Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 08:47 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

In terms of their culture, society.etc, would you say Pakistan and Bangladesh are pretty much no different to Muslim India?

Before there were official international borders there was no Pakistan or Bangladesh. They were both part of British East India, Bangladesh being roughly the same as the Indian region/state of Bengal (so when you hear mention of 'Bengal' in old literature about India, you know it's in Bangladesh or West Bengal).

What I'm wondering is has the innate CULTURE of these two nations diverged at all since 1947, when they became east and west Pakistan (Bangladesh was actually not sovereign until 1971), or would you say that they are basically as distinct or perhaps MORE distinct than other Indian states?

Personally, I would say culturally speaking Pakistan is actually closer to the Hindi-speaking states (the Aryan and socio-political 'centre' of India) than a state like Tamil Nadu, Kerala or West Bengal would be, simply for the fact they speak Urdu, and while they are Islamic this is placed upon a substrate of Brahmic cultural history. The Indus valley civilisation in Pakistan is one of the most important streams of Indian civilisation. Bangladesh is, IMO, basically no different to a state like West Bengal aside from religion. Islam hasn't actually modified the cultural fabric of the nation all that much, it seems.

Last edited by Trimac20; 08-20-2012 at 09:05 PM..

Old 08-21-2012, 09:28 AM

27,545 posts, read 28,630,498 times
They're all Desi (for those who live abroad). So yes, they have a similar culture. To most people not from these countries, it's probably difficult to tell these nationalities apart.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 08-21-2012 at 09:40 AM..

Old 08-21-2012, 09:54 AM

696 posts, read 1,301,245 times
You are spot on. As a native Bangladeshi who grew up in Dhaka (the capital of Bangladesh) I can attest that we have more in common culturally, anthropologicaly, physically and spiritually with West Bengal/Indians than we have with Pakistan. Most Bangladeshis would identify themselves as a "Bengali" first and as "Muslim" later. This is not surprising given that we (West Bengal and Bangladesh) are all "Bengalis" and share the inherent cultural rituals, traditions, history etc., with some Bengali traditions being in sharp contrast to conservative Muslim practices/stipulations.

But it is true when living abroad (USA/Europe etc.) most usually get along well and there are no inherent hostilities or enmities (for most people anyway), at least in cultural identities and perceptions. I have close friends who are Indian and Pakistani and I get along with them (and they get along with each other) just as well as we would with anybody else of our respective countries.

By the way, in case you did not know, "desi" is the term that commonly refers to people of India/Bangladesh/Pakistan. "Des" means "country" in general but in this case the intended meaning is more like "native" and we refer to each other as "desis", which means anybody who is from "des" ... the "old-country" ....natives of Indian sub-continent -- brown skin people who like to eat curries, wear colorful outfits and watch Bollywood movies in large groups with friends and families !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Bangladesh is, IMO, basically no different to a state like West Bengal aside from religion. Islam hasn't actually modified the cultural fabric of the nation all that much, it seems.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:43 AM

508 posts, read 888,904 times
From my understanding India was on Bangladesh's side when it came to its War of Independence. However, that being said, has there ever been a credible pan-Bengali movement? One aimed at uniting India's "West Bengal" State with Bangladesh itself.

Separately, on "YouTube" a while back, I saw a very interesting show about "Partition" and how many in India wouldn't be opposed to undoing "Partition." What does everyone here think about this?

Old 08-22-2012, 06:42 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,024,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
In terms of their culture, society.etc, would you say Pakistan and Bangladesh are pretty much no different to Muslim India?

Before there were official international borders there was no Pakistan or Bangladesh. They were both part of British East India, Bangladesh being roughly the same as the Indian region/state of Bengal (so when you hear mention of 'Bengal' in old literature about India, you know it's in Bangladesh or West Bengal).

What I'm wondering is has the innate CULTURE of these two nations diverged at all since 1947, when they became east and west Pakistan (Bangladesh was actually not sovereign until 1971), or would you say that they are basically as distinct or perhaps MORE distinct than other Indian states?

Personally, I would say culturally speaking Pakistan is actually closer to the Hindi-speaking states (the Aryan and socio-political 'centre' of India) than a state like Tamil Nadu, Kerala or West Bengal would be, simply for the fact they speak Urdu, and while they are Islamic this is placed upon a substrate of Brahmic cultural history. The Indus valley civilisation in Pakistan is one of the most important streams of Indian civilisation. Bangladesh is, IMO, basically no different to a state like West Bengal aside from religion. Islam hasn't actually modified the cultural fabric of the nation all that much, it seems.
Sorry, as an Indian this seems a preposterous statement to me. That is like saying Ireland is the same culturally as England because they were 'partitioned' in 1920. Have you ever been to Pakistan? There is zero left of the 'Brahmic cultural history' left in Pakistan today. This is a country which practices Sharia law. Just because South Indian states speak languages other than Hindi doesn't mean they are that different from North Indian states. To anyone who lives in India, the politics, governmental practices, rail/air connectivity, economy and patriotic feelings unite all states. You must realize that India is not like Sudan where the different parts of the country bear grudges against each other and fight for independence for decades. I would argue that there is more to 'culture' than just the language. The folklore, religion (referring to Hinduism here), day-to-day life all contribute to culture. In this regard, Indian states (with the exception of Kashmir and maybe a couple of North-eastern states) are much closer to each other than to Pakistan.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:47 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,024,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTwila View Post
From my understanding India was on Bangladesh's side when it came to its War of Independence. However, that being said, has there ever been a credible pan-Bengali movement? One aimed at uniting India's "West Bengal" State with Bangladesh itself.

Separately, on "YouTube" a while back, I saw a very interesting show about "Partition" and how many in India wouldn't be opposed to undoing "Partition." What does everyone here think about this?
There isn't, nor is there likely to be in the near future.

As for 'undoing Partition', this is also never going to happen. This is like arguing that Ireland and UK should become a single country again. Do you realize there have been four wars fought between India and Pakistan since independence? Have you heard of the 2008 terrorist bombings in Mumbai? Where do you think the terrorists were trained?
2008 Mumbai attacks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you actually visit India (or Pakistan for that matter) you will realize that most people are opposed to the idea.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:42 AM

508 posts, read 888,904 times
Oh c'mon stop, of course I realize it. Look, I do think it's possible for Northern Ireland to join the Republic of Ireland. Pragmatically, it isn't likely any time soon. In some ways it's a moot point with the advent of the European Union. Provided the E.U., continues to survive as an entity.

About wars, they're fought all the time and yet today's enemies become tomorrow's friends. It's not only the story of mankind and humanity itself but even family or friends!

Old 05-16-2013, 09:59 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,545,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTwila View Post

Yeah right. Ask a Bengali Hindu what they think about uniting Bangladesh with West Bengal. As for undoing Partition....that is simple. Indians feel that is their land why was it partitioned to some foreigners in the first place. Pakistan and Bangladesh have always been a part of India....not Islam

Old 05-16-2013, 10:13 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
There isn't, nor is there likely to be in the near future.

As for 'undoing Partition', this is also never going to happen. This is like arguing that Ireland and UK should become a single country again. Do you realize there have been four wars fought between India and Pakistan since independence? Have you heard of the 2008 terrorist bombings in Mumbai? Where do you think the terrorists were trained?
2008 Mumbai attacks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you actually visit India (or Pakistan for that matter) you will realize that most people are opposed to the idea.
It's nothing like Ireland and the UK. Ireland was conquered by the UK, Pakistan and Bangladesh were historic parts of India, or what was culturally the Indosphere.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:22 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,464,653 times
I personally feel no affinity towards Pakistanis or Bangladeshis(not downing them, I just don't see them as kinsmen of any sort). In the end, partition was a good thing; otherwise 1/3 of India's population would be Muslims, and you'd have all the problems that go along with having a substantial Muslim minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia