Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 10:38 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,996,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
A lot of the pics that I posted above were from Cebu, so it's not just Manila. And it's especially prevalent in Badjaos, which is why it seems like the sun has something to do with it.

This is the first time I've seen a grown Filipino with some blonde or red, and they happen to be a Badjao, people who spend almost all their time in the sun

Badjao | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Badjao, Davao City | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All sizes | Badjao, spearfisher | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I think it may be a combination of underlying Australoid genes (the Negritos in the Philippines are also known to have these hair colors) and then the sun brings it out in many individuals.

I've been reading that the Hmongs originally came from Siberia (which is basically all of Asian Russia), so they probably had contact with Central Asians, where blonde hair is not uncommon.
badjaos count as ethnic minorities...and there are plenty of badjaos in cebu

again I have never seen blondeism in mainstream communities in my visit to visayas(i only have been to cebu briefly.....but in my 1 day there...I dont see blondeism amongst the people in the malls....)

though I have seen blondeism regularly amongst tagalogs....
negrid features and blondeism may actually point out that tagalogs are actually negritos with some austroneian admixture 25% at the highest

Old 12-19-2012, 10:56 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
badjaos count as ethnic minorities...and there are plenty of badjaos in cebu

again I have never seen blondeism in mainstream communities in my visit to visayas(i only have been to cebu briefly.....but in my 1 day there...I dont see blondeism amongst the people in the malls....)

though I have seen blondeism regularly amongst tagalogs....
negrid features and blondeism may actually point out that tagalogs are actually negritos with some austroneian admixture 25% at the highest
I had 5 pics of regular Visayan kids, and then there were 2 pics of Badjaos. You won't see any regular (middle class and up) Filipinos who have blonde hair unless they dyed it, or unless the happen to stay out in the sun all day, which is not something that most "regular" Filipinos do. And I've never seen Filipinos in the US with that kind of hair, I barely even see dyed blonde hair.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:01 AM

599 posts, read 2,592,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
A friend of mine in Russia is from a tribe that's related to the Koreans, and she has reddish-brown hair. She said she thinks it comes from Indo-Euro admixture thousands of years ago, when early Indo-Europeans nomads migrated into Asia and settled the Altai Mountains, Mongolia, northern China, and oasis towns of eastern China desert regions. Some archeologists in China as well as the West say those people migrated as far east as the Korean border. Genetic studies on Uighurs, Tibetan nomads and Kazakhs show about 50% Indo-Euro admixture.
Central asians have some hair color diversity because they are mixed with indo european populations, like the people in the -stan states for example. Now about east asians, you just need to visit china, korea, japan, taiwan, etc there is no hair color diversity at all, all you see is very thick black hair everywhere, and straight hair is present in the 90> % of cases.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:06 AM

599 posts, read 2,592,415 times
Quote:
I dunno. It's usually really poor kids, so I find it hard to believe that they're putting anything in their hair on purpose. But who know...

Here are some examples I found

All sizes | Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All sizes | Smokey mountain | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All sizes | DSC_4524 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All sizes | 20080315-IMG_7411 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

He's part of the Badjao "Sea Gypsy" ethnic group

All sizes | Badjao Kid in Siargao | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Also Badjao

All sizes | kids watching the Badjao work project3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All sizes | Cebu dump slum 087 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All sizes | Children of Carbon | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All sizes | PH288 soon he will be out from this slum | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

And all the instances of blond hair happened to be blocked, so I couldn't post the pics. But here are the links...
All sizes | Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | Ulingan Kids (8775) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | Super friends | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | sitio-baseco 094 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | sitio-baseco 075 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | Barangay Alaska, Cebu - A Sea Bajau Kid | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

And when I asked Filipinos why many children had red and blonde hair, they always mentioned that it was because of the sun, not hair dying.
Most of those arent really blonde but have some dark reddish/brownish highlights. Its obviousthe underneath hair being black in all the pictures. They probably got those highlights either from sunbleach or from being malnourished (I bet the majority of the cases). There are also tribes in africa who get lighter hair by washing it with pee from the cows.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:49 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
I dont know if your playing stupid or not...but most blonde hmongs are not canned blonde

and yes it may have to do with nutrient deficiency in Philippines....as the only place I have seen blondeism in the Philippines was in the slums of manila aka the poorest most malnourished people in the country...either it has to do with malnutrition amongst tagalogs and ethnic minorities...or it has to do with negrid elements in tagalogs..its a either or
Wow I wasn't aware that there were any blonde Hmong or East Asians for that matter, except some Mongolians. Maybe it's some populations, because I went to the highlands of Vietnam and did not see any blonde kids or adults, although as I mentioned I did see some brown haired children.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:30 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,996,072 times
Quote:
I had 5 pics of regular Visayan kids, and then there were 2 pics of Badjaos. You won't see any regular (middle class and up) Filipinos who have blonde hair unless they dyed it, or unless the happen to stay out in the sun all day, which is not something that most "regular" Filipinos do. And I've never seen Filipinos in the US with that kind of hair, I barely even see dyed blonde hair.
by regular people I meant lowerclass too

I dont know whats up with Cebu...maybe being a city it attracts ethnic minorities from throughout the area.....but blondeism is absent in other areas of visayas

I have seen blondeism on non-poor tagalog...so maybe tagalogs on a whole are just australian aboriginal descent like many of the other ethnic minorities in the country

Old 09-03-2013, 03:44 AM

2 posts, read 14,930 times
um, of course it's due to the lightening by the sun. first, the examples shared are definitely NOT BLONDE; it is so apparent by the dark brown below the top layer of hair. second, this is more common than is being said here. i'm filipino-american and i've spent many hours and days on end doing everything and anything under the sun, specifically surfing. this always happened to my hair in the summer, as a kid, and it happened to other filipinos that i grew up surfing with. now that i'm an adult and spend more time indoors (working in an office, etc) and no longer able to spend day after day just hanging out at the beach all day, my hair stays generally very dark brown. third, it's all about melanin; the sun causes the melanin to increase to darken skin (living cells) for protection from the sun. but our hair is dead and therefore there is no melanin to continue darkening hair. so intead, much like what the sun does to everything by fading their colors, the sun bleaches the hair to a lighter color ranging in tones from reddish/auburn browns to light ash, and this is determined based on the hair's undertones. "regular" filipinos will have naturally dark brown hair, some so dark they literally look black, but hold it up to the light and it's not black. red undertones usually come of this color. some (usually due to some euro ancestry) will have a cooler tone, which produces the tones ranging from medium brown to ash browns to blond. and yes, it will bleach hair sans lemon juice, sans bleach, sans peroxide

Old 09-03-2013, 03:52 AM

89 posts, read 202,622 times
i am an Asian girl. in my country, in order to pursue fashion and personality, many young girls curly and dye their straight and black hair and it is an rather fashionable tend in my country.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:41 AM

2 posts, read 14,930 times
Quote:
by regular people I meant lowerclass too

I dont know whats up with Cebu...maybe being a city it attracts ethnic minorities from throughout the area.....but blondeism is absent in other areas of visayas

I have seen blondeism on non-poor tagalog...so maybe tagalogs on a whole are just australian aboriginal descent like many of the other ethnic minorities in the country
well, first, "tagalogs" aren't people. tagalog is a language most concentrated as the main filipino language on the island of Luzon, with multiple dialects. it is used as a secondary language on other islands. the people are known as filipinos. and, anthropologically speaking, filipinos are NOT australian aborigine by descent, which, by your wording, suggest they came from a lineage of australian aborigines. but both aborigines and the negritos of the philippines are not one or the other but are part of a migrating ancient race of proto-australoids. current belief is that they settled on the sudan shelf and when rising sea levels at the end of the ice age took place, a migration continued - one north and one south. the negritos tribes inhabited the island for thousands of years before the mongoloids settled the island as well.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:42 AM

83 posts, read 206,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennersmom View Post
well, first, "tagalogs" aren't people. tagalog is a language most concentrated as the main filipino language on the island of Luzon, with multiple dialects. it is used as a secondary language on other islands. the people are known as filipinos. and, anthropologically speaking, filipinos are NOT australian aborigine by descent, which, by your wording, suggest they came from a lineage of australian aborigines. but both aborigines and the negritos of the philippines are not one or the other but are part of a migrating ancient race of proto-australoids. current belief is that they settled on the sudan shelf and when rising sea levels at the end of the ice age took place, a migration continued - one north and one south. the negritos tribes inhabited the island for thousands of years before the mongoloids settled the island as well.
I agree.

All human features including hair color come from the aboriginal populations that settled the planet. Therefore, blonde hair is not a "European" trait. It is just that populations in Europe have some of the highest incidences of this trait, but that doesn't mean that the trait itself originated among European populations. Therefore, blonde hair, brown or reddish hair is something found among many indigenous "aboriginal" Asian groups from Central Asia, India, South East Asia and the Pacific and has absolutely nothing to do with European genes. And when I say aboriginal, I don't mean negrito necessarily either because all aborigines don't just have curly hair, just like in India and Australia. The occurrence of any human feature is the result of genetic drift and natural selection which will cause certain traits to be turned on or off in the genetic code over time. Hence people as far as possible from Europe in the Pacific have blonde hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia