Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can Seoul match Tokyo and Hong Kong as a Travel Destination?
Yes 43 55.84%
No 34 44.16%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2022, 12:07 AM

8,873 posts, read 8,464,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRamon View Post
I've noticed island Chinese, like HKers and Taiwanese, love to trash talk Korea. Cope harder.
Island Chinese? Really?

We don't trash talk Korea. We don't even think about Korea. Cope harder.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2022, 11:30 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 19 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,932,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Not sure where you're getting that Seoul isn't that interesting of a place. I've heard this before but having spent a lot of time there, I disagree. It's not just K-Pop and cafes. There are tons of things such as museums, amusement parks, mountain hikes (within the city), shopping, dining, entertainment, historical temples and monuments, cutting edge technology, etc. Sure, it is a rather monolithic culture, but the same is true for Tokyo. You really have to go somewhere like London or New York to have a truly diverse, wealthy megacity.

Aside from the lack of diversity, I'll say that Seoul rivals NYC in terms of things to see and do. I've spent some time in Tokyo as well and very much enjoyed it. However, I'd say that Seoul and Tokyo are more similar than different to me. Tokyo probably has a little more just given that it's a megacity of 40 million vs 26 million for Seoul. However, you're not going to get bored in either city.
There are also Pagodas. Skyline, even Europe buildings. Seoul probably got them from Russia Siberia in relatively close proximity. First World, Developed, Foreign Exotic While Westernized.

Cafes, K-Pop are some of the best top rank fun factors of Seoul. Love to return back 2nd visit. Or even live over there.

Out of Hong Kong China, Tokyo Japan, Seoul South Korea, Seoul wins! Although, the others are of course solid equal amount must visit!

Last edited by ; 05-08-2022 at 12:12 PM..

Old 05-10-2022, 05:59 PM

6,573 posts, read 12,081,415 times
I'd say yes, especially with the growing popularity of K-pop culture.

Old 05-23-2022, 05:12 AM

Don't see how Seoul is ever boring. There is a lot for Natives, and Foreign Tourists:

Gyeongbokgung Palace

Heunginjimun

Sunglyemun
*(The first three are various Green Gold Buddhist Temple Pagoda Landmarks)

Myongdong Cathedral

Old Seoul Central Train Station

Namsan Tower

Vast Long Length 1 Train Line Beginning To Final Above The Ground! Please Ride! What A Scenic Ride!

Korea Life Building Hanwha 63 City 63 Building

Lotte World Tower

Namdaemun Market

Gangnam
Hongkik University
Anguk
Cheongdam
Jamsil
Gangnam-Gu Office
Jongno-5
Jeungmi
Seollung
Dongdaemun
Noksapyeong
All 302 Subway Stations in Seoul Metro on 22 various separate lines. Other than those first 11 Neighborhood Districts in my visit.

Ah, Seoulism Sky Bar Coffeehouse with giant Brown Chandeliers on 7th floor with rooftop deck.
(Other than 20 to 30 other Independent friendly Cafes, Bars, Restaurants that I went in. Rather stay specific for other sites only right now.)

Luxury 4 to 5 Star Hotel Riveria $79 USD per night, Mid Range 3 Star Hotel Benikea Only $27 To $29 USD, and Kimchee Guesthouse Hongdae Hostel $5 To $7 USD! Every 24 hours. Exactly Equal Preference.

15/5's Fahrenheit possible Mid Winter, but still an Early Spring, Long Summer. Late Autumn, And Short Winter. The Right 4 Seasons.

I am sure Tokyo Japan, Hong Kong China offer sound valid competition that isn't any less or further than Seoul South Korea. All unique Asian mega cities that won't ever disappoint.

Old 05-23-2022, 05:16 AM

After three months in Seoul South Korea, literally didn't find any Malls!? Haven't even entered one that really counts. Can be rare to unheard of for an Asian city. Does anyone know of any Malls in this city? I am sure Hong Kong has a much higher amount of them.

Malls aren't sterile if expressed correctly. Fortunately, the exact ultra convenience factor is still around. Alive and well in Seoul Korea. Affordable materialistic goods. Relative to wages/income/salary. Tokyo Japan, Hong Kong China I bet are more expensive stressful to average consumers.

Old 01-15-2024, 03:18 PM

3 posts, read 898 times
It's true that Seoul has a different vibe when it comes to shopping compared to places like Tokyo or Hong Kong.

Old 01-15-2024, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 327 times
I understand that the thread is a bit older, but I can still provide some insights. Over the past couple of years, Seoul's shopping scene has continued to evolve. While malls might not have been as prevalent back then, some new shopping centers and developments have likely emerged.td {border: 1px solid #cccccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}

Old 01-15-2024, 04:56 PM

6,573 posts, read 12,081,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
After three months in Seoul South Korea, literally didn't find any Malls!? Haven't even entered one that really counts. Can be rare to unheard of for an Asian city. Does anyone know of any Malls in this city? I am sure Hong Kong has a much higher amount of them.

Malls aren't sterile if expressed correctly. Fortunately, the exact ultra convenience factor is still around. Alive and well in Seoul Korea. Affordable materialistic goods. Relative to wages/income/salary. Tokyo Japan, Hong Kong China I bet are more expensive stressful to average consumers.
A little late but one I remember is the COEX Mall, if that counts.

Old 01-17-2024, 06:34 AM

3 posts, read 898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaMunoz View Post
I understand that the thread is a bit older, but I can still provide some insights. Over the past couple of years, Seoul's shopping scene has continued to evolve. While malls might not have been as prevalent back then, some new shopping centers and developments have likely emerged.}
Places like 신촌셔츠룸 could have gained popularity, offering unique experiences. It's always a good idea to check the latest updates and recommendations from local residents or recent travelers for the most current insights on Seoul's shopping scene. Seoul has its own charm, and exploring it can be a rewarding experience, especially if you're looking for affordable materialistic goods.

Old 01-17-2024, 10:05 AM

30,494 posts, read 19,255,042 times
I think yes to Hong Kong and no to Tokyo. I worked 8 months in Seoul and learned to like and respect S. Korea but I don't think it matches Tokyo or mainland China as a travel destination. If you want a modern, safe city with great restaurants and shopping then Seoul is a match for anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia