Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which are Filipinos?
Asian 91 69.47%
Hispanic/Latino 12 9.16%
Pacific Islanders/Polynesian 28 21.37%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 12:50 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
Filipinos are Filipinos.

Racially, they are primarily of Malaysian stock similar to Malaysia and Indonesia, but with some Chinese and Spanish blood mixed in. However, the primary stock is Malaysian.

Culturally, they have been heavily influenced by the Spanish, although they have retained their native language which has also borrowed heavily from Spanish and English vocabulary.

Pacific Islander? I suppose they can be somewhat related, but I primarily consider them Asian. Just uniquely Filipino and not really of the same racial or cultural background as East Asians (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) that most Americans associate with Asia. Asia is a big place, there are many different groups in Asia, deal with it.
The Pacific Islander comes in because a lot of Filipinos consider them themselves to be a part of that group. Just about every Filipino I have ever met would get very upset at being considered Asian. Now, some of the people I work with say the Filipinos they know have no problem with being considered Asian. Those are the types I have not come across, though.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:59 AM

492 posts, read 1,149,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Being Catholic doesn't make you Hispanic any more than being Lutheran makes you Minnesotan. Filipinos are not Hispanic -- they aren't from Latin America and they don't speak any Spanish. Filipinos speak an Austronesian language, which is related to Polynesian, so I can see how you could call them Pacific Islanders. I've always thought of them as Asian -- the Philippines is in Asia (just off the coast, like Japan) and the people look Asian. The culture is heavily influenced by China and Malaysia, as well.
Philipinos have more in common with the Hispanic culture than let's say the Japanese and the Chinese cultures. Philipinos are Catholic and Catholicism is not just a religion is a way of life that also entails lots of traditions. Up until the early 1900's the better off Philipinos spoke Spanish and the government carried most of its formal affairs in Spanish. When the US tried to make the Philippines into a US colony, it dismantled the Spanish language and reinforced the use of Tagalog. (Reason unknown)

Old 07-15-2011, 11:07 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,858,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
The Pacific Islander comes in because a lot of Filipinos consider them themselves to be a part of that group. Just about every Filipino I have ever met would get very upset at being considered Asian. Now, some of the people I work with say the Filipinos they know have no problem with being considered Asian. Those are the types I have not come across, though.
Nearly all Filipinos consider themselves Asian. I don't know what your experience has been, but some Filipino Americans may be confused about their identity. But ask any Filipino from the Philippines what they are, they will say they are Filipino first, Asian second.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:01 PM

42 posts, read 105,346 times
Filipinos calling themselves Pacific Islanders is an American phenomenon. Nobody does that in the Philippines.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:18 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
Nearly all Filipinos consider themselves Asian. I don't know what your experience has been, but some Filipino Americans may be confused about their identity. But ask any Filipino from the Philippines what they are, they will say they are Filipino first, Asian second.
Nope. I know plenty of Filipinos from the Philippines. They consider themselves Filipino and Pacific Islander. I did ask my husband (who grew up in the Philippines), and he says that in his experience it has a lot to with what part of the Philippines a person is from.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:05 PM

1 posts, read 4,688 times
for me.. im a filipino.. we just consider ourselves as Filipinos.. we dont really think that we are asians, pacific islanders, latinos or anything.. we just know that we have some similarities with the hispanic world.. hispanic filipinos is a thing of the past.. i have some spanish blood with my mother side but that does not matter.. i think im just a Filipino no other thing.. you could not usually hear im aisan, pacific islanders or latinos on the philippines streets or schools at all.. so it doesn't really matter if we are part of those categories because we are Filipinos..

Old 07-15-2011, 08:23 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
From living in Hawaii and hanging with a lot of Filipinos, I would say all 3.

When I worked on the Census, many Filipinos identified themselves as Asian racially AND of Hispanic/Latino ethnicity.

I also know some Filipinos who have a very Micronesian/Melanesian look, with very dark skin and nappy hair.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:22 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,108,829 times
In Spain, Filipinos are considered Hispanic. As Hispanic as Latin Americans and Sephardic Jews.
They qualify for Spanish citizensip after living two years legally in Spain, 10 years for non-Hispanics.
Some Filipinos here are either from Spanish stock or mixed.
There was a large Spanish population in the Phillipines, but Japanese exterminated them.
Many high class Filipinos speak Spanish.
Tagalog has many Spanish word and many Filipinos speak Chabacano, some sort of Spanish pidgin.
Their food and culture is influenced by Spanish culture.
The US tried to remove all Spanish influence after they took the Phyllipines from Spain in 1898.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:25 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Fillipino is not a race, it is a nationality. There are so many mixes in that country, just like the USA or Mexico.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:36 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
Originally, Filipinos were more related to Pacific Islanders. They're Austronesians, just like all Pacific Islanders, and speak Austronesian languages. Pacific Islanders have roots in the Philippines, at least partially. You wanna see cultures that are similar to indigenous Filipino culture? Look at Micronesians... The Philippines basically became an Asian country because of heavy influence from Mainland Asian, especially Chinese (direct) & Indian influence (via Malaysia/Indonesia) Then the Spanish influence came after that, followed by the American influence, which is really strong today. The Asian influence has become strong again through pop culture. Korean stuff is big there. A decade or so ago, Latin American pop culture was big in the Philippines, but that has faded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia