Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is China's 4th city?
Shenzhen 4 26.67%
Chengdu 2 13.33%
Chongqing 8 53.33%
Tianjin 1 6.67%
Nanjing 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 02:01 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times

Advertisements

What would you consider China's 'fifth' city? Consider not only population, GDP, but also cultural influence, transportation links, regional prominence.

I would say the first four are Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong and Guangzhou.

I think one could make an argument for Shenzhen (economic importance), Chengdu, Chongqing (largest city municipality on earth in area/population), Tianjin (a SEZ) and the old capital of Nanjing.

If it's not clear-cut, which do you think should be promoted as the 5th city. I think it should be Chongqing, as the top 4 cities are coastal or near coastal (Beijing) and China needs a major megapolis deep in it's hinterland.

note: i made a mistake in the poll title, 5th not 4th

Old 05-27-2013, 06:29 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,504 times
What films were shot in Chongqing?

Old 05-27-2013, 07:22 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,547,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I would say the first four are Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong and Guangzhou.

I think one could make an argument for Shenzhen (economic importance), Chengdu, Chongqing (largest city municipality on earth in area/population), Tianjin (a SEZ) and the old capital of Nanjing.
Beijing, Tianjin, Shanghai and Chongqing are centrally-administered province-level regions, and they do not belong to any particular province. Hong Kong is obviously a special administrative zone.

So I would rank Tianjin and Chongqing over Guangzhou. I really think that Guangzhou is important only because Hong Kong is more important.

You would have considerable debate over the 5th city in the USA. The first four New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, and Washington DC would barely be questioned. But the 5th city would be a battle between Atlanta, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Boston, Dallas, and Houston.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:51 AM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,189 times
Chongqing. Tianjin is too close to Beijing to escape its pull. Same with Nanjing to Shanghai.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:43 PM

43,646 posts, read 44,368,561 times
Shenzhen is close to Hong Kong and therefore effected by Hong Kong. BTW, would Hong Kong qualify as the 5th Chinese city even though it has its own international border?

Old 05-27-2013, 07:00 PM

588 posts, read 796,155 times
I have visited each of the contender cities and I have to agree with the consensus that Chongqing should be considered China's 5th city. It has long passed Chengdu as the leader of west-central China economically and as someone else mentioned, politically as well. Chongqing also has the 'wow' factor.

However, because of the summer weather, I would prefer to live in Chengdu.

In regard to the list of contenders, I really think that Wuhan also should be on the list. It it also huge like Chongqing.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Shenzhen is close to Hong Kong and therefore effected by Hong Kong. BTW, would Hong Kong qualify as the 5th Chinese city even though it has its own international border?
Because China has control of Hong Kong and most urban people from the mainland can now visit Hong Kong, I think that it qualifies.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:04 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
I have visited each of the contender cities and I have to agree with the consensus that Chongqing should be considered China's 5th city. It has long passed Chengdu as the leader of west-central China economically and as someone else mentioned, politically as well. Chongqing also has the 'wow' factor.

However, because of the summer weather, I would prefer to live in Chengdu.

In regard to the list of contenders, I really think that Wuhan also should be on the list. It it also huge like Chongqing.
I agree with you regarding Chengdu. It is a great, great place. Chongqing has its charms, too. Better 酸辣粉, for one thing.

You've lost me with Wuhan, however. No character, whatsoever.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
I agree with you regarding Chengdu. It is a great, great place. Chongqing has its charms, too. Better 酸辣粉, for one thing.

You've lost me with Wuhan, however. No character, whatsoever.
In my eyes, Wuhan's character are based on being divided by an incredibly wide area of the Changjiang (Yangtze) River. It is the only city that I know of in China that has thee distinct local languages due to three cities that were officially joined together 70 years ago. Even with the modern bridges connecting the three and the ferries going back and forth, they still seem more like three cities to me.

That said, I don't mean to imply that Wuhan is full of character. I just think it belongs with the list of other cities because it is very large, is an economic center, and has quite a bit of historical significance. It does have the Yellow Crane Tower.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:35 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,181,569 times
I'm attracted to Chongqing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia