Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: On Average Which Southeast Asian Country Do You Think Has The Best Looking Ladies ?
The Philippines 41 27.89%
Malaysia 14 9.52%
Burma 3 2.04%
Vietnam 22 14.97%
Singapore 13 8.84%
Laos 1 0.68%
Indonesia 10 6.80%
Cambodia 2 1.36%
Thailand 41 27.89%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 04:20 AM

51 posts, read 174,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
I dont see the similarity

vietnamese woman

thai
That girl isn't a true Viet. Here are true Vietnamese.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:43 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,999,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Look at this video. The host is from Manila, the contestant is from the Visayas. There's my proof that all Visayans look like her and all Tagalogs look like him...

Willie Of Fortune (05/13/09) 4/4 - YouTube

See how ridiculous that is? Anyone can find a picture or video, but it's not proof. That's what ejay presents as proof.

Another Visayan woman

PILIPINAS GOT TALENT Semi-finalist - JOSEPHINE ATON - YouTube

Looks almost Polynesian. Ejay denies her existence
Cebu is the most malay out of visayas...and being a major city attracts many ethnic groups from mindanao

Old 01-05-2013, 04:58 AM

51 posts, read 174,778 times
This is the true meaning word Vietnamese !

Old 01-05-2013, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
I can speak both Tagalog and Visayan. I've posted here before that one really cannot tell apart Tagalogs or Visayans based on physical appearance, despite what ejay1 will lead you to believe. And there are indeed a lot of people of Visayan descent in Metro Manila as it is not uncommon to meet someone who can speak Visayan there, even though the local language is Tagalog. Tagalog or Visayan distinction is a linguistic classification more than anything. To you, it is like asking if you can tell apart who is Hokkien or Cantonese based on physical appearance.

The rural areas in the Philippines do have more people with darker skin, just because most are farmers or fishermen, and working under the tropical sun will of course make one darker compared to the white collar workers in the urban areas. Also, Spaniards and Chinese tend to settle in urban areas, so there is generally more people with Spanish or Chinese blood in the larger cities.

There are only few Negritos left in the Philippines (similar to the Semang in Malaysia). Most of them are in Luzon now, but actually most live far from Manila and it does not mean that there were no Negritos in the Visayas area. In fact, there's one Visayan island called Negros because the Spaniards encountered some there during the colonial period. However, people who live in Negros island today are not distinctly darker than those of other islands, nor are they of lighter complexion as ejay1 claims.
a visayan from Negros from a farming family

a visayan woman from the rice farming area of antique

a malay looking visayan from western visayas

visayan nurses from western visayas

light skin malay visayans from iloilo

visayans in iloilo

tagalog from manila- urbanite

tagalogs/ people from manila/ southern luzon for the most part are a hybrid race- austronesian and negrito
basically comparable to a mullato

and a visayan would be comparable to an average white american

since a mullato has features from both black and white people...you could probably find some features that would be similar...but for the most part both are very different

Last edited by ejay1; 01-05-2013 at 05:16 AM..

Old 01-05-2013, 05:06 AM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,268,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutapong View Post
Thank you for the informations and praised.

Anyway I think that I am kind opposite LOL. I maybe good at writing, but I think that I am not good at speaking at all lol.

I have a side question. You said that you are Malaysian but you aren't
a Malay right?, What is your ethnic ?
Are you from Bangkok?

Am Malaysian Chinese.

Quote:
I can speak both Tagalog and Visayan. I've posted here before that one really cannot tell apart Tagalogs or Visayans based on physical appearance, despite what ejay1 will lead you to believe. And there are indeed a lot of people of Visayan descent in Metro Manila as it is not uncommon to meet someone who can speak Visayan there, even though the local language is Tagalog. Tagalog or Visayan distinction is a linguistic classification more than anything. To you, it is like asking if you can tell apart who is Hokkien or Cantonese based on physical appearance.

The rural areas in the Philippines do have more people with darker skin, just because most are farmers or fishermen, and working under the tropical sun will of course make one darker compared to the white collar workers in the urban areas. Also, Spaniards and Chinese tend to settle in urban areas, so there is generally more people with Spanish or Chinese blood in the larger cities.

There are only few Negritos left in the Philippines (similar to the Semang in Malaysia). Most of them are in Luzon now, but actually most live far from Manila and it does not mean that there were no Negritos in the Visayas area. In fact, there's one Visayan island called Negros because the Spaniards encountered some there during the colonial period. However, people who live in Negros island today are not distinctly darker than those of other islands, nor are they of lighter complexion as ejay1 claims.
True. Even among my race, those who work in the construction field would be inevitably darker than those working 9-5 in an air-conditioned environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenIIX View Post
That girl isn't a true Viet. Here are true Vietnamese.
Many Vietnamese, esp in the north, resemble Southern Chinese, esp those from Guangdong over the border.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Are you from Bangkok?

Am Malaysian Chinese.

True. Even among my race, those who work in the construction field would be inevitably darker than those working 9-5 in an air-conditioned environment.

Many Vietnamese, esp in the north, resemble Southern Chinese, esp those from Guangdong over the border.
in Philippines its uaually the men who work in the fields...though many farmers send their kids to school and are usually not exposed to as much sunlight as their parents

I have seen some very light skinned women in rural areas...

Old 01-05-2013, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
He seems to be ignoring my question, and completely obsessed with his ethnic arguments.

Your English is very good for a Thai. Outside the major tourist hubs, very very few Thais could speak in English (I've even met one who completely ran away from me as soon as I started asking in English "excuse me", lol). Am sure many Thais in the tourist industry could speak the language but when it comes to writing, it's another different story.

As for Visayans, this is what I found on Wikipedia:

"Throughout centuries, Spaniards, Japanese, Chinese, and other groups have settled in Visayan cities like Bacolod, Cebu, Dumaguete, Tagbilaran, Iloilo, Ormoc and Mindanao cities like Cagayan de Oro and Davao. Many of them have intermarried with Visayans and their descendants have taken on Visayan as their primary language. Many highland Negritos have also been assimilated into mainstream Visayan society.

Visayans have likewise migrated to other parts of the Philippines and abroad. A large part of Mindanao is populated by Visayans. In Metro Manila, many are of Visayan descent."

The first sentence probably explains the "East Asian" looks of the Visayan girls shown in the pictures posted by him.
Kxh Im an ethnic visayan currently living in the USA...if thats what you wanted to know

the ancestors of visayans could have very much intermixed with indo-chinese or chinese on the way to borneo via mainland(some of these mixtures happened a thousand years ago)....its part of being visayan though....I mean japanese are a mix of ancient korean and jomon/ainu...but nobody questions their identity...

Old 01-05-2013, 05:39 AM

Here is a video of typical life in western Visayas....there is no possible way I could cherry pick this because its a video

A DAY IN THE LIFE- DECEMBER 24,2012 - YouTube

eastern visayan woman in korea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZTo8IaIqeE

Old 01-05-2013, 05:44 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,203,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
a visayan from Negros from a farming family

a visayan woman from the rice farming area of antique

a malay looking visayan from western visayas

visayan nurses from western visayas

light skin malay visayans from iloilo

visayans in iloilo

tagalog from manila- urbanite

tagalogs/ people from manila/ southern luzon for the most part are a hybrid race- austronesian and negrito
basically comparable to a mullato

and a visayan would be comparable to an average white american

since a mullato has features from both black and white people...you could probably find some features that would be similar...but for the most part both are very different
You keep on posting the same photos ad nauseum. I don't need these photos because I have seen what Tagalogs and Visayans look like with my own eyes! I have visited all major islands in the Visayas: Panay, Negros, Cebu, Bohol, Leyte, Samar. Even Masbate and Camiguin. Also visited almost all provinces in Northern Mindanao. I have also lived in Manila for a few years and visit often. I have to say that you are really cherry picking your photos here.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:49 AM

Quote:
You keep on posting the same photos ad nauseum. I don't need these photos because I have seen what Tagalogs and Visayans look like with my own eyes! I have visited all major islands in the Visayas: Panay, Negros, Cebu, Bohol, Leyte, Samar. Even Masbate and Camiguin. Also visited almost all provinces in Northern Mindanao. I have also lived in Manila for a few years and visit often. I have to say that you are really cherry picking your photos here.
its a simple yes or no question.....do you think those 2 sets of pictures are similar to each other

well the only cherry picking that went on was I had to use pictures of visayans to rep visayans and tagalog to rep tagalogs

this is just in response to Smtchl who thinks visayans should look australian aboriginal or papuan because they are from rural areas south of his place of origin....Smtchl is just another southern luzonian with a superiority complex
the biggest remontado community in the Philippines is Metro Manila...yet they think they are above everyone else

Quote:
he Remontado are of mixed blood, hence, they have a combination of Negrito and lowland Filipino features. Although the Remontado are semi-nomadic, there is no reported case of heavy out-migration. They roam in a specific geographic range they consider home base. They live mainly on the eastern part of Rizal Province, specifically Sta. Ines of Antipolo Municipality (now part of Tanay); Tinukan, Mamuyao, San Andres, Cuyambay, Layban, Daraitan, and Sampaloc of Tanay; and Macabod, Anginan, Cabooan, Mabolo, Malasia and Puray of Montalban. The areas of Infanta-Real-General Nakar of Quezon Province are also their dwelling places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia