Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 11:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,724 times

Advertisements

Vietnam doesn't seem to have any reputation about sex industry inside the country, but on another hand it is quite famous about mail order bride that export to other countries.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 02:33 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Koreans, in particular, seem to do a lot of the mail order brides thing with Vietnamese.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:48 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,882,429 times
There's a significant number of Singapore males who have married women from Vietnam, many of them much younger than their husbands. Once they get permanent residency status many of them get divorced.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:16 PM

211 posts, read 529,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Koreans, in particular, seem to do a lot of the mail order brides thing with Vietnamese.
It's mainly because in the rural areas, the male:female ratio is too large, as the women tend to leave for bigger cities while the men stay. Not justifying anything, but just throwing that out there.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:53 PM

38 posts, read 68,367 times
I saw a lot documentary where it showed a lot of the women ended up with violent, abusing husbands. Some begged to go home. Sad. Sad. Surprised the practice of mail order brides is still happening.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:20 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times
Not sure how I feel about this per se, but I have a number of Vietnamese friends here in the US and several of them have mentioned they have a female relative back home who would like to marry an American man to move to the US.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:22 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
In 2002 I was in Vietnam to adopt two children. One day I was waiting in a government office for official papers to get one baby out of the country. In came a gaggle (about 5) of beautiful Vietnamese teenage women and a middle aged man. The girl sitting next to me spoke pretty good English and we started talking. She told me the other girls were getting papers to go to Korea (or maybe it was China) to get husbands. I asked her why and she said "There are no good men in Vietnam". I asked her if she was going and she said her mother wouldn't let her.

Everyone was laughing and giggling but something felt very wrong. It dawned on me these young women were being tricked into thinking they would become brides but might become sex slaves. A knot grew in my stomach and I pondered what to do. I was sitting there with a baby on my lap, limited communication skills and at the mercy of these government officials to get me and my child out of the country. I did nothing and I have often wondered what became of those beautiful happy young women. I fear nothing good.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:00 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,606,342 times
vietnam has a sizable sex industry, it's just not popular with westerners.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:08 AM

11 posts, read 32,261 times
Arranged or matchmaking marriages are common in Vietnam, "mail order bride" is just an albeit example of such.

Vietnamese don't date a lot of people in their lifetime like the west.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:51 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countingmanner View Post
Arranged or matchmaking marriages are common in Vietnam, "mail order bride" is just an albeit example of such.

Vietnamese don't date a lot of people in their lifetime like the west.
In fact, those young women who mingle freely are looked down upon and treated as if they're prostitutes - even if they did nothing like that!

Remember, only the parents are considered capable for finding husbands for their daughters - who are nothing but chattel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia