Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 11:44 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Again.. they are Indians (first and foremost), and Goan second, not Portugese. The only reason some of them spoke (perhaps some still speak) Portugese at all was because they were colonized by Portugal. One would think that's not something one would consider heritage. Except maybe for Portugese Anglo-Indians who have Portugese ancestry in their blood.

The fact that the Indian government changed the names of a lot of their cities from British versions to their true Indian names (Bombay to Mumbai, Calcutta to Kolkata, etc..) makes it clear that they do not consider their past colonialism as their 'cherished' heritage.
I know an Indian family that doesn't speak their own language to their kids. They are both Indians but speak English to their kids. Kids do not speak any other language except English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 03:24 AM

3 posts, read 3,874 times
Well,
Goa is changed a lot these days. Goa government is not allowing Indians to drink alcohol in/near beaches to keep it clean as well as this will decrease the number of fools around the beach. Another change is that there are many hotels who owns their own beach so that only people from that hotel can visit the beach without any interference of people with loads of cloths . best season to visit Goa is in the month of December as the Carnival starts from 25th there. But before visiting make sure you have valid booking of Hotels and a group to enjoy.

There is 1 place near Goa which is Known as Tarkarli which is Beautiful place with low crowd. I prefer going Tarkarli rather than Goa. Yes you get good hard drinks in Panji.

(I dont know how to see this post again as I am new to forum so might not get this post again, still i hope this will help you all to plan your trips. )

:-)

Old 01-02-2014, 06:29 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,687,258 times
In 1961, Portuguese left and Goa came under India rule. Portuguese was official language of Goa but common people of Goa used to speak Konkani language. Portuguese was spoken, understood because it was official language but then after 1961, that place has been taken by English. I had friends from Goa who used to speak Konkani at home with their family members, Hindi at school, University with friends who were from other parts of India and English at work, studies as English is medium of education in most schools.
Portuguese speaking white Goans immigrated long time ago to Portugal.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:25 AM

18 posts, read 18,259 times
Never been to place...but heard a lot about ... and surely wanna be there.. this will really help me

Old 01-06-2014, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,195 times
In india goa is most beautiful beach spot, famous for European turists . mostly for rich people because it is expensive. ..in india it is place famous for drugs other intoxication after mumbai. ..but ya it is beautiful place you must enjoy it. .

Old 01-27-2014, 06:45 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,321,858 times
Goa, India has lots of Portuguese influence due to the area being a Portuguese colony. Many people in Goa do speak Portuguese and are Roman Catholic.

There are also incursions of Dutch and Arabic influences. There are also Gypsy and Sephardic Jewish influences as well.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:38 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanbasrur View Post
Be sure to avoid the "off-season" (monsoons, June thro' Aug). You can have a great time on a budget and an awesome time if you have some $$ to spend.
Good point. Something to keep in mind, for sure.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:47 PM

327 posts, read 568,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Anyone been here? Sounds like a popular place for hippies once upon a time. Then became ground zero for rave scenes. I've heard since some incident happened, they closed everything down at 10pm.

Never having been there, curious what Goa is like exactly. Is it basically the beach scene? From my understanding, ONLY the tourists wear swimwear though, and NONE of the locals do. There are also tons of locals everywhere as well.

I always thought it would just be strange to be in the great minority wearing a swimsuit at a beach, with everyone else wearing a ton of clothing around you, all doing the same beach activities.
A couple of weeks ago I visited Kerala, then Karnataka (buffer state if you will between Kerala and Goa), and Goa. Most of these descriptions of Goa are accurate, but let me put in a plug for Karnataka, especially Gokarna. Now here is a beach town with two large lovely beaches, Kudle an Om - it is a more traditional town with cows wandering around the streets, local people going about their daily business. These beaches have a few bars and restaurants, but they are much lower density than any beaches I saw in Goa. This was in late February-early March. There were very few foreign tourists; certainly nothing like the major beach towns in Goa. And the beaches were clean. Also, there are no vendors bugging you “visit my shop”, “Massage.” (BTW, only men massage men over there. Getting a massage from lady is verboten!).

Last edited by Chasva69; 03-25-2015 at 09:07 PM..

Old 03-25-2015, 09:14 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Goa, India has lots of Portuguese influence due to the area being a Portuguese colony. Many people in Goa do speak Portuguese and are Roman Catholic.

There are also incursions of Dutch and Arabic influences. There are also Gypsy and Sephardic Jewish influences as well.
I have never read about any Gypsy influences in Goa I suspect this person meant Hippy.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:58 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
So Goa is no longer a hippie haven?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia