Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 05:45 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times

Advertisements

That above one, is why I was glad to get out of Niigata (northern Japan!). Not much activity at all going on in Osaka/Kansai!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 04:22 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 6 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,917,464 times
I can see Japan becoming a little bit of an immigrant nation, but only with slow gradual changes for that, and not in high numbers/fast changes with ethnic, racial demographics.

There is a significant amount of foreigners/people from other countries that already moved to Japan and live there. They have acceptance and respect in Japan but they certainly have a different status from ethnic Japanese citizens. That kind of status probably won’t change anytime soon.

Plenty of Japanese people are open and accepting to foreigners in a lot of ways, and some of that penetrates and influence modern Japanese culture. However, at the same time, the Japanese don’t want too much excessive influence from foreigners/other countries.

It is a form of connection but also insular detachment simultaneously.

Japan is a paradox for topics such as this.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:32 AM

1,136 posts, read 525,283 times
Few white Or non asians are born in or moved to Japan comparing with the number of Chinese , Koreans and Southeast Asians in Japan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
In the developed world, Japan must stick out as being the least diverse/most homogeneous country (with Scandinavia not too far behind). I'm not saying this is a bad thing: diversity doesn't necessarily make a country better or worse, it just how it is. But given the aging population and Japan's population decline, do you think they will begin to take in more and more non-Japanese to bolster the workforce? I mean I know 94 million is still a large population, but it will be a lot older by then, and they might want more people to support the populace.

I imagine Westerners as much as other Asians might be incorporated...Many Westerners already work there, and a select few probably plan to settle there, if they can. While I'm not sure how hard it is to get a permanent residence visa there, if possible at all, I wonder if the Japanese will ever change it's attitude?

I doubt it will ever become a 'melting' pot like the US or even France, of course, nor am I saying it should. But do you see other nations - say Americans, Koreans, Chinese, Indians - migrating to Japanese in significant numbers and perhaps even forming a permanent, minority American Japanese? Like white European or American Japanese people born in Japan who are raised Japanese, speak the language.etc in the same way there are Japanese Americans?

Old 11-07-2019, 09:37 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomboy- View Post
Few white Or non asians are born in or moved to Japan comparing with the number of Chinese , Koreans and Southeast Asians in Japan.
Dude, what's with your necro-posting festival? You single handedly moved down active topics by bringing up so many old threads. These might be useful topics back in 2012 but most of the posters have moved on to other topics or even away from this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia