Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 05:18 PM

385 posts, read 858,922 times

Advertisements

According to my future father in law who fought along side Chairman Mao in 1939 at the age of 25 ( he's now 97 ) Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Tibet are all part of and belong to China, I tend not to disagree with him to much, he is a fiesty old bird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 05:21 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
You don't need to be in China very long to realize that NO PLACE is like China. China is, above all, a culture, and with the possible exception of Taiwan, it is unique culture with all of its own attributes.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:15 PM

614 posts, read 3,211,010 times
Vietnam.

I usually think of Korea and Japan as similar, China and Vietnam as similar, and the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Cambodia, and Laos as similar.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:43 PM

950 posts, read 1,514,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
Vietnam.

I usually think of Korea and Japan as similar, China and Vietnam as similar, and the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Cambodia, and Laos as similar.
In your opinion, who do you think are the darkest people in East Asia ?

Old 06-01-2011, 08:05 PM

614 posts, read 3,211,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
In your opinion, who do you think are the darkest people in East Asia ?
Indonesians.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:11 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,358,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Cambodians can look dark but their facial features don't seem of the Indian type to me (flat noses, pretty hairless lol). I notice some Burmese, some Thais and even some Malays (the minority though) do look somewhat Indian. India may have had more direct influence in the past, but I think to most people the similarities with China would be more obvious.
The Khmers' Proud and Noble Heritage

The Khmers' Proud and Noble Heritage | travel story by Vagabonding.com

"Khmers are unique and handsome in appearance. Distinct from their Southeast Asian neighbors, Khmers more closely resemble people from the Indian Subcontinent. This makes sense, as Cambodia was historically an important station on the Indian-Chinese trade route."

Old 06-01-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Cambodians can look dark but their facial features don't seem of the Indian type to me (flat noses, pretty hairless lol). I notice some Burmese, some Thais and even some Malays (the minority though) do look somewhat Indian. India may have had more direct influence in the past, but I think to most people the similarities with China would be more obvious.

Skipping the border hoo-ha - Siem Reap, Cambodia Travel Blog

"The Khmer people are quite different looking, almost closer to Indian, with dark skin and larger frames. "

Khmer Khmer Cameleon - Phnom Penh, Cambodia Travel Blog

"It is always interesting seeing the changing faces and landscape of the new country you enter and Cambodia marked a significant change as we crossed the border and moved towards Phnom Penh. Faces became much darker with an almost Indian aspect to the appearance of the people (which is no surprise as the Khmers were heavily influenced culturally by the Indians and the Buddhism they introduced to the region).
"

The Other Side Of The Fence

"Khmer girls are typically darker than Thais, have large, often quite striking round eyes and tend to have softer features. "

Last edited by Lycanmaster; 06-01-2011 at 08:39 PM..

Old 06-01-2011, 08:16 PM

Genetic evidence of gene flow from Indians to Malays

SpringerLink - Journal of Human Genetics, Volume 24, Number 1

Old 06-02-2011, 07:19 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,061,806 times
IMO, Cambodians are the nicest people in SE Asia.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:10 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
There's certainly been a lot of contact between the Indian subcontinent and southeast Asia, but it doesn't seem so accurate to say they were the predominant influence. Meanwhile, India itself is a patchwork of fairly disparate cultures.

I would say outside of the obvious answers of Singapore and Taiwan, perhaps parts of the Malaysian peninsula are pretty similar to parts of China and the same goes for Vietnam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia