Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 10:48 AM

570 posts, read 1,730,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
The woman in the photo looks like Alan Dawa Dolma, a Chinese singer of Tibetan ancestry that's popular in Japan.

yeah, the thing is when she wears Japanese fashion clothing and makeups, she looks like Japanese. She looks like Chinese when she with different hair style and do makeup close Chinese.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:27 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,961,831 times
Fujian is not northern Chinese, it is absolutely in the South. I have been to Beijing and Tianjin in the mid 90s and did not notice a height difference.

Growing up in Northern NJ, I have seen many Koreans and Japanese immigrants who grew up in those countries. I have seen tall and very short from both. My lawyer is korean, and he tells me then was a time, when you had to be selected to come to the states because it was a great privilege. I guess they wanted to represent their race well when they gave out the papers.

The thing with China is that many times it has been a prosperous nation, and outsideres have always sought to live there. Nomads, Koreans, Japanese, Thai, Burmese, Malays have all at some times during the great Dynasties, moved to China Proper in order to take advantage of economic opportunities. And I am talking about antiquity. Even Persians, Arabs, and Jews have been to China and lived there. Ancient and forgotten races like the Sogdians have also added their stock to the Han.

On top of that the Chinese have also been emigrating overseas for centuries. Many Filipinos, Thai, etc have much Han DNA in them.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:58 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beiyang1 View Post
Well, someone told me "northern Chinese have paler skin, bigger noses, and smaller eyes" and "southern Chinese have flatter noses, dark skin, and double eyelids"

Is this true, or is it something else?

I was really curious and I looked up "northern chinese" and "southern chinese", and they looked the same to me. They all just looked "Chinese".

Who are some famous Chinese people that look northern or southern? (as an example)???
"Southern Chinese" covers a lot of ground, but a study was done by a Russian anthropologist back around the 30's, regarding relative percentage of "negrito" features in Chinese from different regions. (Remember the African migration; some Black tribes still survive around SE Asia, and people with African features were seen around China and Tibet into the early 20th Century.) So he found that people in SE China had the flattest noses and darker skin than other Chinese. The northern Chinese would be more the Manchurian type, which is related to the Mongols, so a completely different ethnicity.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:35 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"Southern Chinese" covers a lot of ground, but a study was done by a Russian anthropologist back around the 30's, regarding relative percentage of "negrito" features in Chinese from different regions. (Remember the African migration; some Black tribes still survive around SE Asia, and people with African features were seen around China and Tibet into the early 20th Century.) So he found that people in SE China had the flattest noses and darker skin than other Chinese. The northern Chinese would be more the Manchurian type, which is related to the Mongols, so a completely different ethnicity.
Ethnicity has more to do with culture: language, customs.etc, and it's borders are kind of blurry anyway. Once upon a time China was composed of separate nations, like Europe. Then somebody decided to unite them into one nation. If history had gone differently, China would be many different countries. Genetically, the Chinese are not a homogeneous group.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
the Chinese are not a homogeneous group.
This is what we're discussing. Northern China is Manchuria and Inner Mongolia. The Manchus and Mongols are a completely different people and nationality. Both dominated China at various times in its history.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-25-2012 at 11:02 AM..

Old 08-25-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
This is what we're discussing. Northern China is Manchuria and Inner Mongolia. The Manchus and Mongols are a completely different people and nationality. Both dominated China at various times in its history.
Well even within the boundaries of so-called 'China proper.' Residents of say Fujian province, for instance, are a mix of tribes from before the Han dynasty (when Han China incorporated the 'Barbarian' lands), the Han invaders (who themselves had Mongol etc admixture. The original Huaxia were probably fairly similar to Tibetans.etc with a recent origin in the Gobi desert) and, in some places like the port city of Quanzhou, even Persians, Arabs, Indians, 'Malays'.etc.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:10 AM

Speaking of Han Chinese generally, they're characteristically round-headed. Turko-Mongol-Manchu people are long-headed, as are Tibetan nomads. I'm starting to wonder what the OP really had in mind to ask: northern Han vs. southern Han, or northern China as a whole (which would include the non-Han peoples) vs. southern China? Even SE China (Yunnan Province) has Tibetan-descended tribes. Maybe all the OP wanted was photos of a variety of peoples in China, so s/he could learn to discern between them.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:07 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,961,831 times
Northern China is also the land between the Yellow, and Yangzte rivers. Now did the Mongols, Manchus, and Han leave africa and come here in the same group, and then split up later, or were they different groups leaving africa in the beginning?

Old 08-25-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Northern China is also the land between the Yellow, and Yangzte rivers. Now did the Mongols, Manchus, and Han leave africa and come here in the same group, and then split up later, or were they different groups leaving africa in the beginning?
It should be obvious the three groups are very interrelated. Manchus often just look like northern Han to me, Mongols have a slightly different look. Mongols are kind of related to Koreans, I believe.

I remember a Chinese study that claimed the Han Chinese and the Tibetans diverged about 3000 years ago - another study claimed 6000 years, now it's generally believed to be between the two. Thing is, of course, there was no such thing as a 'Han Chinese' ethnicity 3000 years ago anyway.

The current theory is that humans left Africa about 60,000 years ago, this group split up about 30,000 years ago between the so-called proto Europeans and all Asians. In my estimation the Manchu are very similar to the Chinese of the NE provinces (formerely Manchuria), especially now they're intermarried and even before that looked pretty much the same. Mongols vary, actually, some Mongolians actually even have blonde hair and light coloured eyes! Of course that's not the norm though, but there is some Central Asian influence in the west of Mongolia, as there is in western China.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Speaking of Han Chinese generally, they're characteristically round-headed. Turko-Mongol-Manchu people are long-headed, as are Tibetan nomads. I'm starting to wonder what the OP really had in mind to ask: northern Han vs. southern Han, or northern China as a whole (which would include the non-Han peoples) vs. southern China? Even SE China (Yunnan Province) has Tibetan-descended tribes. Maybe all the OP wanted was photos of a variety of peoples in China, so s/he could learn to discern between them.
I find having long, narrow faces is commoner among Northern Han. Northern Han are closer to the Manchus and other tribes of Northeastern China, Mongolia etc in general. Don't know what you mean by 'Turko', do you mean those from the 'stans'? If so they are the 'transition' zone into a more Caucasoid appearance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia