Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city in Asia?
Beijing, China 1 2.50%
Shanghai, China 0 0%
Hong Kong, Hong Kong 11 27.50%
Macao, Macao 0 0%
New Delhi, India 1 2.50%
Mumbai, India 0 0%
Singapore, Singapore 2 5.00%
Jakarta, Indonesia 1 2.50%
Manila, Philippines 2 5.00%
Tokyo, Japan 10 25.00%
Seoul, South Korea 0 0%
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 1 2.50%
Guangzhou, China 0 0%
Taipei, Taiwan 1 2.50%
Ulan Bator, Mongolia 0 0%
Bangkok, Thailand 8 20.00%
Hanoi, Vietnam 2 5.00%
Pyongyang, North Korea (no, seriously!) 0 0%
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam 0 0%
Busan, South Korea 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 01:40 PM

56 posts, read 119,033 times

Advertisements

Tokyo is the best if you have money to waste.
And Pattaya, Thailand is the best for single man with limited budget.
And Ubud, Bali is the best if you looking to buy art.
When I visit city, my most important visit is to local bookstore and Tokyo beats everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 02:07 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,937,370 times
I have been to nearly every city on the list (haven't been to Ulan Bator yet).

For me, the BEST of the BEST:

Krung Thep City, "The City of Angels," ...

BANGKOK !!!!!!

Old 05-13-2013, 09:59 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
I can't pick one overall best city. I could choose one for each category, though.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:40 PM

21 posts, read 61,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Only been to Tokyo, Bangkok and Singapore from these cities.
I don't count my layovers in Kuala Lumpur.

Living:

1.Bangkok

6.Manila

12.Guangzhou

13.Kuala Lumpur
You should have left the airport in KL. I recently spent a few weeks in GZ and BKK, and KL wins hands down as a city. Cleaner, diverse, easy to navigate. The cultural diversity of KL alone makes it a top destination in Asia IMO. Malays, Chinese, Indians, Arabs. A real spice trade type city. BKK suffers from poor city planning.

Cant see why BKK would be your number one unless you go for the nightlife.

HK and KL are very livable cities. But no way can BKK ever beat HK for living OR visiting.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landgabriel View Post
You should have left the airport in KL. I recently spent a few weeks in GZ and BKK, and KL wins hands down as a city. Cleaner, diverse, easy to navigate. The cultural diversity of KL alone makes it a top destination in Asia IMO. Malays, Chinese, Indians, Arabs. A real spice trade type city. BKK suffers from poor city planning.

Cant see why BKK would be your number one unless you go for the nightlife.

HK and KL are very livable cities. But no way can BKK ever beat HK for living OR visiting.
BKK is a love it or loathe it type city.

Personally I don't really like the city, but I like a lot of things that are in the city, like the markets and the street-food and some of the architecture. I'm not a fan of most of the nightlife, especially the bars full of tourists, although I will admit I did enjoy the massages.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:10 AM

10,640 posts, read 16,023,053 times
Quote:
1.You should have left the airport in KL. I recently spent a few weeks in GZ and BKK, and KL wins hands down as a city. Cleaner, diverse, easy to navigate. The cultural diversity of KL alone makes it a top destination in Asia IMO. Malays, Chinese, Indians, Arabs. A real spice trade type city. BKK suffers from poor city planning.

2.Cant see why BKK would be your number one unless you go for the nightlife.

3.HK and KL are very livable cities. But no way can BKK ever beat HK for living OR visiting.
1.Yeah but i rather live in a city close to Hong Kong than in the middle of a Muslim country, no disrespect.

2.My girlfriend is Thai, been together for 15 months now, currently she's staying with me in the Netherlands for 3 months, next month we go back to Thailand to get MVV so she can stay a longer period and get a job here.

3.If you know (the right) people there it can beat any other city on planet earth NOT- NYC.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
BKK is a love it or loathe it type city.

Personally I don't really like the city, but I like a lot of things that are in the city, like the markets and the street-food and some of the architecture. I'm not a fan of most of the nightlife, especially the bars full of tourists, although I will admit I did enjoy the massages.
I too enjoy the massages, and the markets are great. It's mainly the incessant traffic and dirtiness that get to me, the city infrastructure, esp. compared to KL or HK.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
1.Yeah but i rather live in a city close to Hong Kong than in the middle of a Muslim country, no disrespect.

2.My girlfriend is Thai, been together for 15 months now, currently she's staying with me in the Netherlands for 3 months, next month we go back to Thailand to get MVV so she can stay a longer period and get a job here.

3.If you know (the right) people there it can beat any other city on planet earth NOT- NYC.
Well there are benefits to a Muslim country IMO. I don't like drinking and bar culture. And the Asian version of Islam is very relaxed.

I think KL is a more diverse city than BKK but I'm not sure, and not that much farther from HK than BKK.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Well there are benefits to a Muslim country IMO. I don't like drinking and bar culture. And the Asian version of Islam is very relaxed.

I think KL is a more diverse city than BKK but I'm not sure, and not that much farther from HK than BKK.
KL is of course more multicultural than BKK. It feels less overwhelmed by tourists but it gets a decent share. I find KL a more relaxing place cos you aren't hassled all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia