Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 09:08 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,633,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes, the page said that many boys and young men do it for various reasons. I have heard it's very painful...I wonder if it still hurts during local anaesthetic, but a lot of the pain comes afterwards when it wears off.
It would depend. If a topical numbing salve is applied first, then the needle for the local anaesthetic shouldn't be directly painful when the injection is administered. But any way you look at it, having your junk going numb on you couldn't be all that comfortable either. I remember seeing a documentary of kids (most around the age of puberty) from certain tribes in Africa go through that as a so-called initiation rite into manhood. They apply some kind of salve on a leaf then wrap the leaf arund the kids' tallywhacker to numb it up. No locals given. Once the cutting began, most of the kids began screaming and crying in pain. When the deed was done the kids were sent home to their parents or grandparents to recover. I guess the idea is if you're tough enough to have your ding-dong sliced on, then that's the sign of a real man who's tough as nails. Unfortunately, the poor kid's nail is going to be pretty painful for a while.

Quote:
Interesting, never heard of Buddhist monks getting circumcised, but it right be related to their vow of chastity. I know most monks are supposed to remain celibate, but I've heard quite a few still indulge in sex with women.
I was surprised too even though I'm aware of even stranger things over there. I'm pretty sure that isn't typical as a standard practice for monkhood in mainstream Buddhism there. It may be guised as chastity, but it's pretty much just BS in my opinion. Other religions in the west and elsewhere also have a few off-the-wall groups. You should see how magical body tattoos are given, which are also administered by certain monks to ordinary people. No numbing up for that.

Quote:
Yes, naked children are a common sight in Asia. In China babies and toddlers have these special pants that are bare-bottomed, so they can just defecate anywhere, which is pretty gross, do they have that in Thailand too?
It happens, but no bare-bottomed pants. When a doody hits the ground or floor, the moms are right there to clean it up especially if it happens in the house. It isn't especially any more gross than a dog hunched over to crank out a loaf on the ground. It's pretty common out in the villages and rural areas. In the cities, it seems more of the middle and upper class people in the 'burbs tend to garb their toddlers with disposable diapers. Even out in the sticks there are people using disposable diapers for their kids, although the problem is in how some dispose of the full diapers. It depends on the location.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
That is, indeed, when the real pain begins. I speak from personal experience.
Sounds like you know exactly what it's like. It's not like having a tooth pulled out.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:15 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,793,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
It would depend. If a topical numbing salve is applied first, then the needle for the local anaesthetic shouldn't be directly painful when the injection is administered. But any way you look at it, having your junk going numb on you couldn't be all that comfortable either. I remember seeing a documentary of kids (most around the age of puberty) from certain tribes in Africa go through that as a so-called initiation rite into manhood. They apply some kind of salve on a leaf then wrap the leaf arund the kids' tallywhacker to numb it up. No locals given. Once the cutting began, most of the kids began screaming and crying in pain. When the deed was done the kids were sent home to their parents or grandparents to recover. I guess the idea is if you're tough enough to have your ding-dong sliced on, then that's the sign of a real man who's tough as nails. Unfortunately, the poor kid's nail is going to be pretty painful for a while.

I was surprised too even though I'm aware of even stranger things over there. I'm pretty sure that isn't typical as a standard practice for monkhood in mainstream Buddhism there. It may be guised as chastity, but it's pretty much just BS in my opinion. Other religions in the west and elsewhere also have a few off-the-wall groups. You should see how magical body tattoos are given, which are also administered by certain monks to ordinary people. No numbing up for that.

It happens, but no bare-bottomed pants. When a doody hits the ground or floor, the moms are right there to clean it up especially if it happens in the house. It isn't especially any more gross than a dog hunched over to crank out a loaf on the ground. It's pretty common out in the villages and rural areas. In the cities, it seems more of the middle and upper class people in the 'burbs tend to garb their toddlers with disposable diapers. Even out in the sticks there are people using disposable diapers for their kids, although the problem is in how some dispose of the full diapers. It depends on the location.
Yes it's silly...in the Philippines teenagers who are not circumcised are seen as cowardly and not 'man enough' to go through the procedure.

No, it's not typical in Buddhism or in South-East Asia except Muslim countries.

Don't they toilet train their kids? I mean outside is one thing, but in the house? Yeah disposable diapers, I mean they're less gross I suppose but they're not as environmentally friendly.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Don't they toilet train their kids? I mean outside is one thing, but in the house? Yeah disposable diapers, I mean they're less gross I suppose but they're not as environmentally friendly.
Sure, kids get toilet-trained and learn what to do in the course of time. There can be an art to learn to do it successfully. Out in the boonies though, there aren't always indoor toilets. For those that do have indoor toilets, they're often the low Asian porcelain squat-pot style with a barrel of water and a shallow plastic bowl which is used for pouring water across your bum to clean it. Sometimes it means you've got to use your hands Star Trek style to circle Uranus and pick off the Klingons. I hate squat-pots. You've got to take your pants completely off and hang them on a nail or hook so you can squat to do your duty. Otherwise, you run the risk of having things in your pockets like your keys, change, wallet, etc., fall into the bowl and having to fish them all out. For me, the big hassle is just trying to keep balanced on those. I'd rather not have to do fancy acrobatics like that. If I've got to get the job done, I'd rather do it in reasonable comfort. It's usually easier for women because they can just hoist up their skirts and they're ready for business. Toilet paper is often used though, but there's usually a basket in the loo to dispose of the used tp in order to prevent clogging up the drain line from the squat-pot. Needless to say, the baskets attract flies from all over, not to mention add that certain unpleasant fragrance in the air that seems to linger in your nostrils for hours afterward. You use said water bowl to briskly pour water in the squat-pot to push the mess down the drain line. Some folks do have a sit down western style toilet, but it's the same thing when it comes to flushing. It's still the old scoop water with the water bowl and slosh in into the toilet trick to shove the mess into the drain line.

Some of the older stilt-type homes have a private indoor room for bathing, etc. The stilt design was to keep the house high and dry when the rice fields flooded during the rainy season to irrigate the fields. Some stilt houses have squat-pots, and some some don't. Plenty of them simply have nothing more than a hole cut in the floor which is used as a combination toilet and drain. Everything piles up outside on the ground below. Nothing like looking down the hole to see the smelly mess down there. No one worries about it because it turns to compost rather quickly. Still, people often sit in the open air area below the house (remember, the house is built up on stilts), for shade and cool breezes that blow through. And off on the other side is the hefty pile of poo with perhaps a bit of toilet paper mixed in. Bathing is the same thing. You scoop water with the plastic water bowl and slosh it on your body. Soap yourself up and slosh again to rinse it off.

Fortunately, bathrooms in the cities are usually much more familiar and convenient to use. None of that sloshing business. Just press the handle and it flushes with pressurized (or at least gravity flow) water. And for those who don't want to use toilet paper, there's usually a handy pressurized bum-gun next to the toilet bowl that you can use to hose your fanny clean. Some folks even use the familiar children's training potties for their young ones.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:30 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post

It is the same in the Philippines. Kids who are circumcised are given guava leaves to help heal it faster. My mum also took care of my nephew.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:41 PM

3 posts, read 6,360 times
Circumcision was an ancient practice of Austronesians much like how it is in Judaism, it is not related to Islam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia