Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 08:56 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,784,077 times

Advertisements

This happened in India, in a very crowded area...people stood a watched while 2 people were mercilessly stabbed when they tried to defend some girls who were being sexually harassed by a gang.

Mumbai's Bravehearts Lose Lives Fighting Eve Teasers, as People Watch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 10:19 AM

956 posts, read 1,766,923 times
Words fail me at times like this.Parental fault. RIP Rueben Fernandes and Keenan Santos.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:23 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,299,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidgirl View Post
Hope God blesses her and her family in this terrible time.
What has the world come to ??
I'm going to guess that the world hasn't come to anything. Some hundreds of years ago life was a lot harder and more cruel.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:23 PM

208 posts, read 603,883 times
^ Yup. And with the internet and everything going "viral," news like this get noticed and spread across the world.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:13 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
When I was in China, I saw a dead child in the street, with people just walking around the body. It looked like it had been there for several hours, at least. I think it was in Anshun, Gweizhou. Apparently, this is not uncommon.

These are not the kinds of social customs that Americans have any business imposing their standards on. If you insist on forcing your ideas on the rest of the world, you can keep on expecting more 9/11's.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:05 AM

26,778 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
When I was in China, I saw a dead child in the street, with people just walking around the body. It looked like it had been there for several hours, at least. I think it was in Anshun, Gweizhou. Apparently, this is not uncommon.

These are not the kinds of social customs that Americans have any business imposing their standards on. If you insist on forcing your ideas on the rest of the world, you can keep on expecting more 9/11's.
I am sorry, you can talk about "imposing standards" of "social customs" in reference to Islamic customs for example ( vs. non-Islamic)
But you can't "impose standards" of valuing the human life.
That's something about the believes of any given nation. They either get it or they don't.
Dead child on a street of China is not about people thinking that it's normal, but most likely a result of inability to prevent this kind of things from happening and hence - the apathy towards it.
Walking over the dead bodies indifferently, overall is not the biggest trait of the human nature, the difference is in the level of tolerance and acceptance of it.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:42 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,856,694 times
I imagine running over a child in China, is equivalent to running over a squirrel in Arkansas.

The difference is when you hit a squirrel in Arkansas you feel guilty for a while, but you realize there is nothing you can do.

Every culture is peculiar in its own way.

C'est la vie.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
I imagine running over a child in China, is equivalent to running over a squirrel in Arkansas.

The difference is when you hit a squirrel in Arkansas you feel guilty for a while, but you realize there is nothing you can do.

Every culture is peculiar in its own way.

C'est la vie.
Again no, I think.
Dead child is still a dead child and dead squirrel is a dead squirrel.
What's happening here, is that "people in charge" - (let's call them government - shall we?) put the money ( or ideology) above anything else, and the whole society operates on these premises. Just read the laws they've created for example regarding the support of a crippled by the driver person. Under these circumstances people with normal mentality to whom killed child is obviously not the same as a killed squirrel, can do nothing about it, because they are squeezed by the absence of money and power. And the reason behind such laws? Obviously the reluctance of the government to pay a penny to someone in crippled condition, so they assign the payments to the drivers till the rest of their lives. What's the direct result of it? Preference to finish off the victim on behalf of a driver and indifference from the on-lookers, who understand that they might be in financial trouble if they come to the rescue. That's how the system is set.
You can get very similar results (in terms of low value of human life) in the society that's ruled by ideology.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:18 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Contrast with this:

Let's say that each American prisoner is the parent of an average of one child. That means there are 2-million children in the USA who have a parent who is incarcerated, half of them for non-violent crimes. That's an average of one child in every classroom with a father in prison, mostly needlessly.

The American people have absolutely no concern about the welfare of these children, who must be raised by a single parent, and when their father is released from prison, has almost no chance of ever being gainfully employed.

The child of a convicted felon might as well have been run over by a car, but nobody in America gives a damn. Where is the outrage? The same goes for the children of unemployed parents, more than half of whom now have exhausted their unemployment compensation and have no income. We grudgingly toss a few food stamps at them, and scream bloody murder about how they are stealing our hard earned money.

You're fine ones to talk about cultural disregard for the well-being of children. It is projected that by 2025, more than half of all Americans will be confirmed and medically treated diabetic by the time they graduate from high school. How do you think the Chinese would feel about our unwillingness to do anything about that?

Old 11-07-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Contrast with this:

Let's say that each American prisoner is the parent of an average of one child. That means there are 2-million children in the USA who have a parent who is incarcerated, half of them for non-violent crimes. That's an average of one child in every classroom with a father in prison, mostly needlessly.

The American people have absolutely no concern about the welfare of these children, who must be raised by a single parent, and when their father is released from prison, has almost no chance of ever being gainfully employed.

The child of a convicted felon might as well have been run over by a car, but nobody in America gives a damn. Where is the outrage? The same goes for the children of unemployed parents, more than half of whom now have exhausted their unemployment compensation and have no income. We grudgingly toss a few food stamps at them, and scream bloody murder about how they are stealing our hard earned money.
I understand what you are saying (after all Ive seen enough in the US to understand it,) but on another hand for example in Russia they don't even know what food stamps are. When the family gets between the rock and the hard place, the government simply takes the children away and places them in orphanages, because it's cheaper for the government to hurdle all these children to the orphanages. After that parents can scream "bloody murder" all they want but to no avail.
So as you can see we are not talking here about "ultimate good vs ultimate evil," but rather which one is the lesser evil. America indeed is a more merciful society.

Quote:
You're fine ones to talk about cultural disregard for the well-being of children. It is projected that by 2025, more than half of all Americans will be confirmed and medically treated diabetic by the time they graduate from high school. How do you think the Chinese would feel about our unwillingness to do anything about that?
I don't think they either know or care. They have plenty of their own headaches to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia