Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 01:20 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
So true, South Korea certainly is on the underrated list! Its a great country.

Overrated - For me -Singapore
South Korea has always been overshadowed by Japan. I think only now are outsiders realising what a unique culture it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 02:58 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,015,659 times
Overrated:
Thailand. I was underwhelmed by chaotic trafficy Bangkok. Thought Phuket and Chiang Mai were overrun by tourists. And I got tired of cabbies, etc. trying to sell me whores.

Underrated:
LAOS
Except for Luang Prabang which seems to be backpacker central, Laos is a lovely country.

Philippines
Less visited than Thailand but also has its shre of nice beaches, good food, scenery and if thats your thing, whores.

I'm very keen to check out South Korea. From what little Ive seen, I'm impressed at how seemingly technologically advanced it can be (Seoul). and I love Korean food!

Old 01-31-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Overrated:
Thailand. I was underwhelmed by chaotic trafficy Bangkok. Thought Phuket and Chiang Mai were overrun by tourists. And I got tired of cabbies, etc. trying to sell me whores.

Underrated:
LAOS
Except for Luang Prabang which seems to be backpacker central, Laos is a lovely country.

Philippines
Less visited than Thailand but also has its shre of nice beaches, good food, scenery and if thats your thing, whores.

I'm very keen to check out South Korea. From what little Ive seen, I'm impressed at how seemingly technologically advanced it can be (Seoul). and I love Korean food!
Vietnam is like that times 10. After the chaos of Vietnam, Bangkok actually felt like a relief. Quiet, could actually cross the road without saying a prayer. Not every om driver trying to sell me whores (none did in Thailand, since it's a lot easier to find obviously) and I wasn't stressed out as in Vietnam because not everyone appeared to be ripping me off.

Hawkers/touts are actually not as bad in Thailand as other Asian countries.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:42 PM

174 posts, read 640,090 times
Overrated:
Japan. It's not surprising everything Japanese is gold to foreigner's eyes. But Japan is a very costly country to visit to. Plus the tourist traps scattered in Tokyo.

Thailand. The most visited country in Asia. Not as overrated as Japan tho.

Maldives. It's a overpriced destination. I can think of other destinations as good or even better than Maldives.

Underrated:
Sri Lanka. It's a very beautiful, tropical & serene place. Colombo is probly one of the most beautiful city in Asia.

Bhutan. Maybe due to it's limited access, it has contributed to being underrated.

Taiwan. Often gets overlooked.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:46 AM

8 posts, read 19,057 times
Default re:title

overrated:
china
south korea
taiwang
singapore

underrated:
tailand
india
north korea

Old 06-24-2012, 11:43 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,207,880 times
I'm sorry but India has to be the most overrated country in Asia. I hear people talking about how "Beautiful" India is and how great the people are. Have these people been to India? Its a total dump, I'm sorry. There are some really friendly and intelligent people in India, but the country is a mess. People Non stop asking for tips in the hotels and restaurants, monkeys and cow crap in the streets, and in some of the largest cities they don't even have taxis, only tuk tuk motor bike taxis.

I will say the food is pretty damn good, but it puts you off when you look at these people bathing or swimming in these horribly dirty bodies of water.

Underrated: Taiwan - Great place to live but Taipei is pricey. 2nd tier cities are good deals.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caremeo View Post
overrated:
china
south korea
taiwang
singapore

underrated:
tailand
india
north korea
Thailand is overrated if anything. It's charm has largely been spoiled by hoards of tourists.

For a more authentic Asian experience, Myanmar, Laos, and Cambodia and Vietnam although the last two are going through the same process as Thailand did.

Underrated might actually be Malaysia. I prefer it for holidays to Thailand, the food is even better (and I love Thai food), the scenery COMPARATIVELY less spoiled (more rainforest.etc), especially East Malaysia/Borneo, and most people speak basic English at least.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:54 AM

10,641 posts, read 16,025,322 times
Tourist Arrivals Asia 2013:

China 129 million

Hong Kong 54.3

Turkey 34.9

Thailand 26.7
Malaysia 25.7

Singapore 15.5
South Korea 12.1
Japan 11.2

Indonesia 8.7
Taiwan 8.0
Vietnam 7.6
India 6.8

Philippines 4.7
Cambodia 4.2
Laos 3.8
Israel 3.5
Burma 2.0
Sri Lanka 1.3
Lebanon 1.3

Nepal 0.8
Mongolia 0.5
Brunei 0.2

Old 03-27-2014, 04:32 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,744,395 times
Wow, India is very low for how big it is

Old 03-27-2014, 05:29 AM

10,641 posts, read 16,025,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Wow, India is very low for how big it is
Brazil is almost 3 times as big and a lot more developed got even less tourists with 6 million last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia