Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 10:23 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,232,457 times

Advertisements

I prefer Singapore.

Why? I really like the vibe of Chinese, Malay, and India with that overall British-influenced culture or English language enveloping it all.

Malaysia is quite similar, but there is a much stronger muslim vibe, which is fine too. But I kind of like that predominate Chinese values/vibes/culture that lingers more heavily over Singapore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2021, 09:14 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,181,090 times
I wonder what the OP ended up doing? I totally feel him on his thoughts. It's tough as a Chinese-Malaysian if you actually do love Malaysia.

Old 08-11-2021, 09:21 AM

1,136 posts, read 528,156 times
In Kuala Lumpur and Penang, most ethnic Chinese can speak Cantonese unlike in Singapore.
In East Malaysia, many ethnic Chinese speak Hakka. It is a cheap region with lower costs than cities in Peninsula Malaysia.

There were many people travelling regularly between Johor Bahru and Singapore.
An example of having pros and cons of two neighbouring developed and developing countries with same languages.

The salary and price differences are more than between Shenzhen and HK or Zhuhai and Macao.
Singapore is much more expensive than Malaysia. A person can buy more in Malaysia with the same amount.

Old 08-11-2021, 09:38 AM

30,487 posts, read 19,246,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavechin View Post
I've been working in these 2 countries and it comes to a point that I need to choose a country to settle down. I am Malaysian and I love my country very much but when looking from the other point of view, most of the data shows I should stay at Singapore.

Here are some pointers for discussion.

Malaysia:
  • More natural places for side seeing, relax
  • People are friendly
  • Food is good
  • Closer to Family
Singapore:
  • Safer and more developed country to live in
  • Good infrastructures
  • Better work opportunity
  • Cost of living lower
What says you???
If I were you, I would continue to work in Singapore for the higher income but save enough money so one day you can return to live in Malaysia either in retirement or with enough savings to supplement my lifestyle if you accept a lower paying job in Malaysia.

As a Western foreigner, Singapore would usually pay more income but if I had a job with an Western company that would pay my wages similar in both countries, then definitely Malaysia. Singapore is very nice, just very expensive housing and crowded. The food in Malaysia is fantastic and the lifestyle also very relaxed and nice.

Old 08-11-2021, 11:09 AM

8,502 posts, read 6,916,225 times
Well paying foreigner jobs in Singapore have been been disappearing over the last several years. All due to local sentiment that foreigners take jobs away from locals. Singapore has a very diverse local job pool with a wide range of talent comparable to any place in the world.

The foreign work pool existing today are for mostly menial construction jobs and other low skill jobs that Singaporeans don’t want. The heyday for the foreign worker was back in the 90’s when there were attractive compensation packages.

Old 08-11-2021, 05:13 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,506,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Well paying foreigner jobs in Singapore have been been disappearing over the last several years. All due to local sentiment that foreigners take jobs away from locals. Singapore has a very diverse local job pool with a wide range of talent comparable to any place in the world.

The foreign work pool existing today are for mostly menial construction jobs and other low skill jobs that Singaporeans don’t want. The heyday for the foreign worker was back in the 90’s when there were attractive compensation packages.
Unless things have changed dramatically in recent times, most of those jobs were taken by other Asians.

Old 08-11-2021, 05:18 PM

8,502 posts, read 6,916,225 times
Yes. The low paying menial jobs go to Asians from other countries with a large percentage from India.

Old 08-11-2021, 06:24 PM

1,136 posts, read 528,156 times
In both countries, the demand for native English teachers is low due to most citizens can speak fluent English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia