Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 07:09 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
I would say Malaysia is more the underdog since Indonesia has this ultimate gem (Bali!) which is known all over the world, while Malaysia's attractions could never be on the same tier of popularity as Bali.

While I agree that Indonesian cuisine can be delicious (esp Padang food! ah how I miss those) and varied, the distinctiveness of each ethnic cuisine is still fairly small compared to the stark differences between the Chinese, Indian, and Malay food in Malaysian cuisine, in which each component is a huge world of cuisine on their own, and yet they somehow manage to find a middle ground to harmonize in Malaysia.
Malaysia's nature seems far more accessible than Indonesia, even if Indonesia has such a wealth too. You have relatively unspoilt beaches by Asian standards on the east coast, coral reefs.etc, you can watch turtles nesting. Malaysia has the world famous Taman Negara National Park, touted as the 'oldest rainforest in the world' where one can see the rainforest and if you're lucky, rhinos, elephants, gaur, leopards, sunbears and even tigers as well as hundreds of bird species. East Malaysia/Malaysian Borneo, Sabah and Sarawak, have rainforest, coral reefs, towering mountains to climb. The best place to see orang-utans in the wild. Indonesian national parks are a bit less accessible, which is a pity (well it's good in a sense that it protects them - although there's the threat of logging ). Gunung Leusuer in Sumatra is one of the most diverse in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 07:17 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,654,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Malaysia's nature seems far more accessible than Indonesia, even if Indonesia has such a wealth too. You have relatively unspoilt beaches by Asian standards on the east coast, coral reefs.etc, you can watch turtles nesting. Malaysia has the world famous Taman Negara National Park, touted as the 'oldest rainforest in the world' where one can see the rainforest and if you're lucky, rhinos, elephants, gaur, leopards, sunbears and even tigers as well as hundreds of bird species. East Malaysia/Malaysian Borneo, Sabah and Sarawak, have rainforest, coral reefs, towering mountains to climb. The best place to see orang-utans in the wild. Indonesian national parks are a bit less accessible, which is a pity (well it's good in a sense that it protects them - although there's the threat of logging ). Gunung Leusuer in Sumatra is one of the most diverse in the world.
The thing is even if its less accessible you can go for the more accessible islands like Java, Sumatra, Bali and Lombok, all have its natural wealth

Old 03-07-2017, 02:24 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,288,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It seems many Americans are quite clueless about the nations of Malaysia and Indonesia. From what I've heard quality Malay/Indonesian food is almost unheard of in the States, while it's often considered one of the best places in the WORLD for food. It's better known in Australia, but even here most only go to Bali, ignoring Indonesia's thousands of other islands. Malaysia is well visited but I think Thailand is a bit ahead. I honestly think Malaysia is more enjoyable to visit, has more intact nature, the people are friendlier and most speak English. It just seems odd that it's stature is not bigger. Bangkok and Singapore are considerably more well known to Americans than Kuala Lumpur and Jakarta.
Knowledge of food is usually a function of the diaspora. There are far fewer Malays or Indonesians migrating to the US and thus fewer opportunities to enjoy their cuisine.

some classic dishes like nasi goreng and Penang curry are often in Asian Fusion menus.

It stands to reason why both places are better known in Australia since the latter is in the region!

Bali is legendary but now very tired. What a shame. I first went nearly 30 years ago when it was paradise.

More seasoned travelers know Indo quite well. So perhaps you are taking about first time travelers?

Thailand is as legendary with incredible cuisine and great openness.

Malay/Indo were friendlier to Foreign expats before globalization and before the rise of Al Quaeda and their buddies. SE Asian Islam was far more low key. This has changed much in 30 years.

Singapore is a capitalist hub, in a way that KL and Jakarta are not and will not ever be.

I do think Malaysia is a sleeper.

S.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:08 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
the migrants coming from these countries are mostly ethnic Chinese. so their numbers might be included with the greater Chinese migrants

Old 03-13-2017, 05:37 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
I think it is largely due to the fact these two countries do not have a coherent national culture or identity to start with. They are artificially "countries" composed of a few islands which happen to be close to each other (same applies to the Philippines.) The idea of Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines is more geographically than national, historical or cultural. This is very different from China, Japan, or Vietnam or Thailand.

Malaysia for example is compose of two main island (actually both parts are part of a peninsular/island) that have close to nothing in common, even historically. Indonesia, no one including Asians knows what the country is about. I am not saying this is bad, but it is why they are "overlooked". Usually countries consisting of a lot of islands and lack a strong culture suffers from this problem.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:02 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
From the US perspective I think people in the US can relate to some of the other Asian countries easier and know more about them.
They also aren't known as much for tourism.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:24 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,203,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I think it is largely due to the fact these two countries do not have a coherent national culture or identity to start with. They are artificially "countries" composed of a few islands which happen to be close to each other (same applies to the Philippines.) The idea of Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines is more geographically than national, historical or cultural. This is very different from China, Japan, or Vietnam or Thailand.

Malaysia for example is compose of two main island (actually both parts are part of a peninsular/island) that have close to nothing in common, even historically. Indonesia, no one including Asians knows what the country is about. I am not saying this is bad, but it is why they are "overlooked". Usually countries consisting of a lot of islands and lack a strong culture suffers from this problem.
Definitely not accurate. Most Southeast Asians can distinguish between Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines. And for the last 500 years, almost all islands of Indonesia belong to the same country, and all islands in the modern Philippines belong to the same country. East Timor had a different history from the rest of Indonesia, and that's one reason they fought for independence. Just because other countries might not know Indonesia or Malaysia that well, does not mean they have no cultural or historical bonds among these islands.

Although Western Malaysia somewhat differs from Eastern Malaysia, they were still both British colonies before joining to become one country. Been to both sides of Malaysia, and they might have differences with each other, but I won't mistake either Sabah or Sarawak as part of the Philippines or Indonesia.

If you're talking about history, Taiwan actually has much fewer years being integrated with China, compared to most parts of Malaysia, Indonesia or the Philippines.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:42 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 9 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
Undeniably, they deserve much more attention to foreigners. Maybe the Islam religious connotations are seriously discouraging various individuals. Thailand, or Singapore is also getting too much foreign exposure nearby. Leaving less opportunities to understand Malaysia, and Indonesia. Countries that are similar to USA, Canada, UK, France have a severe lack of any immigrants from over there. Thus, people not knowing anything about these Southeast Asian sovereignties. On the contrary, Netherlands, and especially Australia have much more migrants from Malaysia, Indonesia. Quite a high frequency of the Oceania citizens to enter Bali Island, Singapore, Malaysia, and even Java Island. Not sure for the Kiwis New Zealanders.

Only Java, Bali are very modern for the 17,508-18,306 islands of Indonesia. All of those other areas are much more technologically backwards, and receiving less Global reputation. Even Sumatra is rather stone age compared to those highest digital electrical islands that are much more better known to all of universal society.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:41 AM

8,488 posts, read 6,891,592 times
Indonesia? I would be somewhat apprehensive about a country where in some places a female can be publicly whipped for talking to a male who is not her husband or a family member.

Or consider Malaysia where females have in some case been barred from certain government offices like the Transportation Department for not being dressed in proper Muslim attire.

Last edited by msgsing; 04-15-2017 at 10:51 AM..

Old 04-16-2017, 12:57 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
that's why they need to go back to the ways of the majapahit, fly the flag of garuda and turn toward secularism
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia