish families I knew when I was in college. They kept strict kosher homes, but loved going out to Chinese restaurants when they ate shrimp, pork, etc.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:45 PM

39 posts, read 63,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
I still find it immensely hard to believe 99% of Turkey believes in Islam. Like there's no skeptics in the country at all???
Why is it so hard to believe? Can you believe that 1 in every 5 people in the whole wide world is a muslim? That's the truth! And yes, there are an extremely large number of muslims in Turkey. 99% of the entire population seems just about accurate.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:25 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,014,419 times
Quote:
I would idk, guess maybe Turkey is 80% Muslim? i mean 99% seems impossible, skeptics exist in every society.
There are countries in the world where nearly 100% of those surveyed identify as religious, such as Pakistan. Even if skeptics exist, the social pressure to answer correctly would overwhelm them considering the society they live in.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:41 PM

2,226 posts, read 5,107,478 times
Quote:

-----

There is no relationship whatsoever between religion adscription and being secular. Spain is 99% Catholic, with a recent past of Catholic Fundamentalism. Protestants were harassed here 50 years ago and some Protestant churches were thrashed during the 50's.
Now Spain is one of the most secular countries in the world.
It seems that people do just the opposite of what the government wants. In Spain during the 40's and 50's, Franco imposed National-Catholicism but it was rejected by the Spanish people.
In Turkey it seem it's the other way around.
Kemal Atartuk imposed laicism, but the Turkish people from "Deep Turkey" rejected it.
It seems there is a big chism between Istambul and inland Turkey, if they can't solve this problem, Turkey will never be part of the EEC and Kemal Atartuk's dream will vanish.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:03 AM

9 posts, read 26,273 times
Yeah, maybe %99 is exaggerated, but most of people can believe in something even though they don't practice it!

As a Turk,I think it must be something between %90-95. Only %20-25 of them practise daily I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia