Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 03:52 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times

Advertisements

I'll be arriving in September of 2014 to Singapore and I'll be there in Asia to stay forever.

I've finalized on my plans, just have some work to take care of here but Singapore here I come and after that, then it's anyones guess: Seoul, Osaka, Nagoya, Tokyo, Bangkok, Tel-Aviv, Mumbai, Bangalore, Pune, Kuala Lumpur, Shenzhen, Taipei, Shanghai, Busan, anywhere in Asia really.

I'm appreciative to a new chapter in my life and my father in Singapore will be a great guide to my adjustment in Asia.

Here's to what I hope will be a safe and easy transition next year, seems far away but time will fly by fast. I wanted to share because I inquired about this a few months ago when I was still contemplating and many of you were very helpful (especially you Tiger Beer, Trimac20, and kyh) in giving me information and insight. Over the last month I've given it a lot of thought as I'm at a crossroads in life of where to go from here and I've finally settled on an option.

I have a few more questions but I'll ask them when I can remember them all to compile in one post.

Thanks to all of you for your help, I'm very appreciative.

In the mean time, has anyone else here moved around in Asia from one city to another and how was your experience adjusting and are you liking it? I'm fascinated with the entire continent and I'd love to hear some tales about your transitions or even moves in the past. It would be stellar sharing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 05:05 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Hey mate, glad to hear you've finally made the decision. You must be really excited about it. What kind of work do you think you'll be doing in Singapore? Good luck with the moving process.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:12 AM

9 posts, read 13,382 times
Congratulations. I love Singapore!

Old 04-12-2013, 11:17 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Hey mate, glad to hear you've finally made the decision. You must be really excited about it. What kind of work do you think you'll be doing in Singapore? Good luck with the moving process.
IT. So happy they have a large tech network there, especially in functional and technical fields.

Thanks man.

It's going to be a real experience, that's for sure. I am indeed incredibly excited, even more so than I can appear to be on this forum and for several reasons. Most of all though, it'll be exciting to be in a more of my style of place than America.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:29 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
IT. So happy they have a large tech network there, especially in functional and technical fields.

Thanks man.

It's going to be a real experience, that's for sure. I am indeed incredibly excited, even more so than I can appear to be on this forum and for several reasons. Most of all though, it'll be exciting to be in a more of my style of place than America.
Of course living there will be different to visiting, but from your likes/interests I think you'll enjoy Singapore. I hope they don't work you too hard though!

Old 04-14-2013, 09:40 AM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,268,574 times
Glad you've made your decisions. Welcome to Singapore!

Old 04-18-2013, 07:15 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Lyoko View Post

Thanks man.

Congrats. What's your style of a place like?

Old 04-18-2013, 07:17 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,662 times
What are the ways to migrate to Singapore? (Excluding business immigration)Do they offer any form of skilled migration for workers/professionals?

Old 04-18-2013, 11:57 AM

166 posts, read 278,435 times
Congrats OP! I don't know you personally, but you express very similar sentiments to what I had back when I first left for China so I feel quite positive you're going to have an unforgettably good experience!

I couldn't find a job after graduating (with honors too! from a top school) so I reluctantly accepted an english teaching position in Shenzhen. Stayed nearly 2 years because I loved it so much.

Got to travel in and out of the country a lot and when my contract was up, I spent some time living in or visiting other Asian countries like: SZ, HK, Seoul, Daegu, Ulsan, Tokyo, Fukuoka, Singapore, Shanghai, Xi'an, Guilin, Hanoi, HCMC, Bangkok, Phuket, Ko Samui, Boracay, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore. Of those, I've lived in (at least 1 month): Shenzhen, Daegu, Phuket/Ko Samui. And I'll be returning to Korea this August to live permanently!

• Most relaxing spot I've been to: Fukuoka, Japan
  • Least relaxing spot: Bangkok
  • Most expensive: Tokyo
  • Least expensive: Xi'an, China
  • Most exciting nightlife: Seoul/Tokyo/Bangkok
  • Least exciting: Singapore (it's been getting better!)
  • Best food: HCMC
  • Best beach: Boracay
  • Worst pollution: Shenzhen (terrible)
  • Most breath-taking scenery: Guilin, China (they shot Crouching Tiger scenes here)
  • Most like a Western country: Singapore
  • Cheapest medical care: Bangkok
  • Best medical care: Seoul
  • Most overrated: Phuket (tourists keep trashing their beautiful beaches!)
  • Most underrated: Hanoi, Vietnam
  • Fastest internet: anywhere in Korea
  • Most liberal "anything-goes" city: Bangkok (you just can't insult/slander the crown)
  • Safest place to raise a family: Singapore
  • Most crowded: HK
  • Most likely place to meet other expats: Singapore
  • Least likely: Kuala Lumpur

Old 04-19-2013, 09:19 AM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,268,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomadwood86 View Post
Congrats OP! I don't know you personally, but you express very similar sentiments to what I had back when I first left for China so I feel quite positive you're going to have an unforgettably good experience!

I couldn't find a job after graduating (with honors too! from a top school) so I reluctantly accepted an english teaching position in Shenzhen. Stayed nearly 2 years because I loved it so much.

Got to travel in and out of the country a lot and when my contract was up, I spent some time living in or visiting other Asian countries like: SZ, HK, Seoul, Daegu, Ulsan, Tokyo, Fukuoka, Singapore, Shanghai, Xi'an, Guilin, Hanoi, HCMC, Bangkok, Phuket, Ko Samui, Boracay, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore. Of those, I've lived in (at least 1 month): Shenzhen, Daegu, Phuket/Ko Samui. And I'll be returning to Korea this August to live permanently!

• Most relaxing spot I've been to: Fukuoka, Japan
  • Least relaxing spot: Bangkok
  • Most expensive: Tokyo
  • Least expensive: Xi'an, China
  • Most exciting nightlife: Seoul/Tokyo/Bangkok
  • Least exciting: Singapore (it's been getting better!)
  • Best food: HCMC
  • Best beach: Boracay
  • Worst pollution: Shenzhen (terrible)
  • Most breath-taking scenery: Guilin, China (they shot Crouching Tiger scenes here)
  • Most like a Western country: Singapore
  • Cheapest medical care: Bangkok
  • Best medical care: Seoul
  • Most overrated: Phuket (tourists keep trashing their beautiful beaches!)
  • Most underrated: Hanoi, Vietnam
  • Fastest internet: anywhere in Korea
  • Most liberal "anything-goes" city: Bangkok (you just can't insult/slander the crown)
  • Safest place to raise a family: Singapore
  • Most crowded: HK
  • Most likely place to meet other expats: Singapore
  • Least likely: Kuala Lumpur
Huh? KL's expats live mainly in the affluent Bangsar suburb as well as some other neighbouring areas. I don't think it's "least likely" to meet one, but of course not on the same levels as Singapore, HK, or Tokyo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia