Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 06:45 PM

67 posts, read 138,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
I see. I thought he was saying that's the best you might get. I'm familiar with hostels. I stay at hostels all the time. I usually use hostelbookers.com. I've never heard of ChungKing, but I suppose you get a place there once you're in Hong Kong.
Yes, public housing is available although from what I hear it is not easy to apply, even for HK residents. The $300 rent is probably just for a bed space and no more. One of the hot controversies in HK right now has to do with inadequate living spaces (for people with sub-average income, that could very well mean living in a flat with 10 bunk beds or a living quarter further divided into tiny little rooms). They don't come cheaply, either.

I am uncertain about the visa requirement. However, given the ridiculously high cost of living in HK it is difficult to live comfortably without a well-paying job. Also, job growth and outlook seem to be strongest in sectors such as retail, hotel management, and financial services. A lot of college grads in HK have trouble landing jobs in fields such as engineering. People seem to have better luck if they have medical school or law school education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 02:44 AM

1,136 posts, read 524,306 times
People with above average income are not eligible. Public housing built after the 80s are good quality with enough space for a small family. Most people are not interested in studying engineering unlike other parts of Asia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmm_pieee View Post
Yes, public housing is available although from what I hear it is not easy to apply, even for HK residents. The $300 rent is probably just for a bed space and no more. One of the hot controversies in HK right now has to do with inadequate living spaces (for people with sub-average income, that could very well mean living in a flat with 10 bunk beds or a living quarter further divided into tiny little rooms). They don't come cheaply, either.

I am uncertain about the visa requirement. However, given the ridiculously high cost of living in HK it is difficult to live comfortably without a well-paying job. Also, job growth and outlook seem to be strongest in sectors such as retail, hotel management, and financial services. A lot of college grads in HK have trouble landing jobs in fields such as engineering. People seem to have better luck if they have medical school or law school education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia