Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which are Filipinos?
Asian 91 69.47%
Hispanic/Latino 12 9.16%
Pacific Islanders/Polynesian 28 21.37%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 02:30 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
This is very wrong.
Has anyone researched who these "Taiwanese Aborigines", indigenous Indonesians, Malays, and Pacific Islanders were??

In today's terms, those people are called, "Negritos" (Negroes). They are pictured as "small black people who Spanish and European sailors labeled as "pygmy-like". Descendents of these people also settled Fiji, Papua New Guinea, and countries starting from Madagascar up to the Hawaiian Islands. (Negrito - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

In terms of language and personality, Filipinos are most closest to Indonesians and Polynesians. They are in fact, Pacific Islanders.

Geographically, the Philippines may be located in the area we call Asia, but there is very little that can be associated with the culture being "Asian." Cultural anthropologist take in everything when classifying a who and what a people are. Religion, food, language, and ethnic background top the list.

1.) Filipinos are largely Catholic... not Buddhist or Taoist, or Hindus or Sikhs.
2.) Filipinos commonly have Spanish and Mexican last names.
3.) Their diets combine all the influences of their past like the Mexican diet
4.) Cultural mannerisms and aggressiveness speak more to Pacific Island traits rather than "Asian" personalities.

If you went to Africa today and saw three older black men sitting and talking, all with the same skin tone and similar features, you'd most likely say, "all three of these men are 'African.'" But that is not how THEY see it… and the way they see culture is far older. One will tell you that he is a Muslim. (And his cultural morays, language, religion, history, dress, and diet reflect that.) The other will tell you he is a Moor (and his background reflects that.) The next will tell you he is a Jew, and his name, history, religion, cultural beliefs, and family history reflect that too. A fourth man may later join him and he will tell you, “I am African” because his tribal history, diet, language, religion and traditions make it so.

That is why Filipinos are not, "Asian" even though most LOOK like it to the Westernized eye.

In the final analysis, Filipinos are human beings.
There is only one "race" of humans... otherwise we couldn't procreate with each other. (Elephants and tigers do not have babies together.)

In order to set this silly issue to rest, visit: "The Journey of Man" (both a documentary film and a book) created by esteemed geneticist, Dr. Spensor Wells. Dr. Wells took DNA samples of people from all over the planet and traced genetic markers backwards to discover where man started from and the routes "man" took to people the world. (Ironically, it wasn't even a "man" who is the oldest human being found. It was a woman... which answers the question, "which came first... the chicken or the egg?"

(The egg had to be parented ... so... everyone has to say, "hi" tomorrow to all of our one, African mother.)

In that study, he answers how people who are in the Phillipines, got there.

Oh ... and guess what?
Many educated Japanese even consider themselves to be Pacific Islanders. "We're a mixture" many Japanese have told me. So relax and be happy and proud of being who you are.
This is mostly right, except Taiwanese Aborigines aren't the same as Negritos. This is a Taiwanese Aborigine...

ImageTribesFaces 04 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bull6162/2788442639/in/photostream - broken link)

and this is a Negrito...

Asia - Philippines / Luzzon - preteen in Pampanga | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rudiroels/5502841988/ - broken link)

The Negritos were in the Philippines long before the Taiwanese Aborgines. Some still live in the Philippines today, but most were absorbed into the invading Taiwanese Aborigine population that eventually became what we now know as Filipinos. Most Filipinos look more like Taiwanese Aborigines, but it's not uncommon to see Filipinos with Negrito features.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:47 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,107,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
They may be Hispanic in Spain but not in the Philippines. Estamos asianos. The food was influenced by Chinese, Malay, Mexican, Spanish and American cultures.
one could argue they have closer ties to Mexico than Spain since they were ruled via Mexico. Actually according to Wiki there are 200,000 Mexicans with filioino heritage and that Mexican immigration law grants special status to filipinos. Betwen 1970-2005, 100,000 filipinos moved to mexico. (IF you can trust wiki)

---

No, the country was not ruled through Mexico, but there was an annual galleon saling from Manila to Acapulco during several centuries. Chinese merchants used the galleon to export their wares to Spanish America.

Of course, not closer ties with Mexico since Spain was there until 1898. In fact, the Spanish presence was important until 1943 or so.

I guess that some Flipinos are Hispanic, others are Chinese, etc.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
---

No, the country was not ruled through Mexico, but there was an annual galleon saling from Manila to Acapulco during several centuries. Chinese merchants used the galleon to export their wares to Spanish America.

Of course, not closer ties with Mexico since Spain was there until 1898. In fact, the Spanish presence was important until 1943 or so.

I guess that some Flipinos are Hispanic, others are Chinese, etc.
Yeah, I think more Spaniards came to the Philippines than Mexicans, or maybe the Mexicans just blended in with the general population. The Philippine media used to be dominated by very Spanish-looking Filipinos...

‪Stars from the Golden Age of Philippine Cinema‬‏ - YouTube

It's still somewhat like that today, but there's also a lot of Chinese-looking and more native-looking Filipinos in the media.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:35 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,107,982 times
If any person born in Mexico visited the Phyllipines in the past, he certainly came in the Manila-Acapulco Galleon from 1565 to 1821 so he was a Spanish subject.

The last galleon was confiscated by Emperor Iturbide.

El Galeón de Manila fue en realidad esto, un galeón de unas 500 a 1.500 toneladas (alguna vez fueron dos galeones), que hacía la ruta Manila-Acapulco transportando una mercancía muy costosa, valorada entre 300.000 y 2.500.000 pesos. Su primer viaje se realizó el año 1565 y el último en 1821 (este galeón fue incautado por Iturbide). La embarcación se construía usualmente en Filipinas (Bagatao) o en México (Autlán, Jalisco). Iba mandada por el comandante o general y llevaba una dotación de soldados. Solían viajar también numerosos pasajeros, que podían ayudar en la defensa. En total iban unas 250 personas a bordo.
La ruta era larga y compleja. Desde Acapulco ponía rumbo al sur y navegaba entre los paralelos 10 y 11, subía luego hacia el oeste y seguía entre los 13 y 14 hasta las Marianas, de aquí a Cavite, en Filipinas. En total cubría 2.200 leguas a lo largo de 50 a 60 días. El tornaviaje se hacía rumbo al Japón, para coger la corriente del Kuro Shivo, pero en el año 1596 los japoneses capturaron dicho galeón y se aconsejó un cambio de itinerario. Partía entonces al sureste hasta los 11 grados, subiendo luego a los 22 y de allí a los 17. Arribaba a América a la altura del cabo Mendocino, desde donde bajaba costeando hasta Acapulco. Lo peligroso de la ruta aconsejaba salir de Manila en julio, si bien podía demorarse hasta agosto. Después de este mes era imposible realizar la travesía, que había que postergar durante un año. El tornaviaje demoraba cinco o seis meses y por ello el arribo a Acapulco se efectuaba en diciembre o enero. Aunque se intentó sostener una periodicidad anual, fue imposible de lograr.
El éxito del Galeón de Manila era la plata mexicana, que tenía un precio muy alto en Asia, ya que el coeficiente bimetálico existente la favorecía en relación al oro. Digamos que en Asia la plata era más escasa que en Europa. Esto permitía comprar con ella casi todos los artículos suntuosos fabricados en Asia, a un precio muy barato y venderlos luego en América y en Europa con un inmenso margen de ganancia (fácilmente superior al 300 por 100).
Los terminales de Manila y Acapulco constituyeron en su tiempo los emporios comerciales de los artículos exóticos y sus ferias fueron más pintorescas que ninguna. En Manila se cargaban bellísimos marfiles y piedras preciosas hindúes, sedas y porcelanas chinas, sándalo de Timor, clavo de las Molucas, canela de Ceilán, alcanfor de Borneo, jengibre de Malabar, damascos, lacas, tibores, tapices, perfumes, etcétera. La feria de Acapulco se reglamentó en 1579 y duraba un mes por lo regular. En ella se vendían los géneros orientales y se cargaba cacao, vainilla, tintes, zarzaparrilla, cueros y, sobre todo, la plata mexicana contante y sonante que hacía posible todo aquel milagro comercial.
La mercancía introducida en América por el Galeón de Manila terminó con la producción mexicana de seda y estuvo a punto de dislocar el circuito comercial del Pacífico. La refinadísima sociedad peruana demandó pronto las sedas, perfumes y porcelanas chinas, ofreciendo comprarlas con plata potosina y los comerciantes limeños decidieron librar una batalla para hacerse con el negocio. A partir de 1581 enviaron directamente buques hacia Filipinas. Se alarmaron entonces los comerciantes sevillanos, que temieron una fuga de plata peruana al Oriente y en 1587 la Corona prohibió esta relación comercial directa con Asia. Quedó entonces el recurso de hacerla a través de Acapulco, pero también esto se frustró, pues los negociantes sevillanos lograron en 1591 que la Corona prohibiera el comercio entre ambos virreinatos.
Naturalmente los circuitos comerciales no se destruyen a base de prohibiciones y el negocio siguió, pero por vía ilícita. A fines del siglo XVI México y Perú intercambiaban casi tres millones de pesos anuales y a principios de la centuria siguiente el Cabildo de la capital mexicana calculaba que salían de Acapulco para Filipinas casi cinco millones de pesos, parte de los cuales venía del Perú. Esto volvió a poner en guardia a los defensores del monopolio sevillano, que lograron imponer restricciones al comercio con Filipinas. A partir de entonces se estipuló que las importaciones chinas no excediesen los 250.000 pesos anuales y los pagos en plata efectuados en Manila fuesen inferiores a medio millón de pesos por año. Todo esto fueron incentivos para el contrabando, que siguió aumentando. En 1631 y 1634 la monarquía reiteró la prohibición de 1591 de traficar entre México y Perú, cosa que por lo visto habían olvidado todos. Hubo entonces que recurrir a utilizar los puertos intermedios del litoral pacífico, como los centroamericanos de Acajutia y Realejo, desde donde se surtía cacao de Soconusco a Acapulco, de brea al Perú y de mulas (de la Cholulteca hondureña), zarzaparrilla, añil, vainilla y tintes a Panamá, lo que encubría en realidad el tráfico ilegal entre los dos virreinatos.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:37 AM

147 posts, read 213,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
And I find it amusing when putis try to tell me what I am supposed to be.
I know! I talked to a guy once and he asked, "Are you Hispanic?"
Me - "Nope. I am Filipino."
Guy - "Isn't that Hispanic, too. Spain was in the Philippines for a long time."
Me - "Yes, that's true. But I am Filipino, I don't even speak Spanish."
Guy - "hmmm..."

Lol he wasn't convinced.

Anyway, like most Filipinos I know would say, I am Filipino first before I am Asian...or Pacific Islander. It's just location to me, like a Canadian may say he's North American, or a Brazilian may say he's South American.

Furthermore, I would say I am Lorie first before I am Filipino. My mom would say, "You are still Filipino." My answer would be, "What does that have to do with anything?"

Old 07-21-2011, 11:42 AM

491 posts, read 1,651,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Being Catholic doesn't make you Hispanic any more than being Lutheran makes you Minnesotan. Filipinos are not Hispanic -- they aren't from Latin America and they don't speak any Spanish. Filipinos speak an Austronesian language, which is related to Polynesian, so I can see how you could call them Pacific Islanders. I've always thought of them as Asian -- the Philippines is in Asia (just off the coast, like Japan) and the people look Asian. The culture is heavily influenced by China and Malaysia, as well.
It depends what region from the Philippines you are talking about.There's still a small population that speak Spanish but it is dwindling in every generation. But there is also a big population,roughly 2 million or so people that speak a form of Spanish called chavacano. Chavacano is mostly spoken in Zamboanga and Cavite(less and less in Cavite) region. Although Spain reign in the Philippines for almost 400 yrs, Spanish didn't become as widely spread as in Central and South America because the Spanish Friars didn't want them learn how to speak, read and write. It was advantageous for the Spaniards to keep things in secrecy.

On my last business travel there, I've met people that are 100% Spanish by blood, as European looking as anyone from Europe with the white skin blue eyes and brown hair. They are a mix of different looks. Some look east asian (chinese), depending on the region some look Malay, Samoan, Mexican and there are others (specially some women) that can pass for a biracial African American.

I've posted this before in another thread:
English: What the eyes do not see, the heart does not feel
Spanish: Ojos que no ven, corazón que no siente.
Chabacano Caviteños: Ojos qui no ta mirá, corazón no ta padicí
Chavacano Zamboangueños : Ojos que no ta mira, corazon no ta senti

Here is a Chavacano song.

‪Porque-Maldita Full Chavacano Version with Lyrics‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-22-2011, 09:54 PM

38,880 posts, read 22,864,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
^ Actually, Filipinos are descended from Taiwanese Aborigines. They traveled through the Philippines then into Indonesia & Malaysia. So it's wrong to say that Filipinos came from Indos/Malays when it's the other way around. From Indonesia & Malaysia, they traveled further out to Micronesia & Polynesia.
This is news to me! I always thought that Filipinos are descended from Indonesians and Malaysians who migrated to the present-day Philippines in ancient times.

Then I find this article in WikiPilipinas

Last edited by Dennis P; 07-22-2011 at 10:10 PM..

Old 07-22-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
This is news to me! I always thought that Filipinos are descended from Indonesians and Malaysians who migrated to the present-day Philippines in ancient times.

Then I find this article in WikiPilipinas
yep, but it's really not that big of a difference. Indonesian & Malaysians are also descended from Taiwanese Aborigines. They passed through the Philippines first, then into Indonesia/Malaysia (then eventually on to the Pacific Islands) Periodically, Indonesians & Malaysians also migrated back into the Philippines and brought their Indian & Muslim-influenced culture with them

Old 07-22-2011, 11:25 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
Chavacano is not a form of Spanish. It's a creole language -- a combination of Spanish and various Austronesian languages. It's similar to Haitian Creole, which is a mixture of French and African languages. The languages are not mutually intelligible -- Spanish speakers can't understand Chavacano, and vice versa.

Chavacano language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-22-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Chavacano is not a form of Spanish. It's a creole language -- a combination of Spanish and various Austronesian languages. It's similar to Haitian Creole, which is a mixture of French and African languages. The languages are not mutually intelligible -- Spanish speakers can't understand Chavacano, and vice versa.

Chavacano language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
really? I showed this video to my Spanish class and the native speakers said they could understand

‪Chavacano de Zamboanga‬‏ - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia