Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 10:25 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Yup Chinese Muslims in Indonesia would be better treated by the neighbor, but i wouldn't say that Chinese are treated 2nd class citizen today, as a matter of fact i saw the Chinese looking down on the locals more than he other way around.
They look down on each other, sure. But when it comes to treatments by their own government, the chinese really are second class. They're denied government jobs or government assistance that are available to Malays, even going to public schools is made difficult for them so the chinese parents would have no choice but to send their kids to private schools that cost a lot more obviously. Any little foothold they gained thus far, they paid for it 4-5 times more than the Malays did. In spite of that, they still prosper. I'm just surprised there hasn't been mass exodus by Chinese from Malaysia or Indonesia. I mean, sure, discrimination and racism are everywhere but mostly it's done by people against each other. This is pretty much systematically done by the country. What a crappy thing to do to your own Citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 10:51 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,654,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
They look down on each other, sure. But when it comes to treatments by their own government, the chinese really are second class. They're denied government jobs or government assistance that are available to Malays, even going to public schools is made difficult for them so the chinese parents would have no choice but to send their kids to private schools that cost a lot more obviously. Any little foothold they gained thus far, they paid for it 4-5 times more than the Malays did. In spite of that, they still prosper. I'm just surprised there hasn't been mass exodus by Chinese from Malaysia or Indonesia. I mean, sure, discrimination and racism are everywhere but mostly it's done by people against each other. This is pretty much systematically done by the country. What a crappy thing to do to your own Citizens.
Its not as much today in Indonesia, the rights for the Chiense community ha improved by miles since the end of the new order in 1998, there are no discriminatory action when it comes to almost anything. It used to be bad during Suharto era but its already over. Though there are big distrust from the Chinese community and many discriminate themself.

Im surprised that public university as university of Malaya in Malaysia is however 99% Malay. That doesn't seem to be the case in Indonesia when i visit University of Indonesia.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:20 AM

199 posts, read 336,635 times
Conversely, would Austronesians have equal opportunity in China? (assuming they can easily get PRC citizenship in the first place)

((puts the shoe on the other foot))

Old 02-23-2014, 12:44 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
For many Malaysia is still their home. They don't want to move. I would respect them more if they stood up to the unfair policies instead of just fleeing.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:46 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjelman7 View Post
Conversely, would Austronesians have equal opportunity in China? (assuming they can easily get PRC citizenship in the first place)

((puts the shoe on the other foot))
Well the Chinese government doesn't exactly treat it's own people very well. If anything if you're a wealthy foreigner it seems you get treated better...

Old 02-23-2014, 02:05 AM

199 posts, read 336,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well the Chinese government doesn't exactly treat it's own people very well.
I am now interested to hear pro-PRC posters' responses to this statement...

Old 02-23-2014, 07:17 AM

101 posts, read 326,635 times
Ethnic tension in Malaysia was actually not that bad before the last election. As a matter of fact, the opposition party actually won the most real votes. As to why it ended differently... oh well

Old 02-23-2014, 07:22 AM

101 posts, read 326,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
For many Malaysia is still their home. They don't want to move. I would respect them more if they stood up to the unfair policies instead of just fleeing.
That's not exactly unheard of. It's however a taboo to speak of racial preferential treatment and whoever does it openly will be arrested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia