Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:56 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Well, if it is demolished...good for them...that place was an abomination!
Yeah it probably had to go, but actually by that stage crime had dropped dramatically there and a lot of people called the place home. It was a pretty unique place, I wish I'd had a chance to visit it while it was still around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 10:10 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,606,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yeah it probably had to go, but actually by that stage crime had dropped dramatically there and a lot of people called the place home. It was a pretty unique place, I wish I'd had a chance to visit it while it was still around.
same. i never got to see it. wish i had tho.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:47 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,531,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Wall St. Journal did a story on KWC recently....short documentary here...interesting. I'm glad i did visit there before it was gone.

https://screen.yahoo.com/wall-street...100802923.html

Old 04-06-2014, 05:41 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Wall St. Journal did a story on KWC recently....short documentary here...interesting. I'm glad i did visit there before it was gone.

https://screen.yahoo.com/wall-street...100802923.html
Thanks, yeah would've been fascinating.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:11 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,361,055 times
I loved taking the world's longest escalator.

I believe I saw on a Globe Trekker episode that people in Hong Kong like to go to horse races and of course bet on the horses.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:34 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I loved taking the world's longest escalator.

I believe I saw on a Globe Trekker episode that people in Hong Kong like to go to horse races and of course bet on the horses.
Indeed they do. Well they like to bet on anything lol.

Old 12-19-2019, 08:56 AM

1,136 posts, read 524,306 times
If you can read Chinese, you can do more in HK, such as going to places most foreigners don't go to because of inability to read Chinese. If you can speak Cantonese, you can do even more.

The city is only interesting to the curious visitors. It can be boring to a resident except the variety of food offered. Other than the places, worth checking out some unique cultures such as rudeness being common and acceptable, protestors burning the flags of their nationality and city, damaging shops and waiving flags of the US and UK, strangers sharing tables in restaurants, washing the bowls, spoons and chopsticks on the tables by the HK diners.

Old 12-23-2019, 07:09 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,958,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomboy- View Post
If you can read Chinese, you can do more in HK, such as going to places most foreigners don't go to because of inability to read Chinese. If you can speak Cantonese, you can do even more.

The city is only interesting to the curious visitors. It can be boring to a resident except the variety of food offered. Other than the places, worth checking out some unique cultures such as rudeness being common and acceptable, protestors burning the flags of their nationality and city, damaging shops and waiving flags of the US and UK, strangers sharing tables in restaurants, washing the bowls, spoons and chopsticks on the tables by the HK diners.
These days in Hong Kong, the standard of English is declining. I find that in places outside the main tourist spots, I cannot simply get around with only English. I have to speak Cantonese, read Chinese, to figure out what is going on.

You can stop peddling your myth that the protestors are somehow more violent than mobs in the U.S. or in Western Europe. I don't deny that there have been some violent protesters but by and large the violence is from the police. HK protestors are no worse than protestors in the West. In the U.S. there are flag burners and rioters who vanadalize coffee shops. Just look at Antifa.

As for Hong Kong people being more rude--I find that Hong Kongers are direct and can be rude, sure. Americans may seem nicer on the surface--but it's a facade. They can be just as, if not more, aggressive, irresponsible, and cold as Hong Kongers once you get to actually know the Americans better. Human nature is the same everywhere, but Americans are just better at masking it than Hong Kongers.

Old 12-23-2019, 07:27 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,438,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomboy- View Post
The city is only interesting to the curious visitors. It can be boring to a resident except the variety of food offered.
It is indeed quite boring. Idk why it's so popular amongst Westerners.

Old 12-23-2019, 07:47 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,305,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
It is indeed quite boring. Idk why it's so popular amongst Westerners.
I love Hong Kong and am never bored there. I love the harbour, going to the Peak, Lantau Island, the contrasts.
I do not find the people rude. Just efficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia