Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 02:27 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Do you know anything at all about the UAE, except what you know about Dubai?

I just did a Google search to try to find a picture of a house outside Dubai that an ordinary working stiff lives in, and gave up my search. I couldn't find one.

UAE is as big as Hungary, and has six more cities with over 100,000 people. 80% of the population are foreign workers. How come we know almost nothing about the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 03:14 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
It seems like they must tear down all the old buildings and build new buildings

I found this in the southern part of the country but it seems like the area is still full of Arizona style suburban homes
Panoramio - Photo of Saquib Restaurant

Old 03-06-2012, 03:55 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Only about a quarter of the UAE's population lives in greater Dubai. The UAE was known as Trucial States after the end of colonialism until 1971, when they united. They had consisted of seven little sheikdoms, each of which went from British protection to being fairly automonous, and their chief source of imcome was the prodigious number of postage stamps, sold to juvenile collectors everywhere, depicting scenes were were rarely characteristic of that part of the world, and which were the bane of serious collectors:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_l7cgk7Gmma...stamps+011.jpg

The stamps were printed by the ton, and then cancelled without ever being used, reducing their postal legitimacy to gaudy labels.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-06-2012 at 04:04 PM..

Old 03-06-2012, 04:22 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Only about a quarter of the UAE's population lives in greater Dubai. The UAE was known as Trucial States after the end of colonialism until 1971, when they united. They had consisted of seven little sheikdoms, each of which went from British protection to being fairly automonous, and their chief source of imcome was the prodigious number of postage stamps, sold to juvenile collectors everywhere, depicting scenes were were rarely characteristic of that part of the world, and which were the bane of serious collectors:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_l7cgk7Gmma...stamps+011.jpg

The stamps were printed by the ton, and then cancelled without ever being used, reducing their postal legitimacy to gaudy labels.
lol I had tons of those stamps from ras al kaima, sharjah, etc.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:06 PM

174 posts, read 640,191 times
The Ferrari World in Abu Dhabi.
And the immigrants' human rights in UAE sucks.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:43 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
I find it odd that while the UAE is considered one of the most liberal of the Gulf states, decapitation is still a legal form of execution and punishments for crimes such as adultery can be harsh.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:03 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times
They play cricket in Sharjah as well as Dubai. There is a zoo in Al Ain. There are a few Omani exclaves completely surrounded by the UAE. They have Arabian tahr. I believe Sharjah or Jumeira established the first national park in the country in the last few years. Etihad Airlines has Abu Dhabi for its hub and headquarters too I think.

Last edited by AuburnAL; 03-07-2012 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: Remembered the airline in question was called Eti Had.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:57 AM

326 posts, read 1,041,084 times
Abu Dhabi is the capital of the UAE and is richer even than Dubai. It is more conservative, however, so there's less of the flashy five-star hotel scene and exclusive beach clubs with tax-free living expats throwing their weight around that you get in Dubai. I actually prefer Abu Dhabi – it feels more of a real city than Dubai. It has a proper downtown – which is on a peninsular, with gridded streets and quite a high-density. This makes it feel a bit like a mini-Manhattan – which you can walk around on pavements. Unlike in Dubai – where it's all taxis and valet parking and malls. Abu Dhabi also has better beaches IMO. There are still bars and clubs etc (within hotels) where you can drink and let your hair down. Abu Dhabi is still just as multi-cultural as Dubai: Emiratis make up a small minority of the population – whereas there are massive South Asian, other Arab (Egyptian, Syrian, Moroccan), African and European (particularly British) communities.

The new grand projects in Abu Dhabi – such as Reem Island or Al-Masdar City – seem to be more sustainable and well thought through than the Palm Islands or the World Islands in Dubai. Abu Dhabi's housing however is VERY expensive and not quite to the same flashy luxury quality that comes as standard in Dubai.

Never been to the other emirates. They are all very minor compared to Abu Dhabi and Dubai, and much more conservative and less international.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:10 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
the UAE is a place where workers rights dont exist , they pay indian and pakistani construction workers peanuts , wage agreements mean nothing

foreign investor rights are ( contract agreements ) not worth the paper thier printed on if things get rough ,the whole countrys legal framework can change on the whim of the ruling shiek who has a role in every single economic project from real estate development to you name it

its a total nightmare , got burned investing in property in dubai a few years ago

Old 03-20-2012, 08:35 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Do you know anything at all about the UAE, except what you know about Dubai?

I just did a Google search to try to find a picture of a house outside Dubai that an ordinary working stiff lives in, and gave up my search. I couldn't find one.

UAE is as big as Hungary, and has six more cities with over 100,000 people. 80% of the population are foreign workers. How come we know almost nothing about the country?
Not even 30 years ago, most of Dubai was all but desert. You'd be incredibly hard pressed to find old houses on the outskirts of a city that didn't exist, out in the middle of a relentless hot desert.

Most of the money originally came in because of 'oil' and Dubai funneling and encouraging money to stay and build that city. Most of it is extremely cheap wages for their predominately Indian population who make up 50% of the city. Than you have all the other guest workers, equally making incredibly low wages. With so many immigrants making almost no money whatsoever, it brings in all the construction and guest services and customer service and everything else.

Regarding looking for a house for an 'ordindary stiff' to live in that is outside the city. Well, I'd imagine an ordinary stiff probably makes a $100/week if they are lucky, and probably lives with 7-8 other predominately Indian males. They are also living next to their jobs and within quick and easy access to work.

This I don't know about, but I'm thinking if someone would live outside the city, in the desert, they might not be guaranteed access to electricity and water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia