Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 11:42 AM

55 posts, read 128,773 times

Advertisements

Hi.

So after struggling to get and keep jobs in the prosperous West for the best part of the year after graduating in June 2011, I have decided to move to China in the Spring or Summer of this year to teach English. I applied for a prestigious journalism trainee scheme over here in the UK last year, got through to the last round of the applications and was rejected, I believe, because of lack of experience like this, as well as the inability to speak any languages.

I also want to travel and make a difference somewhere, even if it is a small one. I didn't get chance to have the obligatory gap year during University because of family issues, so I'm looking to make up for it.

I found the opportunity through my University's jobs page and haven't really had any information off the people aside from an email saying they'll send me more information and what was on the original advertisement:

Quote:
800 RMB per month or 1,000 RMB per month if you have a BA degree, TEFL qualification or at least 1-2 years teaching experience.
10 hours Mandarin lessons per week.
Free Accommodation provided. No bills to pay. Internet, gas, electricity and water are provided (however, the use of air-conditioner and telephone charges must be paid for by the participant).
Free lunch for 6 days per week.
Free two day trip to Jiuhuashan.
Free airport pick-up at either Nanjing or Shanghai airport.
Help with booking train tickets and hotels if you are planning to travel.
Now I know that this might be too good to be true. I had a friend who worked on a Panda reserve for a couple of months in China a couple of years ago, and his 'free chinese lessons' turned out to be two girls behind the bar who were willing to try to teach if you wanted to learn.

I'm still waiting for a reply off the people. It's organised by Aston Language Centre. From what the job advertisement says, you don't seem to need a TEFL qualification, and I have a BA Degree so I would qualify for the extra money.

So essentially I am looking for information from you guys on what to expect and whether I'm getting myself in to some kind of semi-scam. Would I most likely be living with other teachers? Does the internet usually include a VPN to get on western websites? Being in contact with my family and my girlfriend would be important and the internet would be the easiest way to do this. Would I have to support myself using some of my own money?

Anything you can help me with would be great, thanks. As well as some tips on living and behaving in Shanghai.

Sam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 12:00 PM

635 posts, read 1,657,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBlueRuins View Post
Hi.

So after struggling to get and keep jobs in the prosperous West for the best part of the year after graduating in June 2011, I have decided to move to China in the Spring or Summer of this year to teach English. I applied for a prestigious journalism trainee scheme over here in the UK last year, got through to the last round of the applications and was rejected, I believe, because of lack of experience like this, as well as the inability to speak any languages.

I also want to travel and make a difference somewhere, even if it is a small one. I didn't get chance to have the obligatory gap year during University because of family issues, so I'm looking to make up for it.

I found the opportunity through my University's jobs page and haven't really had any information off the people aside from an email saying they'll send me more information and what was on the original advertisement:

Now I know that this might be too good to be true. I had a friend who worked on a Panda reserve for a couple of months in China a couple of years ago, and his 'free chinese lessons' turned out to be two girls behind the bar who were willing to try to teach if you wanted to learn.

I'm still waiting for a reply off the people. It's organised by Aston Language Centre. From what the job advertisement says, you don't seem to need a TEFL qualification, and I have a BA Degree so I would qualify for the extra money.

So essentially I am looking for information from you guys on what to expect and whether I'm getting myself in to some kind of semi-scam. Would I most likely be living with other teachers? Does the internet usually include a VPN to get on western websites? Being in contact with my family and my girlfriend would be important and the internet would be the easiest way to do this. Would I have to support myself using some of my own money?

Anything you can help me with would be great, thanks. As well as some tips on living and behaving in Shanghai.

Sam.
Tiger Beer has given me great advice. Many of those jobs are legit. Go to Daves ESL Cafe.com. I'm looking at S Korea in the future.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:44 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,864,525 times
800 RMB per month or 1,000 RMB per month if you have a BA degree,
TEFL qualification or at least 1-2 years teaching experience.
10 hours Mandarin lessons per week.
126.813 USD - 158.516 USD / 10 hours = $12.8 - $15.8/hour

Free Accommodation provided. No bills to pay. Internet, gas, electricity and water are provided (however, the use of air-conditioner and telephone charges must be paid for by the participant).
room + utilities = $300 - $500/month

Free lunch for 6 days per week.
If you're not picky.

Free two day trip to Jiuhuashan.
Free airport pick-up at either Nanjing or Shanghai airport.
Help with booking train tickets and hotels if you are planning to travel.
No biggie

Be careful when you sign the contract. Read all the small prints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBlueRuins View Post

Sam.
Hope these links are useful.

Danwei Jobs

EPIK - English Program in Korea - Public School Jobs in Korea - Teaching in Korea | Teach Away Inc.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:42 PM

43,748 posts, read 44,512,487 times
Usually the internet provided in China doesn't include VPN. So if you want access to Western websites (such as Facebook, Youtube, etc.) you will have pay for VPN yourself. It is possible to use Skype in China so that might be the best option to stay in touch with people besides email.
Free lunch usually means whatever local Chinese food is available.
You might be sharing accommodations with other teachers. You should ask about that.
Also does this contract include health insurance?
In general Shanghai is a great place for foreign teachers as one is not isolated from other Westerners as in other parts of China. Also plenty of local tourist attractions there.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:28 PM

209 posts, read 680,410 times
$158 a month... living in Shanghai? Yikes!

Old 01-08-2012, 03:58 PM

211 posts, read 566,988 times
1,000RMB is month is very little, even with your lunches and accommodation paid for. The AC bill will likely cost you around half of your 1,000 RMB; Shanghai and Nanjing are very hot and sticky in the summer. It's nice that they will help you book travel, but on what you'll have left after paying your AC bill, you won't be able to afford (much, if any) travel.
Are you sure it's 1,000 RMB a month and not 1,000 dollars?
Scott

Old 01-08-2012, 05:49 PM

635 posts, read 1,657,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonreadhead View Post
1,000RMB is month is very little, even with your lunches and accommodation paid for. The AC bill will likely cost you around half of your 1,000 RMB; Shanghai and Nanjing are very hot and sticky in the summer. It's nice that they will help you book travel, but on what you'll have left after paying your AC bill, you won't be able to afford (much, if any) travel.
Are you sure it's 1,000 RMB a month and not 1,000 dollars?
Scott
Try S Korea, pays better and many say they are able to save quite a bit. Look at some you tube videos....they show you their apt's ( paid for)and one guy shows you his bills...Cheap!

Old 01-08-2012, 07:53 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,242,215 times
Teaching jobs in China:

Dave's ESL Cafe China Job Board - China Job Board

Forum from English teachers about jobs in China:

Job Discussion Forums :: View Forum - China (Job-related Posts Only)

There are ton of us english teachers all over Asia. Tons of expat bars, tons of everything you can imagine. I've been living mostly in South Korea and now Japan (in Asia). I also went and taught in South America for a year, and lived in Europe for a year, where I didn't teach (but only because it didn't seem worth it there).

China is an excellent choice. Basically, Japan/Korea/China seem to be the best three to teach in. Of course, if someone was really interested in ONLY (such-and-such country), and teaching English was an option, I'd encourage them. But short of that, it's easiest over here.

In China, the pay isn't that high, but you'll earn more than enough to live comfortable well in China. You won't have a ton of money you can do extensive world travels on, but if you like China, you'll have more than enough to really enjoy China, through teaching.

As mentioned above, China does block a lot of internet sites. I have some good friends who absolutely love CHINA. However, when they are on China soil, I don't hear from them at all through facebook, as it's mostly always blocked. Yeah, there are some ways around that too though.

I've also been over there a few times, to China in general, and Shanghai once. It seems to be an interesting and quickly changing place. Maybe the most interesting as so many sudden changes.

Personally I love living in Japan right now. But among a few of us teachers, we say that we'll all end up in China someday, if we stay in the esl market. It seems to be the country of the future by almost all accounts.

The interesting thing I've noticed about many expats that choose to teach in China, is that the laws are much more conducive to starting businesses even as a foreigner. So it seems that many english teachers end up starting a restaurant or something of that matter, which is interesting.

But as others have mentioned, the job you're looking at is very low pay. Be careful of CHina, shop around. CHina is still cowboy land of no restrictions when it comes to so many things. So people might not always be as honest as they should, and you might agree to something you shouldn't. However, once you were in Asia/China, you'll quickly network with others, and figure everything out, and land on your feet.

These are easy countries to make a living, even if you make an initial wrong mistake at the beginning.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:25 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,922,340 times
I would never teach in China for 1,000 RMB! That might be enough to survive in Shanghai since they offer free housing, but if you ever want to eat non-Chinese food or go to the clubs at all then you'll be losing money each month. I interned in Shanghai for a summer in 2009, and although it was cheaper than the West, I spent more than that a month. What are your interests? I loved China, but my experience as an intern was different than someone teaching and trying to pay bills. Oh, and be prepared to see a lot of spitting. And mothers let their children urinate on the streets often. In the West we hear so much of how modern the city is, that was surprising at the time.

Also, where exactly is the job? It'll likely be way out in the boondocks. By boondocks, I mean a sea of high-rises of course, but far from the action and the Shanghai you've probably heard about.

I agree with TigerBeer and the others, definitely check out Dave's. I got my job teaching English in South Korea from there. Just take all the complainers with a grain of salt-if you're having an amazing time, you'll have less time to gripe online

Anyways, one big difference I noticed between Shanghai and Seoul was that the expat crowd in Shanghai was more diverse. In Korea, it's dominated by English teachers and soldiers from the US/UK. In Seoul, you really need to go to the Hongdae neighborhood to find a diverse group of foreigners (if that's your thing). Of course, there are many more expats in the Seoul area than in Shanghai.

As an aside, I love that a gap year is "obligatory" outside of the US.

Last edited by destinedtodave; 01-08-2012 at 08:37 PM..

Old 01-08-2012, 08:28 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,922,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
Try S Korea, pays better and many say they are able to save quite a bit. Look at some you tube videos....they show you their apt's ( paid for)and one guy shows you his bills...Cheap!
Agreed on this for the brand-new teacher. I think Shanghai would be better for someone who could negotiate much better terms.

My heating/water bills were always under $100, but I always thought they were a tad high considering the size of my apt! Haha. I really really miss only paying like 3% in taxes though....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia