Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 08:43 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,477,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsider View Post
The recent tragedy in Japan.... how many Japanese people did you see engaging in looting?
That is because they were able to get the supplies they needed in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 09:07 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
The recent tragedy in Japan.... how many Japanese people did you see engaging in looting?
Cultural differences.

In Japan (and Asia), you think about the community, and what's best for the group. Looting is just NOT a good thing to do to your society, and group. You're hurting yourself collectively as a group, etc.

Whereas in western cultures, things are very 'me' first. What can I get, what can I do that I like. You pretty much NEVER think about 'others'.

Story about the SONY WALKMAN. It was created in Japan, as a way to listen to music without bothering other people. Whereas in the west, we don't think of it in those terms. We think it's just a great way to 'shut out the rest of the world', so they don't bother me.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 05-07-2011 at 09:16 AM..

Old 05-07-2011, 03:24 PM

896 posts, read 1,864,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
That is because they were able to get the supplies they needed in the first place.
Oh? Surely it wasn't only Japan that was able to get food etc in times of disaster and even civil strife.

I saw another natural disaster in the West where people were looting shops for TVs etc.

Perhaps the Japanese really are more civilised than they are often given credit for.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Oh? Surely it wasn't only Japan that was able to get food etc in times of disaster and even civil strife.

I saw another natural disaster in the West where people were looting shops for TVs etc.

Perhaps the Japanese really are more civilised than they are often given credit for.
No, they are not more civilised. They had the supplies that they needed. There gov't didn't take forever and a day to help them. And if some people looted shops for TV's, big deal? The vast majority of people did not. It is silly to deify one group of human beings over another.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:57 PM

241 posts, read 742,743 times
Agree with Marissy. Some Japanese did steal, but you have to follow the local news to know that. They don't have spectacular video of people looting shops to blast in the national media. In general, the idea Japanese barely commit crimes, their country is so clean, everyone is kind, is misleading.

1. There's not a lot of violent crime, but there's still rape, theft (bikes, items from shops), organized crime (to the point it affects major aspects of society, like politics, development, sports, entertainment), etc. It's not to the degree of some of the bad areas of the US of course. Countries with less crime tend to have less income inequality, and Japan has among the lowest. Lack of poverty, to a point it makes life miserable for those in it, helps as well and Japan had been quite prosperous, but the poverty rate is now increasing quite a bit. The fact people are everywhere is also a deterrent. Hard to feel safe committing crimes when there's likely at least one or more witnesses always around.

2. People litter. I saw it everywhere, but you have shop owners and local residents who clean up after others. You also can't find a trash can anywhere in public in Tokyo at least, so people dump their garbage on the ground, stuff it in recycling boxes, or in the baskets on people's bikes.

3. People can be kind in a completely mandatory, repetitive phrase sort of way. You may also get treated differently/ignored a lot as a foreigner. Try renting an apartment, or buying some expensive item where sales staff are supposed to go out of their way to help people and see what happens.

Lastly, it is true there is overall less crime, particular violent crime, in Japan and it is clean and people try to avoid being confrontational and aggressive to each other, but there's rational reasons to explain that rather than simply they're a special ethnic group who are inherently better than everyone else.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:06 AM

896 posts, read 1,864,864 times
Quote:
No, they are not more civilised.
Your opinion.

Quote:
They had the supplies that they needed.
Ah, so you were there. Terrible disaster wasn't it?

Quote:
There gov't didn't take forever and a day to help them.
Some are complaining that the government done nothing. I suppose you'll get that sort of criticism in all cultures.

Quote:
And if some people looted shops for TV's, big deal?
Oh yes, they looted damaged homes too. Not in Japan I hasten to add.

Quote:
It is silly to deify one group of human beings over another.
I agree, it's wrong to put anyone on a pedestal. Still, it's nice to know that the Japanese people are so respectful to their fellow man and his property.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:14 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,054 times
Quote:
And if some people looted shops for TV's, big deal? The vast majority of people did not. It is silly to deify one group of human beings over another.
Imo there are good and bad people everywhere. Not one group is better than other, bc people are people and everyone is different. It is just impossible to say "the Z are better, politer, more civilized than the Y".

Yes, huge deal. Seriously, looting stores - or other people's homes - especially during a disaster, and to steal something that is absolutely unnecessary, is beyond unacceptable.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:23 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
I got mugged in Tokyo Airport, and again in Yokohama. There are plenty of Armpits in Japan. The park around the Imperial Palace is another place to stay out of after dark

Old 05-08-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Your opinion.

Ah, so you were there. Terrible disaster wasn't it?

Some are complaining that the government done nothing. I suppose you'll get that sort of criticism in all cultures.

Oh yes, they looted damaged homes too. Not in Japan I hasten to add.

I agree, it's wrong to put anyone on a pedestal. Still, it's nice to know that the Japanese people are so respectful to their fellow man and his property.
So, you like TOTALLY ignored what poxonyou wrote. Like what poxonyou wrote, most of the "well mannered" smiles and stuff is mostly repetitive actions that they feel they are required to do in public. It is like a front that they are taught to have. All my Japanese friends gave me this fake front when I first met them, but as we became closer it stopped and they started acting different/taking it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Imo there are good and bad people everywhere. Not one group is better than other, bc people are people and everyone is different. It is just impossible to say "the Z are better, politer, more civilized than the Y".

Yes, huge deal. Seriously, looting stores - or other people's homes - especially during a disaster, and to steal something that is absolutely unnecessary, is beyond unacceptable.
Um, yeah, I did not mean it in that manner. I mean "big deal" as in it is expected, and he shouldn't use that as a litmus test for civilization. Yes, stealing is wrong, but we are not in a perfect world of rainbows and sugary sunshine. Some people will steal and take advantage of others, but the vast majority of the people did not. Some people in Japan did steal a bit as well after the disaster. So, northsider should forget his misinformed ideas that the Japanese are more "civilized" based on theft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I got mugged in Tokyo Airport, and again in Yokohama. There are plenty of Armpits in Japan. The park around the Imperial Palace is another place to stay out of after dark
Yeah, I am betting northsider will ignore your post too.

Last edited by Marissy; 05-08-2011 at 10:03 AM..

Old 05-08-2011, 12:21 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I'm saying it makes it a better country, simply because the QOL is higher. It is a culture where generations of people have been raised to mutually respect one another, and that also makes the QOL better. In America, if you are too nice and respecful then people will walk all over you.
That's what the travel pages tell you. There are slums in Japan and there are people who will knock you down and take your wallet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia