Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which are Filipinos?
Asian 91 69.47%
Hispanic/Latino 12 9.16%
Pacific Islanders/Polynesian 28 21.37%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 02:19 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,111,534 times

Advertisements

Original version of Philippine National Anthem

Last edited by pinai; 01-01-2012 at 02:29 AM..

Old 01-01-2012, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think Philippines has a lot of Spanish influence of course, but I wouldn't call it a true Hispanic country since there isn't a lot of Spanish ancestry and most people do not, of course, speak Espanol. Language to me is THE determining factor of Hispanic identity. One reason why I wouldn't even call Brazil Hispanic.
Brazil is not Hispanic. They are Portuguese colony not from Spain. But they are considered Latino because they speak Latin Language.

Philippines culture is partly Hispanic that's why I said not generalized Hispanic (Culture), Because we acknowledge our Indigenous background.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:48 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
So France us a Latino country to? I don't think so.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
So France us a Latino country to? I don't think so.
Isn't French language a branch of a Roman Languages which is "Latin"? like Italian?

Latin

Latin was the language of the Roman Empire. Originally spoken only in and near the city of Rome, Latin became the official language of business and government as the Roman Empire spread to most of Western Europe. Classical Latin was the language of literature and the language spoken in the Senate, while the common people and Roman soldiers spoke a variant the language known as Vulgar Latin. Many people living in Roman provinces spoke local languages. These local languages blended with Vulgar Latin—the language of the Roman soldiers--to form what we now call Romance languages. Romance refers to the fact that the languages originated in Rome. Today there are approximately twenty-five commonly spoken Romance languages. They include Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, French, and Romanian.

Latin is the language of the Roman Catholic Church and the official language of the Vatican city-state. Many students throughout the world continue to study Latin, as Latin vocabulary is still widely used in law, medicine and philosophy. E pluribus unum ("out of many, one") is a Latin phrase found on most American currency.

Most Europeans speak Romance, Germanic or Slavic languages. Germanic languages are spoken primarily in northern Europe, including the Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark, Germany and the United Kingdom. English is classified as a Germanic language. Slavic languages are spoken primarily in Eastern Europe, particularly in Poland, Russia, Croatia, Slovenia, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Bosnia and Serbia.

Many people in Western Europe once spoke Celtic languages before the expansion of the Roman Empire. Few people speak Celtic languages today, though the influence of the Celtic people lives on in stories and myths. Leprechauns, Halloween and the Blarney Stone are remnants of Celtic culture. In Ireland and Wales, students are often encouraged to study traditional Celtic languages, but most Irish and Welch people speak English in everyday conversation.

http://www.mrdowling.com/702-latin.html

Old 01-01-2012, 07:31 AM

191 posts, read 788,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It would have been interesting if the Philippines became the only place in East/Southeast Asia with a truly mixed ancestry population of people from all over the world. I'm guessing World War II and its aftermath as it drove out a lot of the Spanish/mestizo and Japanese immigrants.
To me the P.I. (Philippine Islands) is as mixed as you can get racially, culturally and linguistically in Asia. I see the P.I. as the biggest 'sponge' in Asia. Whatever passes in the P.I. gets blended in the culture, race and language.

The part about Spanish/mestizo, Japaneses ancestry leaving the P.I. I don't know about. I live in the U.S. and I don't consider the Filipinos hispanics. Some number of postings back, it said the Spaniards consider the Filipinos hispanics.

Stanford genetic study that at least 3.6 percent of Filipinos have European lineage ( Multiracial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) . The genetic lineage with the Chinese is about 2 percent ( Hispanic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

Malay or Austronesian race ( Malay race - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) is the basic and majority race in the P.I.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think Philippines has a lot of Spanish influence of course, but I wouldn't call it a true Hispanic country since there isn't a lot of Spanish ancestry and most people do not, of course, speak Espanol. Language to me is THE determining factor of Hispanic identity. One reason why I wouldn't even call Brazil Hispanic.
Got that right. The P.I. isn't a true Hispanic country. The P.I. has a lot of dialects. Each province in the P.I. have their own dialect. I believe Spanish is still spoken in some areas like the island of Cebu and there's also a modified Spanish version called Chavacano ( Chavacano language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). The official language of the P.I. is Tagalog (one of the dialects spoken around Manila) and English. Some Spanish and English words got blended in Tagalog.

Yes, you are correct, Brazil isn't Hispanic.

... let me add, all dialects in the P.I. have converted to Latin Alphabet. Before, I believe, the native dialects in the P.I. are written in characters that resemble a cross between chinese and arabic characters ...kinda like the Thai alphabet. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languag...he_Philippines )

Last edited by acatalanb; 01-01-2012 at 08:13 AM..

Old 01-01-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acatalanb View Post
Got that right. The P.I. isn't a true Hispanic country. The P.I. has a lot of dialects. Each province in the P.I. have their own dialect. I believe Spanish is still spoken in some areas like the island of Cebu and there's also a modified Spanish version called Chavacano ( Chavacano language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). The official language of the P.I. is Tagalog (one of the dialects spoken around Manila) and English. Some Spanish and English words got blended in Tagalog.

Yes, you are correct, Brazil isn't Hispanic.

... let me add, all dialects in the P.I. have converted to Latin Alphabet. Before, I believe, the native dialects in the P.I. are written in characters that resemble a cross between chinese and arabic characters ...kinda like the Thai alphabet. ( Languages of the Philippines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )
you can find some Philippine dialects that has spanish loanwords and also some false friends like same word with different meaning in Spanish
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish...he_Philippines

They also considered Philippines as part of the Latin Union http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_Union

According to the Latin Union's website, membership is open to any nation that meets the following criteria: Union Latine

The Latin Union is an international organization of nations that use Romance languages, with the aim of protecting, projecting, and promoting the common cultural heritage and unifying identities of the Latin, and Latin-influenced, world. It was created in 1954 in Madrid, Spain, and has existed as a functional institution since 1983. Its membership has risen from 12 to 36 states, including countries in the Americas, Europe, Africa, and the Asia-Pacific region.[1]

The official names of the Latin Union are: Unione Latina in Italian, Unión Latina in Spanish, União Latina in Portuguese, Union latine in French, Uniunea Latină in Romanian, and Unió Llatina in Catalan.[2]

Linguistic criteria :
- Official language derived from Latin
- Latin-derived language used in education
- Latin-derived language commonly used in the mass media or in daily life

Linguistic/cultural criteria :
- Existence of significant literature in a Latin-derived language
- Press and publication in Latin-derived language
- Television with a strong proportion of the programming in a Latin-derived language
- Radio widely broadcast in a Latin-derived language

Cultural criteria :
- Direct or indirect inheritance of the legacy of Ancient Rome, to which the state remains faithful and which it perpetuates mainly through the education of Latin
- Cultural education of Latin-derived foreign languages
- Exchange programmes with other Latin countries
- Societal organization, particularly in the legal plane, based on respect for fundamental liberties, the general principles of human rights and democracy, tolerance and freedom of religion

Last edited by pinai; 01-01-2012 at 09:53 AM..

Old 01-01-2012, 10:02 AM

Thanks pinai. Here's more information about the Filipino people, Filipino people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . That's right, it's another wikipedia link

It says "...An additional 60% is said to have spoken Spanish as a second language until World War II" . Now, it's numbers have dwindled significantly with English replacing Spanish as the official language .

Everyone in the world can traced their roots from Africa but " Filipinos are an Austronesian people, a linguistic and genetic group that includes other ethnicities from ...." Austronesian culture,language, race have been erased from basic school books by the Western colonizers. There's been scientific genetic DNA test that Filipinos have the same basic DNA racial strands as Polynesians (including Hawaiians, Maori, Samoan etc...).

The Philippine Islands is simply one of the largest "SPONGED" in the world. It's probably one of the most open minded and welcoming countries in the world. Arguably, it's also one of the most dynamic in the world since it changes it's culture etc... all the time - main reason why it's extremely difficult to lump the Philippines in any category.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Thanks pinai. Here's more information about the Filipino people, Filipino people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . That's right, it's another wikipedia link

It says "...An additional 60% is said to have spoken Spanish as a second language until World War II" . Now, it's numbers have dwindled significantly with English replacing Spanish as the official language .

Everyone in the world can traced their roots from Africa but " Filipinos are an Austronesian people, a linguistic and genetic group that includes other ethnicities from ...." Austronesian culture,language, race have been erased from basic school books by the Western colonizers. There's been scientific genetic DNA test that Filipinos have the same basic DNA racial strands as Polynesians (including Hawaiians, Maori, Samoan etc...).

The Philippine Islands is simply one of the largest "SPONGED" in the world. It's probably one of the most open minded and welcoming countries in the world. Arguably, it's also one of the most dynamic in the world since it changes it's culture etc... all the time - main reason why it's extremely difficult to lump the Philippines in any category.
You have to link and connect all the dots of Austronesian people lol to understand where it came from and the migration. Majority of the Austronesians are in Taiwan, South East Asia, Madagascar and Pacific (Melanesia, Micronesia and Polynesia),

But there is also Austronesians in Southern China and North India particularly in "Naga Tribe" where there is a mixed tribes from Austro-Asiatic and Austronesian. Some says the Austronesian from Naga Tribe came from South East Asia and they used the "Sanskrit", Bamboo dancing originated in India (North India) hmmm most of the Austronesian and Austro-Asiatic used this Bamboo Dancing stick?

One of the ethnic tribe of North India (Nagaland)

Some Filipinos would like to save the dying tradition of our fellow Kalinga

Last edited by pinai; 01-01-2012 at 11:42 AM..

Old 01-01-2012, 12:19 PM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
To me the P.I. (Philippine Islands) is as mixed as you can get racially, culturally and linguistically in Asia. I see the P.I. as the biggest 'sponge' in Asia. Whatever passes in the P.I. gets blended in the culture, race and language.

The part about Spanish/mestizo, Japaneses ancestry leaving the P.I. I don't know about. I live in the U.S. and I don't consider the Filipinos hispanics. Some number of postings back, it said the Spaniards consider the Filipinos hispanics.

Stanford genetic study that at least 3.6 percent of Filipinos have European lineage ( Multiracial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) . The genetic lineage with the Chinese is about 2 percent ( Hispanic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

Malay or Austronesian race ( Malay race - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) is the basic and majority race in the P.I.
I agree that it's one of the most mixed of the East and Southeast Asian countries--I'd only add that those countries in general aren't that mixed so being the most mixed among them doesn't give you a very mixed country (barring Malaysia and Singapore).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.