Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 07:06 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,633,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes, I mean of course you're more likely to get back alive than not, but I yeah I don't know if I personally feel enough desire to visit anyway, although a Malaysian friend recommended Hat Yai.

Yes, I can sort of see why, I guess. The area has a lot of separatists and is culturally/ethnically part more part of Malaysia. Perhaps it would be better if those southern provinces became part of Malaysia, what do you think? Although it's not a mainly Muslim province even in Phuket I remember hearing the call to prayer each morning from the mosque. What do you think of Phuket, btw? I mean there's Patong, of course, but there's also Phuket Town, which reminded me a lot of George Town, Penang. Karron and other parts of the island, which is considerable in size, are surprisingly not overrun by tourists as the Patong beach area.
Realistically speaking, I don't think the southern provinces will ever be turned over to Malaysia. Thailand needs to spend some money to better improve the region. I'm not sure that would stop the insurgents, so the squabbles a likely to continue until both the governments of Thailand and Malaysia stamp out the border-hopping extremist groups. These people aren't Thai, and apparently have no regard for the locals. So what exactly are they doing there? They seem to bully and intimidate the locals, and help themselves to whatever they want. I doubt they're actually muslims although they may claim to be. They're just brutal thugs that need to be put out of their misery.

I did find an interesting website by Mark Smith from England who likes traveling with his family on trains and gives some interesting information and opinions. In the first link, scroll down to the title: "Security warnings for parts of southern Thailand". It's worth a read. Like me, he doesn't think it's anything for foreigners to worry about, but does suggest to be aware and exercise caution. The page is essentially about traveling from Singapore to Thailand, rather than the other way around. Interestingly, there are two routes. One travels up through Yala province and to Hat Yai. But a second route, less of a worry, is along the west coast and does not go through Pattani, Narathiwat, or Yala at all, and goes through a short stretch of the northern part of Songkhla province to Hat Yai. The second link shows a map with the train routes.

How to travel by train Singapore - Kuala Lumpur - Penang - Bangkok

Map of train routes in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Burma
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 07:10 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Realistically speaking, I don't think the southern provinces will ever be turned over to Malaysia. Thailand needs to spend some money to better improve the region. I'm not sure that would stop the insurgents, so the squabbles a likely to continue until both the governments of Thailand and Malaysia stamp out the border-hopping extremist groups. These people aren't Thai, and apparently have no regard for the locals. So what exactly are they doing there? They seem to bully and intimidate the locals, and help themselves to whatever they want. I doubt they're actually muslims although they may claim to be. They're just brutal thugs that need to be put out of their misery.

I did find an interesting website by Mark Smith from England who likes traveling with his family on trains and gives some interesting information and opinions. In the first link, scroll down to the title: "Security warnings for parts of southern Thailand". It's worth a read. Like me, he doesn't think it's anything for foreigners to worry about, but does suggest to be aware and exercise caution. The page is essentially about traveling from Singapore to Thailand, rather than the other way around. Interestingly, there are two routes. One travels up through Yala province and to Hat Yai. But a second route, less of a worry, is along the west coast and does not go through Pattani, Narathiwat, or Yala at all, and goes through a short stretch of the northern part of Songkhla province to Hat Yai. The second link shows a map with the train routes.

How to travel by train Singapore - Kuala Lumpur - Penang - Bangkok

Map of train routes in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Burma
I'm interested about how most people in the south identify. Do they see themselves as Muslim Thais - at least in nationality, or see themselves as more like Malays abroad? Or do they sort of embrace both identities? I guess it would vary from person to person. Also there are some Thai converts to Islam there right, even if the minority.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
I'm interested about how most people in the south identify. Do they see themselves as Muslim Thais - at least in nationality, or see themselves as more like Malays abroad? Or do they sort of embrace both identities? I guess it would vary from person to person. Also there are some Thai converts to Islam there right, even if the minority.
I have no idea since I'm not all that familiar with the people in the region. but I would suspect a good number are disenchanted at being ignored by the opportunity to help better improve the region. If improvements could be made, I would think they'd be more positive about being Muslim Thais. While I've met a few, I don't really know them. But those I've seen in the Centrai Plains, including Bangkok, and in the North seem much like other Thai people apart from clothing that some wear, customs and beliefs. They're just people, many seem quite friendly and likeable, and a few not so much.

I assume what you mean by Thai converts to be Buddhists who convert to Islam. I don't know. Both seem pretty steadfast in their beliefs even if some don't always practice what they preach, except when it's convenient, so to speak.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:26 PM

294 posts, read 476,222 times
OP doesn't like Asian food. Arguments are invalid.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:14 PM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,003 times
Being right now in Thailand where I happened to lose my credit card - my fault could have happened anywhere after all - I m starting to feel like the OP . As soon as a farang has a hard time it seems the Thai who have only $$$ in their mind dont seem to care...never had that kind of bad experience in so reviled Mexico...I think in the future I ll skip Asia for my vacation time is limited and I ll choose other destinations preferably...

Old 02-05-2014, 09:22 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Being right now in Thailand where I happened to lose my credit card - my fault could have happened anywhere after all - I m starting to feel like the OP . As soon as a farang has a hard time it seems the Thai who have only $$$ in their mind dont seem to care...never had that kind of bad experience in so reviled Mexico...I think in the future I ll skip Asia for my vacation time is limited and I ll choose other destinations preferably...
You'll experience the bad, most likely, but there's also the good/decent. Like when I left my wallet in the taxi from the airport to my hotel in Ho Chi Minh City the driver drove back and returned it to me...I was starting to panic, thank God, but yeah like anywhere there are people who will do the right thing and even be prudent enough to ensure that you're taken care of!

Keep in mind the rest of Asia is not like Thailand either. Japan, for instance, is totally different too.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:35 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lunatic & A Therapist View Post
^ oh I would never visit Vietnam or China. I refuse to support communists countries with my tourism dollars.
Ridiculous....Everything you're wearing and the latest electronic gadget you just brought were made in China. So, in actuality you're already supporting The Communist.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
You'll experience the bad, most likely, but there's also the good/decent. Like when I left my wallet in the taxi from the airport to my hotel in Ho Chi Minh City the driver drove back and returned it to me...I was starting to panic, thank God, but yeah like anywhere there are people who will do the right thing and even be prudent enough to ensure that you're taken care of!
I agree. A few decades ago, my wife and I were at Wat Po. I wanted to take some photos. For the last photo I bent to to snap the shot, then we left. We were going to leave to catch a tuk-tuk, so I reached down to a fanny pack I was wearing to get some money. The pack was gone. We retraced our steps, look in trash cans, and then asked someone who worked there if someone might have turned it in. She suggested that I report the loss to the security office. I was feeling a bit of panic because the pack contained some money, traveler cheques, and most important, addresses and phone numbers, my passport which also included my airline tickets. I talked with the guy in the security office who wanted me to give a description of the pack and contents. I told him, and I said I didn't care about the money, but the passport is what was most important. He could see I was feeling nervous, and told me with a smile, "jai yen-yen" (relax, keep cool). Lo and behold, he pulled out my pack, and said someone just turned it in. Not a single thing was missing. The photo of me in my passport book verified me as the owner. What a relief. I offered to give him something for his kindness, but he refused. He said he was just glad to get it back to me. From that day to this, I'm extremely grateful to the people at Wat Po, and t the unknown person who turned it in. While there are people who would just clean out the cash and trash the rest, there are people who are concerned and do the right thing.

It turned out that the waist belt clasp on the pack was flawed and took no effort to come loose. Needless to say, I went to a leather goods shop in BKK and bought a much better one for a fraction of what I paid in the US, testing it first to make absolutely sure the clasp held tight. I did get a refund for the faulty one when I returned to the US.

It could've just as easily have turned out badly. I can understand when something unfortunate happens, it can leave a bitter memory about the country, even though it has nothing to do with the country. There are lots of good people in Thailand, and yes, there are a few who are not so good.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:07 PM

10,641 posts, read 16,023,053 times
Thing about Thailand is that 90% are very friendly helpful people while the other 10% try to get every penny out of the tourists, scamming is a business especially in the tourist red light districts of Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket.

Last year i was taking out some cash from a ATM at a street market in Huai Khwang (Bangkok), walked away and 50 meters later a middle aged Thai women walks up to me from behind and says "You forget card from ATM" and she gives the card to me.
That really made my day, but i was mad at myself, how could i forget my card?
Maybe it was because of the Alprazolam

Old 02-11-2014, 02:21 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lunatic & A Therapist View Post
Has anyone out there been interested in seeing many countries around the world but passing over on all of Asia?

Honestly, this is how I'm starting to feel. Is there others out there like me?
And skip out on 67% of the world? What kind of world tour is that?

Well, sounds like you don't really have an interest in seeing many countries in the world. Nothing is wrong with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia