Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 05:27 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbound244 View Post
This disappointing thread about life in Shanghai. Too many ignorant comments and cliched stereotypes from people who have either not been here or haven't actually lived here for a while. I guess the OP has already relocated here and is hopefully content.

I've been here almost two years and, while it certainly isn't on par with Singapore for quality of life or with many European cities for urban beauty, Shanghai is for the most part very livable, affordable (although inflation might become a problem), safe, and fun for a Western expat to live in. I know expats from Europe, the US, and other parts of Asia that love it here.

People overstate the 'oppressive' government thing. Shanghai isn't Tibet or Xinjiang, where there are genuine, violent separatist movements. If anything, there aren't enough police in Shanghai to keep drivers from breaking the law and to fine people for spitting.

And for all the idiotic talk about the consumption of dogs... I haven't seen that here. And a typical Chinese diet is a lot healthier than a typical American one full of junk food.
No joke.
My sister lived in Shanghai for 5 years; I visited twice for 3 weeks.
They loved living there.
The center of the old town is great fun. There's a tea house in the middle of the lake. Follow the line of people to the second floor restaurant with great dumplings.
Outside of the old town, if you make a left and walk down to the corner, make a left and you'll find many tea shops (mostly on the left hand side of the street). They sell amazing teas, the jasmine is divine. Make sure you try some of the flowering jasmine. Turn right and you'll see some 1 Yuan shops. Like the US Dollar Shops but for 1 Yuan. They're fun.
The Bund is beautiful. You can breakfast atop some of the buildings for a treat.
My sister lived in Pudong but moved into downtown and perferred town.
You'll find great knock off shopping areas; very good restaurants; excellent public transport.
The Shanghai Museum is very nice; the top (I think 5th) floor is filled with information about and costumes from Hill Tribes.
Accupuncture and Chinese traditional medicine is abundant.
Bootleg DVDs are about 10 Yuan.

Shanghai is a great place to trave from. We visited Xian to see the Terra Cotta Army; you can take the train or fly to Beijing (marvelous trip, don't miss the Chinese Circus - not a circus but acrobats), the Great Wall, etc.

Day trips outside of Shanghai are also abundant and delightful.
Look at this: Best Things to Do Around Shanghai - Best Day Trips from Shanghai.

My opinion is that you should always take advantage of the opportunities presented to you. You're going to have a great learning experience. The kids will grow in leaps and bounds and become better people by having lived outside of the US and in a totally different culture.
I've lived in East Asia and Europe as well as the US. Each new move makes me more confident and open to the world around me.

Look at all of the new experiences ahead of you.

Fear and exitement are the same energy, it just depends on what you choose to feel.

Take advantage of the offer, you only live once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 12:42 PM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,398 times
I'll say what nobody else here has even bothered to mention, which really frustrates me in posts like these. If you are an American looking to live overseas especially in countries that don't have a decent amount of exposure to "all americans", this is where your race (as an american) can come into play. It would probably be important to post whether or not you are hispanic, black, white, jewish, etc. Your experience can vary greatly based on your race as an American. As a young, black, american, ex-military male I have spent time living in South Korea, China, Japan, and other countries. While you will always be referred to as an American first due to your language and culture, if you are black or hispanic (as I have noticed throughout my travels) you will undoubtedly get the oddball/fish out of water experience more so than a white american. I don't think it's a racial/racist thing though, just that some countries haven't been exposed to black american or hispanic american culture at all.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:41 PM

385 posts, read 858,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
I'll say what nobody else here has even bothered to mention, which really frustrates me in posts like these. If you are an American looking to live overseas especially in countries that don't have a decent amount of exposure to "all americans", this is where your race (as an american) can come into play. It would probably be important to post whether or not you are hispanic, black, white, jewish, etc. Your experience can vary greatly based on your race as an American. As a young, black, american, ex-military male I have spent time living in South Korea, China, Japan, and other countries. While you will always be referred to as an American first due to your language and culture, if you are black or hispanic (as I have noticed throughout my travels) you will undoubtedly get the oddball/fish out of water experience more so than a white american. I don't think it's a racial/racist thing though, just that some countries haven't been exposed to black american or hispanic american culture at all.
I must agree with you, I am a white American and while in China, both north and south, I've noticed that there are not many black Americans there and the ones I have seen are treated differently than I was, not bad, and not any worse than I, just differently, like they weren't sure how to treat them.
This one gentleman ( a black American ) seemed to be having some problems buying fruit and the people that owned the stand were just looking at him like he was crazy and no one would help him, so, I went over to him and asked if he needed help, I'd never seen anyone so happy to hear English before, except maybe me after being there for a month haha, he told me what he wanted and I told the stand owners and after that they treated him the same as they were treating me... as a laowie, so I think it as you are saying, they just don't know how to react to black or hispanic peoples.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:53 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I hope that's not with bean sprouts and soy sauce, , sorry I couldn't resist, I don't want to promote stereotypes. For instance the Swiss eat dogs too, but no one has a cow at them for doing so do they?
Part of their main cuisine? I thought only asian countries had it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia