Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 10:38 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,793,881 times

Advertisements

List of largest shopping malls in the world - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Continuing on from my previous thread, a look at the biggest shopping malls in the world reveals most are in Asia, with China and Southeast Asia dominating. None are in Japan or Korea. I'm wondering, are the malls just smaller there, or are there fewer of them, with more of a 'high street' shopping scene like in Europe? Singapore, KL, Manila, Jakarta, Dubai seem more mall-dominated than Seoul and Tokyo, with Taipei and HK. I notice the malls in Taipei seem strangely small and unimpressive, also rather oddly laid out too.

While I'm not a big mall rat, I do appreciate the air-conditioned shopping malls in tropical Singapore or KL. Plus there's everything you need. The UAE is also an up and comer. Of course, Singapore and KL still has decent street-level shopping, but it seems more mall-orientated than North-east Asia. China is probably in between.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:10 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,744,395 times
maybe they huge malls are more common in SE Asia because of the heat and the fact that most people (?) don't have AC in their homes. Huge air-conditioned areas for shopping, entertainment, strolling, and eating just make sense in SE Asia. The fact that it's very rainy for half the year in SE Asia is also a good reason for huge malls.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:33 AM

808 posts, read 1,878,137 times
Real estate prices bro. Building a giant mall in a developed nation is much more cost prohibitive than in the 3rd world.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:13 PM

485 posts, read 2,245,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
Real estate prices bro. Building a giant mall in a developed nation is much more cost prohibitive than in the 3rd world.
Yes, but I don't think that is the only reason why it would be expensive. The prices are also outrageous because places like Japan and South Korea are so small and most of their land is mountainous and rugged, also not good. I think that if Japan and South Korea were larger, like China, India, Brazil, Mexico, Australia, Argentina, Saudi Arabia, or the continental United States. If these countries were anywhere this large Japan and South Korea would probably be something else.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
Yes, but I don't think that is the only reason why it would be expensive. The prices are also outrageous because places like Japan and South Korea are so small and most of their land is mountainous and rugged, also not good. I think that if Japan and South Korea were larger, like China, India, Brazil, Mexico, Australia, Argentina, Saudi Arabia, or the continental United States. If these countries were anywhere this large Japan and South Korea would probably be something else.
Philippines is also crowded, as is Java, and Singapore too.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:15 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
List of largest shopping malls in the world - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Continuing on from my previous thread, a look at the biggest shopping malls in the world reveals most are in Asia, with China and Southeast Asia dominating. None are in Japan or Korea. I'm wondering, are the malls just smaller there, or are there fewer of them, with more of a 'high street' shopping scene like in Europe? Singapore, KL, Manila, Jakarta, Dubai seem more mall-dominated than Seoul and Tokyo, with Taipei and HK. I notice the malls in Taipei seem strangely small and unimpressive, also rather oddly laid out too.

While I'm not a big mall rat, I do appreciate the air-conditioned shopping malls in tropical Singapore or KL. Plus there's everything you need. The UAE is also an up and comer. Of course, Singapore and KL still has decent street-level shopping, but it seems more mall-orientated than North-east Asia. China is probably in between.
Having lived in both Japan and Korea, for about 15 years combined time between the two.

They both love shopping, but everything is so damn convenient street level. Basically their entire countries are nearly an outdoor shopping mall, in many ways. Both are amazing to walk around at street-level, anytime of day or night.

As opposed to somewhere like the Philippines or Indonesia, where walking around in the hot dirty streets with garbage all over the place and bad sidewalks and on and on. WHen I'm in the Philippines, I want to get into the mall, just for air-con relief, and the fact that the streets aren't conducive for much of anything than getting people from A to B.

All that being said, there are some (smaller) malls in Japan and Korea. But, it's not a part of the culture, just way too much interesting stuff and shops and such going on at street-level.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:38 PM

485 posts, read 2,245,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Philippines is also crowded, as is Java, and Singapore too.
Singapore is developed, and as I said before, about 3/4 of Japan is mountainous or uninhabitable. I don't know about Korea though. Does Philippines and Java have a lot of mountains and volcanoes too? Wait, I thought South Korea had a large mall and it is one of the nicest and biggest in Asia...The Coex Mall or something like that.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:48 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Quote:
Singapore is developed, and as I said before, about 3/4 of Japan is mountainous or uninhabitable. I don't know about Korea though. Does Philippines and Java have a lot of mountains and volcanoes too? Wait, I thought South Korea had a large mall and it is one of the nicest and biggest in Asia...The Coex Mall or something like that.
I've been to Coex Mall. It's big, but doesn't have a typical mall feel. It's connected with convention centers and hotels and such, and mall-ish, but not really like the malls in the Philippines though, which just feel larger and more enormous.

But, yeah, Coex Mall is definitely a large one and it's well-known and well-populated in Seoul. It's not the norm there though.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Much of Java and the Phils is mountainous too, but Java is extremely dense. It's smaller than Honshu yet has more people than all of Japan.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:01 PM

1,754 posts, read 8,114,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
maybe they huge malls are more common in SE Asia because of the heat and the fact that most people (?) don't have AC in their homes. Huge air-conditioned areas for shopping, entertainment, strolling, and eating just make sense in SE Asia. The fact that it's very rainy for half the year in SE Asia is also a good reason for huge malls.
and also mall now have almost everything already like bowling, movie theater, ice skating, billiards, concert location, kids theme park, salon, dental, that's why I also stay in the mall most of the time lol not just shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia