Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 07:28 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,121,778 times

Advertisements

I'm more referring to Malaysian/Singaporean Indians, since workers from South Asia face discrimination for other reasons, but I've heard that there is still some racism against Indians in both Malaysian and Singapore from other races. I haven't really heard much of it in real life, but I've heard the occasionally disparaging remark about Indians being dirty or lazy. Their lower socio-economic situation also comes into play. I knew Indian Malaysians in school, and had one who was a good friend, although like me he'd migrated here with his family at a very young age. I'm just wondering if there's still widespread discrimination/or if many among the older generation might still look down upon Indians in Singapore and Malaysia?

Would you say in Singapore, for instance, the more English speaking Singaporeans get along better with their Indian compatriots? I mean in general most young people tend to mix well in Singapore in general (don't know as much about Malaysia) but I wonder if the older generation especially might still hold prejudicial views.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:52 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,594,368 times
I can only speak for what I've heard in Sinagpore, it seems in the older generations there is some racism and/or misunderstandings of even long-standing Indian communities, I know some older people (50+) who refuse to eat Indian food as they perceive it to be dirty (even when they have numerous Indian friends), and I've never heard the lazy stereotype.

Younger generations seem oblivious to these concerns. Since the 1960's schools and housing estates have been mostly multiracial which has broken down barriers.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
I can only speak for what I've heard in Sinagpore, it seems in the older generations there is some racism and/or misunderstandings of even long-standing Indian communities, I know some older people (50+) who refuse to eat Indian food as they perceive it to be dirty (even when they have numerous Indian friends), and I've never heard the lazy stereotype.

Younger generations seem oblivious to these concerns.
In Singapore? Weird. Hawker food is pretty sloppy to begin with, a plate of char kway teow or something might be perceived by a Westerner as 'dirty.' Indians are sometimes also said to be smelly/smell of curry. I have to admit that Indians do tend to emit more of a body odour than other groups, which isn't especially enjoyable on crowded public transport in equatorial Singapore.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:59 AM

I think it might have something to do with what Singapore was like in the 50's and 60's, when it was mostly racially segregated, poor etc and some of the older generation still can't get over it. Amongst young people I've never seen this concern with uncleanliness of Indian people or their food.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
I think it might have something to do with what Singapore was like in the 50's and 60's, when it was mostly racially segregated, poor etc and some of the older generation still can't get over it. Amongst young people I've never seen this concern with uncleanliness of Indian people or their food.
Food hygiene is much better in S'pore than in other parts of Asia like India or China. In China I saw noodles being stored outside and cats walking all over it! These were the noodles they were going to serve in the restaurant.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:45 AM

^LOL doesn't sound too surprising having been to China as well, poor hygiene is just a feature of poor countries in general I guess. The difference in hygiene between Johor Bahru just across the border and Singapore is also quite stark, JB sort of looks like how I imagine Singapore would have been 40 years ago.

It's a lot easier in general to get food poisoning in the tropics due to the climate and associated bugs, I had a very bad experience in Singapore after eating Mee Siam that was exposed to the air for just a few hours. Most locals are hardened to this type of thing it seems.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
^LOL doesn't sound too surprising having been to China as well, poor hygiene is just a feature of poor countries in general I guess. The difference in hygiene between Johor Bahru just across the border and Singapore is also quite stark, JB sort of looks like how I imagine Singapore would have been 40 years ago.

It's a lot easier in general to get food poisoning in the tropics due to the climate and associated bugs, I had a very bad experience in Singapore after eating Mee Siam that was exposed to the air for just a few hours. Most locals are hardened to this type of thing it seems.
I've eaten tons of food in several Asian countries, some of it street food that was cold with flies crawling all over it and never got any tummy upsets from it. Guess I've just been lucky.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:40 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,549,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
In Singapore? Weird. Hawker food is pretty sloppy to begin with, a plate of char kway teow or something might be perceived by a Westerner as 'dirty.' Indians are sometimes also said to be smelly/smell of curry. I have to admit that Indians do tend to emit more of a body odour than other groups, which isn't especially enjoyable on crowded public transport in equatorial Singapore.

Come on guy. That statement is so broad and general. There are 1.2 billion Indians. have you smelled each and everyone to come to your conclusion? These perceptions are culitivated by the media and haters. There are ppl in every single country on this planet that stink. Some do a better job at hiding it with perfumes, cologne, aktar, deodorant etc. while others use nothing more but soap and water. Your statement reflects some deep rooted issues.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Come on guy. That statement is so broad and general. There are 1.2 billion Indians. have you smelled each and everyone to come to your conclusion? These perceptions are culitivated by the media and haters. There are ppl in every single country on this planet that stink. Some do a better job at hiding it with perfumes, cologne, aktar, deodorant etc. while others use nothing more but soap and water. Your statement reflects some deep rooted issues.
Maybe it's just the ones that do smell really stand out, but it's happened enough times that I definitely notice a trend. It's un-PC but scientific but some groups have more sweat glands or more produce more sweat out of their glands than other groups.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:07 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,549,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Maybe it's just the ones that do smell really stand out, but it's happened enough times that I definitely notice a trend. It's un-PC but scientific but some groups have more sweat glands or more produce more sweat out of their glands than other groups.

Bull****. How can you tell the difference between a Bhutan, Burmese, Sri Lankan, Nepali, Pakistani, Maldivan, Bangaladeshi. etc? I can spew the same crap with your type but its stupid to lump up an group of ppl under that narrow prism. Its not about PC, it really about maligning a group of ppl. There are examples of this everywhere in society and it affects many groups. As for scientific knowledge, here you go

The "axillary organs", limited regions with equal numbers of apocrine and eccrine sweat glands, only exist in humans, gorillas, and chimpanzees. In humans, the apocrine glands in this region are the most developed (with the most complex glomeruli). Men have fewer apocrine sweat glands than women in all axillary regions.
East Asians have fewer such glands than Europeans and people of African descent, which decreases their susceptibility to body odor. Individuals of African ancestry have the largest and most active apocrine glands. Racial differences also exist in the cerumen glands: apocrine sweat glands which produce earwax. East Asians have predominantly dry earwax, as opposed to sticky; the gene encoding for this is strongly linked to reduced body odor, whereas those with wet, sticky earwax (Europeans and Africans) are prone to more body odor

Spewing BS as it if were facts lacks credibility on your part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia