Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 12:31 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times

Advertisements

I love the Tagalog "voice over" voice like this guy has. The characters also speak it well

Nestle Philippines Kasambuhay Habambuhay Short Film Anthology: "Cooking Mo, Cooking Ko" - YouTube

It can be a beautiful, "karinyoso" language when it wants to be. It also helps when there aren't any English words

Last edited by Smtchll; 02-05-2014 at 12:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 03:28 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,114,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjelman7 View Post
Both Tagalog and Hawaiian belong to the family of Malayo-Polynesian languages.

I believe "colonial mentality" is the term you were looking for.

Compared to Cebuano, it seems like Tagalog has more syllables with "g" sounds and their words/sentences seem lengthier (more syllables).

example:

English: "Good morning."

Tagalog: "Magandang umaga."

Cebuano: "Maayong buntag."
Ng is part of Filipino alphabet, notice why "ng" is always there NGipin, PaNGalan, PaNGAko, TaNGhali, kuNG, AtiNG, maganda-NG, mabuti-NG that is why you'll notice why there is many 'g' and I had error we are now using Filipino not just Tagalog as our national language.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:41 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,114,730 times
Lol there is a funny joke conversation between Ilocano and Tagalog like the word daga in Ilocano is lupa in Tagalog meaning land but in Tagalog the meaning is rat or mouse in English. Magsasaka (farmer) in Tagalog but in Ilocano 'saka' means barefoot, Awit (sing) in Tagalog but in Ilocano means to carry lol there are words in Tagalog different meaning to other Philippine native languages so as other tagalog to other Tagalog.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:12 AM

Ilonggo and Waray conversation

ASF Lovely as Interpreter - YouTube

I read this in one of the comments. I don't know how accurate it is, but I thought it was funny:

"Lovely says to the boy: "Tarunga na lang pagsabat ha?" which is Hiligaynon for "Just answer correctly okay?" to which the Waray boy would interpret in English as something like "Eggplant the singing okay?" ..or when Lovely says: "O sige hampang na" which is Hiligaynon for "Okay go play now" but to the Waray kid it would mean "Okay go talk now". Lawl."

If that's true, then it shows that even Visayans get confused with their "dialects"

Old 02-05-2014, 04:47 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Ilonggo and Waray conversation

ASF Lovely as Interpreter - YouTube

I read this in one of the comments. I don't know how accurate it is, but I thought it was funny:

"Lovely says to the boy: "Tarunga na lang pagsabat ha?" which is Hiligaynon for "Just answer correctly okay?" to which the Waray boy would interpret in English as something like "Eggplant the singing okay?" ..or when Lovely says: "O sige hampang na" which is Hiligaynon for "Okay go play now" but to the Waray kid it would mean "Okay go talk now". Lawl."

If that's true, then it shows that even Visayans get confused with their "dialects"
We don't have a word " tarunga ". Maybe it should have been " Kay uha or Namia ".

Oh I got it now... Came from the word " tarong ". But we do not usually say " tarunga ".

Old 02-05-2014, 04:15 PM

^ Yeah, I think the guy who commented meant that the boy heard "tarunga" and since it's not a word in Waray, he would think "tarong" (eggplant) instead. He looked a little confused on that part. But "pagsabat" doesn't mean "singing" in Waray does it? I think it means "answer" like in Ilonggo. The 2 languages seem similar enough to be one language. What do you think?

Old 02-12-2014, 03:30 PM

13 posts, read 23,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
We don't have a word " tarunga ". Maybe it should have been " Kay uha or Namia ".

Oh I got it now... Came from the word " tarong ". But we do not usually say " tarunga ".
Tarong in Ilocano is talong or *eggplant* in english haha,waray is way hard for me to understand,how many dialects are there in Visayas region by the way?,though i know for fact that WE have 13 major dialects in the philippines.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:11 PM

199 posts, read 336,594 times
Tarong in Cebuano means something like behave, act proper, etc.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinayginger View Post
Tarong in Ilocano is talong or *eggplant* in english haha,waray is way hard for me to understand,how many dialects are there in Visayas region by the way?,though i know for fact that WE have 13 major dialects in the philippines.
There are 12 major languages, but at least 150 languages total

Old 02-13-2014, 12:02 AM

199 posts, read 336,594 times
I wonder what kind of criteria was used to determine that Tagalog should be the national language of the Philippines (aka "Filipino"). Is it because that was the native language of the Spanish colonial capital (Manila)? From my basic research, it does not make sense.

The second most-spoken language, Cebuano, stretches from the Visayas to Mindanao (in other words, two of the three major island groups of PI). Looking back at history, Magellan first arrived on Homonhon (Eastern Samar province) and was later guided to Cebu where he met Rajah Humabon. Italian scholar Antonio Pigafetta also documented the Cebuano language. In other words, Spanish colonization of the Philippines was "born" in the Visayas region. Furthermore, Cebuano has more closely related languages than Tagalog has (i.e. Ilonggo, Waray, etc.), which means it would have been easier to spread as a national language.

Last edited by kanjelman7; 02-13-2014 at 12:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia