Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which are Filipinos?
Asian 91 69.47%
Hispanic/Latino 12 9.16%
Pacific Islanders/Polynesian 28 21.37%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 01:01 PM

114 posts, read 624,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
I can "look" European, but if my culture is Spanish, and my diet is Spanish, and my spirituality is Spanish based ... then guess what? I'M SPANISH!

If you're not European, you're not Spanish, since Spain is in Europe and Spanish culture is European.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:03 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,607,320 times
as a mexican who just spent one month in the PI(because i like asian women not hispanic), im really rolling my eyes at any of you who are calling filipinos hispanic/latino. they dont speak spanish. sure they know a few words, but so what so everyone does.

tehy are asian

Old 07-31-2011, 11:53 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,163 times
As a Filipino, I'd say Asian first and foremost! Then with Hispanic/Western and Pacific influences sprinkled on top of it!

Old 08-01-2011, 12:05 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
As a Filipino, I'd say Asian first and foremost! Then with Hispanic/Western and Pacific influences sprinkled on top of it!
theres no Pacific influence, it's the other way around. Polynesians & Micronesians came from the Philippines. 50% of their language, culture, and bloodline is from the Philippines, the other half is from Papua/Melanesia.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:57 PM

2 posts, read 9,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Not in the Manila I grew up in. In what instances did u hear spanish numbers?
I was born in the Philippines (Metro Manila specifically) and people tell the time and count currency using the Spanish words ALL THE TIME.

Most of the time you'll hear someone say isang daang piso (100 Pesos), but for smaller amounts you almost always hear treinta pesos (30 pesos) cincuenta pesos (50 pesos) etc.

You'll hear them say "decada setenta/ochenta" when referring to the 70s or 80s. And in telling time, it's rare to hear someone use the full tagalog equivalent. You will almost always hear "a las ocho y media", "a las doce" etc.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:49 PM

2 posts, read 9,822 times
If you want to talk RACE or ETHNICITY, then those individuals in the United States who identify themselves as Pacific Islanders are correct. The average Filipino IS Austronesian, which is exactly what Pacific Islanders (Melanesians, Micronesians, Polynesians) ARE. Yes, the SAME as your stock Hawaiian person. The reason this doesn't come into play with census data is because of classification purposes. "Asian" is a geographic term. The Philippines is "Asian" because it falls under the geographic boundaries of "Asia" on a map.

As far as culture is concerned, the Philippines has indeed adopted influences from numerous sources. But the dominant influences have come from Spanish tradition. The name of their country, their early architecture, the Spanish language (historical documents, land titles, our greatest literary pieces, the language of our national heroes, the original language of our Philippine anthem), thousands of Spanish loanwords in the different Filipino languages, our surnames, religion, religious values, and yes, food, A LOT of it. It's funny how some foreigners with an outsider's perspective will lecture you about how Adobo is the only Spanish-influenced dish while Pancit and "Lumpia" are Chinese-influenced and that supposedly makes us definitively 'Asian'. LOL. Ever heard of Caldereta, Longanisa, Menudo, Afritada, Asado, Arroz Caldo, Albondigas, Chorizo, Tocino, Relleno, Leche Flan, Maja Blanca, Ensemada, Empanada, Canonigo, Dulce de Leche, Pastillas, Pan de Sal, Escabeche? And the list goes on and on.

I personally don't consider Filipinos "Hispanic" because they no longer speak Spanish and I consider that the biggest criteria. I just find it hard to group them along with the 21 countries in the world that do. But by definition, "Hispanic" is a CULTURAL not a RACIAL term, so it's a close call IMO. The influences from Spain or Mexico (when it was called the Vice Royalty of New Spain) are IMMENSE. More so than any other country whether the US or anywhere else in Asia. Historically and culturally, Filipinos share more with Latinos than ANY other group in the world. The language barrier is what creates the gap. Without this gap, the Philippines today might be identical to any Latino nation (minus their racial background).

Last edited by jbermud2; 08-23-2011 at 07:17 PM..

Old 08-24-2011, 02:55 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,107,982 times
Jber

You're right, "Hispanic" is not a race but a culture.
When the American invaded the Phyllipines they did their best to erradicate Spanish, but there are many families that are Filipinos and Spanish.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:38 PM

774 posts, read 1,857,132 times
Default Very good jbermud2

I can see where the confusion comes in, but I really liked reading your informed reply.

Quote:
"More so than any other country whether the US or anywhere else in Asia. Historically and culturally, Filipinos share more with Latinos than ANY other group in the world."
What makes a people is culture.
"Asian" is Buddhist, Taoist, Hindu, Zen, and Confusion... NOT Catholic.

East and West are VERY different cultures.
Again, a Black Moor is considered a very, very different ethnicity than a sub-Sharan African ... or a Muslim.
It's all about the values derived from religion, diet, and the ethno origins a population derived from.

Why is it problematic that the beautiful people of the Philippines are Pacific Islanders?

MORE ... there is a huge African (as in Fiji, New Guinea, Tonga... et al) ancestry. That tribe of Malaysians and the Aboriginal Tawanese that were early settlers of the Philippines were "Negroid" ... as in African. (Just like the Melanesians, Micronesians, Polynesians.)

So, I guess it's a matter of self-esteem that makes some people want to consider themselves "Chinese" rather than love who they are.

Here... here is a link that should set it all to rest.
Quote:
"The Negrito are a class of several ethnic groups that inhabit isolated parts of Southeast Asia. Their current populations include 12 Andamanese peoples of the Andaman Islands, six Semang peoples of Malaysia, the Mani of Thailand, and the Aeta, Agta, Ati, and 30 other peoples of the Philippines."
Click here for more: Negrito - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-09-2011, 09:51 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,673 times
The Philippines is in Asia. Therefore Filipinos are Asian.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:25 PM

2,226 posts, read 5,107,982 times
MORE ... there is a huge African (as in Fiji, New Guinea, Tonga... et al) ancestry. That tribe of Malaysians and the Aboriginal Tawanese that were early settlers of the Philippines were "Negroid" ... as in African. (Just like the Melanesians, Micronesians, Polynesians.)

-----

Negritos are not Africans, they are Melanesians.
Cleopatra was not African either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia