Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can Seoul match Tokyo and Hong Kong as a Travel Destination?
Yes 43 55.84%
No 34 44.16%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 11:19 AM

1,204 posts, read 793,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
After three months in Seoul South Korea, literally didn't find any Malls!? Haven't even entered one that really counts. Can be rare to unheard of for an Asian city. Does anyone know of any Malls in this city? I am sure Hong Kong has a much higher amount of them.

Malls aren't sterile if expressed correctly. Fortunately, the exact ultra convenience factor is still around. Alive and well in Seoul Korea. Affordable materialistic goods. Relative to wages/income/salary. Tokyo Japan, Hong Kong China I bet are more expensive stressful to average consumers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
A little late but one I remember is the COEX Mall, if that counts.
Umm...DOOTA, Migilore, and Hyundai City at Dongdaemun? Time Square in Yeongdeungpo? IFC Mall in Yeouido? Those just from the top of my head in touristy area.

HK of course has way more malls - people have use those as a place to enjoy some AC since forever lol. HK is literally 10 months of summer and 2 months of not summer .

But yes, when it comes to shopping, Seoul seems to have a LOT more cheap fashion that are VERY popular with younger female in East Asia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2024, 02:54 AM

33 posts, read 20,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacharyWilson View Post
Places like 신촌셔츠룸 could have gained popularity, offering unique experiences. It's always a good idea to check the latest updates and recommendations from local residents or recent travelers for the most current insights on Seoul's shopping scene. Seoul has its own charm, and exploring it can be a rewarding experience, especially if you're looking for affordable materialistic goods.
Thanks for those shopping suggestions in Seoul. Checking out 신촌셔츠룸 and getting local recommendations is a great idea. I looked up other areas on https://gowithguide.com/blog/seoul-t...ate-guide-5535 and it looks like Seoul is really growing as a tourism destination. The article mentions international visitor numbers increasing almost 10% each year recently. Pretty cool how exploring unique neighborhoods like that one can give you a more authentic experience beyond just the big malls.

Old 03-07-2024, 03:31 PM

3,198 posts, read 1,665,647 times
It's all different vibe both many similarities due to difference in language and culture. But HK is better for Americans than Seoul for sure, since many English speakers and a lot of European and American businesses there. I can't say they are the same, they are all different and special in their own ways.

Old 03-07-2024, 08:34 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
Hong Kong is dead as a travel destination now. Actually it’s dead as a destination for anything.

Old 03-08-2024, 08:08 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,419,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Hong Kong is dead as a travel destination now. Actually it’s dead as a destination for anything.
I flew through there for the first time in 2017..my thoughts were similar...seemed like somebody pooped the party.
I arrived in the morning, with high expectations, and was kind of disappointed. Cathay was A+. Better than Beijing, but not as nice as Narita..or Seoul.

Old 03-20-2024, 05:55 AM

3,662 posts, read 2,943,593 times
Quote:

Everyone I know says Guangzhou and Shenzhen has passed up HK for being more to see as a visitor now. However most people in America don't know they exist.

Old 03-20-2024, 06:09 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Everyone I know says Guangzhou and Shenzhen has passed up HK for being more to see as a visitor now. However most people in America don't know they exist.
Idk what is there to see in Guangzhou and Shenzhen, and China as a whole has like almost no international tourists these days thanks to its wonderful government.

Old 03-20-2024, 06:25 AM

3,662 posts, read 2,943,593 times
Quote:
Idk what is there to see in Guangzhou and Shenzhen, and China as a whole has like almost no international tourists these days thanks to its wonderful government.
For me it was going to the migrant neighborhoods in Guangzhou and Shenzhen. As someone from America the last thing I want to see is upscale shopping malls with 5 levels. The migrant neighborhoods feels like I went back in time and to another universal from the decades in sterile America where every other store is chain stores.

Personally when I go back to Asia, I avoid the modern stuff and say to my hosts or guides take me to the poorer old areas.

Old 04-01-2024, 02:40 PM

37,132 posts, read 39,380,764 times
I think a Pearl River Delta trip that encompasses Macau, Hong Kong, Shenzhen, and Guangzhou is a fantastic trip. I don't like the PRC government at all. I can understand morally abstaining from such, though doing so from Macau and Hong Kong has its own issues since you'd supposedly want to help support businesses of pro-democracy natives there, but it doesn't change the fact that there's quite a lot to see in all these places and have interesting points of contrast among them. I do think it'd help to pick up some conversational Cantonese first alongside Mandarin Chinese before going though.

Old 04-01-2024, 09:49 PM

3,527 posts, read 2,321,970 times
Objectively? Yeah... they're all Mega cities. You'd be hard pressed to get bored in any of them.

Subjectively? Seoul has lapped Hong Kong already as the Chinese government has largely stunted it's global mass appeal. Tokyo is a whole different animal because of its cultural clout and international prestige and the caveats that come with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia