Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:42 AM

3 posts, read 5,613 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Illinois and will be moving overseas to teach ESL in China. My exact location is Wuxi which is about 30 minutes direct West of Shanghai. Was wondering if you have any important information about possible places to visit in China or just general information that will help me along the Way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 10:58 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Check out Dave's ESL Cafe. It has a Forum devoted to ESL and the China forum is rather large. You'll get a lot of great information from expats already living in China and teaching ESL.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/

Old 01-07-2014, 07:43 PM

11 posts, read 10,900 times
I live in suzhou beside wuxi.From shanghai to wuxi about a hour by train, and here have a small airport, but no international flights.
Wuxi is a beautiful industrial city,people are friendly,food is good.I think safer and more developed country to live in.The infrastructures is good,have better work opportunity.
In China there are a lot of people want to learn English, so teaching ESL is a good job.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:39 AM

42 posts, read 45,211 times
yangyunwei,, i am in suzhou too

apbellino ,Wuxi is a nice place , an old city .
there are many amazing places in China you can travel . such as Jiuzhaigou( 九寨沟) Lijiang(丽江) Zhangjiajie(张家界)。。。。
many many deliciouse foods are waiting for your tasting ,haha and buities on street will attractive you ...,welcome .

(you can visit Nanjing and Suzhou ,Hangzhou ....at your weekend when you work in Wuxi.)

Old 01-10-2014, 04:28 AM

11 posts, read 10,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeranyi View Post
yangyunwei,, i am in suzhou too

apbellino ,Wuxi is a nice place , an old city .
there are many amazing places in China you can travel . such as Jiuzhaigou( 九寨沟) Lijiang(丽江) Zhangjiajie(张家界)。。。。
many many deliciouse foods are waiting for your tasting ,haha and buities on street will attractive you ...,welcome .

(you can visit Nanjing and Suzhou ,Hangzhou ....at your weekend when you work in Wuxi.)
hi, My hometown in Jiangxi Province, Jingdezhen, there are a lot of beautiful porcelain.and you?

Old 01-10-2014, 05:58 AM

51 posts, read 81,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Check out Dave's ESL Cafe. It has a Forum devoted to ESL and the China forum is rather large. You'll get a lot of great information from expats already living in China and teaching ESL.

Job Discussion Forums :: Index

This is good advice. You have a lot of reading to do on that forum. There are a lot of good AND bad things you need to know about.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:11 AM

11 posts, read 63,549 times
Indeed the Yangtze River delta is rich in history and culture, and actually people are middle-class or well off for many centuries. Locals usually stay at the region than seeking opportunites elsewhere, unlike the low skill workers from poorer regions of China. GDP per capita and Education level of Shanghai, Jiangxi and Zhejiang are high. There is a tradition to excel, hard working students are plenty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yangyunwei View Post
Wuxi is a beautiful industrial city,people are friendly,food is good.I think safer and more developed country to live in.The infrastructures is good,have better work opportunity.
In China there are a lot of people want to learn English, so teaching ESL is a good job.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:43 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attetll View Post
Indeed the Yangtze River delta is rich in history and culture, and actually people are middle-class or well off for many centuries. Locals usually stay at the region than seeking opportunites elsewhere, unlike the low skill workers from poorer regions of China. GDP per capita and Education level of Shanghai, Jiangxi and Zhejiang are high. There is a tradition to excel, hard working students are plenty.
I think students are pretty hard working everywhere in China, including in poorer provinces. The major reason Hunan is not as developed as Zhejiang, for example, is geographic location. Foreign investments simply do not go to Hunan that much and workers have to find a job in coast provinces.

Jiangxi is not really a part of the Yangtze detal, did you mean Jiangsu?

Old 01-10-2014, 01:45 PM

11 posts, read 63,549 times
Yeah I mean Jiangsu, but North Jiangsu is poor, it is a source of rural workers in the rich places, but South Jiangsu is pretty good.

I am not sure if most students are pretty hardworking everywhere in China. But most do not have confidence to enter tertiary education or become very fluent in a foreign language. Developed nations' citizens generally have higher education level than developing nations'(china included). English education is a luxury in China. Only rich parents or schools can afford hiring western teachers.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:18 PM

89 posts, read 202,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attetll View Post
Yeah I mean Jiangsu, but North Jiangsu is poor, it is a source of rural workers in the rich places, but South Jiangsu is pretty good.

I am not sure if most students are pretty hardworking everywhere in China. But most do not have confidence to enter tertiary education or become very fluent in a foreign language. Developed nations' citizens generally have higher education level than developing nations'(china included). English education is a luxury in China. Only rich parents or schools can afford hiring western teachers.
Most students in China are very studying hard on English since their primary school, for English with 150 scores , as we can say like this, has a decisive influence on their collage entrance examination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia