Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 06:13 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Schroeder View Post
You do not need to know Japanese. but for the most part only specialized jobs are available to foreigners, such as investment banking or working at an internet startup. Alteratively you could maybe start a shop or restaurant, like an american BBQ place or something like that. A lot of Austrailians have mini ski lodges in Niseko which cater to other australians. However that requires a lot of capital. In fact, no non-japanese is ever just going to get a 'regular' job in Japan, regardless of how good their Japanese language skills are.
Well it's no wonder why I always thought the vast majority of non-Asian foreigners in Japan have jobs as assistant English teachers and next to nothing else. There's probably a good reason why roughly 75% of Japan's foreign population comes from just China, Korea, and the Philippines (very distant 3rd). Regarding English teachers, how common is it for Filipinos to hold English teaching jobs in Japan, considering that English language instruction in the Philippines is generally extremely high?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 09:08 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
LOL, OK

Shanghai is not that bad in this regard. They live shorter in Guangdong however?
Wealth is distributed unevenly in china, like anywhere else... but, shanghai is a modern, wealthy, international city (and the place that botticeli is most familiar with, maybe the only place he's really familiar with, in China) and is also china's showcase and primary face to the outside world.

Other areas of China are totally undeveloped, have poor sanitation which leads to poor hygiene and an increased risk of illness and infection, and only have access to a county hospital which may be hours and hours away. Most people in poor areas lack insurance, and in china, if you don't pay for treatment, you don't get it... it's not socialized across the board like in the EU, Canada, Japan, etc, and you also can't rack up a giant medical bill like in the US (where they are obligated to treat you even if you can't pay)... so, this adversely affects lifespan in poorer or rural areas. If you're poor and you get cancer, you basically drink fermented grass and roots and wait to die.

Guangdong has wealthy and modern cities like Guangzhou and Shenzhen, and also rural hovels and factory towns that have horrific levels of pollution. It's sort of like how you've got NYC, SF, or Boston, and then you've got Detroit, Appalachian towns that are being poisoned by fracking, or small towns in the South with poor access to medicine, just to an extreme.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:34 PM

431 posts, read 449,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Well it's no wonder why I always thought the vast majority of non-Asian foreigners in Japan have jobs as assistant English teachers and next to nothing else. There's probably a good reason why roughly 75% of Japan's foreign population comes from just China, Korea, and the Philippines (very distant 3rd). Regarding English teachers, how common is it for Filipinos to hold English teaching jobs in Japan, considering that English language instruction in the Philippines is generally extremely high?
I doubt there are any Filipinos working as English teachers in Japan.
The only Filipinos I met in Japan were hookers and strippers, who also lived in my yakuza apartment building.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:57 PM

919 posts, read 839,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
it's not socialized across the board like in the EU, Canada, Japan, etc, and you also can't rack up a giant medical bill like in the US (where they are obligated to treat you even if you can't pay)...
Is that true on the US part? I've heard many times that you would be asked if you had a valid credit card when you were taken to hospital by ambulance.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Schroeder View Post
I doubt there are any Filipinos working as English teachers in Japan.
The only Filipinos I met in Japan were hookers and strippers, who also lived in my yakuza apartment building.
All I know is there are many Filipinos working as English teachers online. I believe they teach English via Skype.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:52 AM

440 posts, read 661,933 times
Most of the foreign students in Japan are from Taiwan, Korea, China and Hong Kong, few western students. Some stay in Japan after they finished their studies. Japan has more ties with neigbouring countries than the West, most international people movement such as students, migration, tourists and trade are with East Asian countries. Most learners of Japanese as foreign language are Asians in stead of Westerners.

There are some horse racing jockeys from Western countries in Japan, as in Hong Kong, Macau and Singapore.

Some developed countries' youths are eligible to apply for working holiday in Japan, they have a selection process, with those with higher education and a certain level of Japanese languauge preferred.

English is not important in Japan as in other Asian countries.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
Is that true on the US part? I've heard many times that you would be asked if you had a valid credit card when you were taken to hospital by ambulance.
Nope, the EMT's job is to keep you alive and get you to the hospital where they have a full staff to take care of the financial issue. If you aren't conscious and can't provide any information, then they patch you up and deal with it later. The hospitals are more worried about your insurance than your credit card.

Any hospital that receives federal money for medicare must accept all patients no matter their ability to pay or insurance status, and they will be fined if they don't. The vast majority of US hospitals, and basically all that would accept an ambulance, accept federal funds and thus would have to admit the patient.

That won't stop the hospital from smacking an insanely expensive bill on you and coming after you for it, nor will it prevent the administration from treating you like hell, though. Imagine walking down the street, getting hit by a car, waking up weeks later, and discovering that you have a $750,000 debt...

Old 08-02-2015, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Any hospital that receives federal money for medicare must accept all patients no matter their ability to pay or insurance status, and they will be fined if they don't. The vast majority of US hospitals, and basically all that would accept an ambulance, accept federal funds and thus would have to admit the patient.
Thanks for the explanation! I've just learned the Emergency Medical and Treatment Labor Act was passed by Congress in 1986. That's good for the people living in the US

Doctors Reject Patients Over Low ObamaCare Reimbursements makes me nervous though.

Quote:
That won't stop the hospital from smacking an insanely expensive bill on you and coming after you for it, nor will it prevent the administration from treating you like hell, though. Imagine walking down the street, getting hit by a car, waking up weeks later, and discovering that you have a $750,000 debt...
Oh, I've heard something like that. Don't get sick or injured in the US

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-02-2015 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: Fixed formatting

Old 08-03-2015, 10:47 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,049,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
Most of the foreign students in Japan are from Taiwan, Korea, China and Hong Kong, few western students. Some stay in Japan after they finished their studies. Japan has more ties with neigbouring countries than the West, most international people movement such as students, migration, tourists and trade are with East Asian countries. Most learners of Japanese as foreign language are Asians in stead of Westerners.

There are some horse racing jockeys from Western countries in Japan, as in Hong Kong, Macau and Singapore.

Some developed countries' youths are eligible to apply for working holiday in Japan, they have a selection process, with those with higher education and a certain level of Japanese languauge preferred.

English is not important in Japan as in other Asian countries.
I have seen a lot of American students studying Japanese though.
Only 10~20 years ago, Japanese language was more popular than Chinese language in American colleges.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
I have seen a lot of American students studying Japanese though.
Only 10~20 years ago, Japanese language was more popular than Chinese language in American colleges.
Japan is still extremely popular with Westerners, even relative to China after its decade and a half of booming success and Korea's sudden surge in cultural popularity. If the Chinese language is more popular now with students (I am not sure whether or not this is the case really), that's probably a reflection of economics rather than social preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia