Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which is your favourite?
Pho 6 33.33%
Curry Laksa 5 27.78%
Ramen 3 16.67%
Beef noodle soup 3 16.67%
Soto ayam 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 07:52 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
If Laotian food is too spicy for you, you probably wouldn't survive in Indonesia
The Indo food I've had hasn't been too hot, but some dishes are hotter than others. I notice that Indonesians also tend to like sweet flavours, like their peanut-based satay sauce and gado gado are kind of sweet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 08:01 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,655,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
The Indo food I've had hasn't been too hot, but some dishes are hotter than others. I notice that Indonesians also tend to like sweet flavours, like their peanut-based satay sauce and gado gado are kind of sweet.
Not as sweet as Malaysian Malays food however (even the sambal paste there is sweet and not spicy), whether its sweet or saltish really depends on which province or towns you go, for example the food in Surabaya or Yogya usually are sweeter while not as much in Semarang. Balinese food aren't actually that spicy compared to the other parts of Indonesia, Padang food too unless you really knows where you are going, Manado and Batak is the best one.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:06 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Not as sweet as Malaysian Malays food however (even the sambal paste there is sweet and not spicy), whether its sweet or saltish really depends on which province or towns you go, for example the food in Surabaya or Yogya usually are sweeter while not as much in Semarang. Balinese food aren't actually that spicy compared to the other parts of Indonesia, Padang food too unless you really knows where you are going, Manado and Batak is the best one.
Yes the sambal I've had at both Malay and Indonesian places has been pretty sweet, tangy and spicy.

Yes Balinese food isn't that hot, it also has more pork of course. Sure is delicious. I wonder why there aren't more Balinese restaurants in Australia considering how many go there.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:15 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,655,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes the sambal I've had at both Malay and Indonesian places has been pretty sweet, tangy and spicy.

Yes Balinese food isn't that hot, it also has more pork of course. Sure is delicious. I wonder why there aren't more Balinese restaurants in Australia considering how many go there.
Because the skill are limited to the Balinese and the tropical spices ingredients, such as shredded coconut, lemon grass, cloves, etc. It might be available in Australia but took extra effort to find it.

Huh? really the sambal in Indonesia usually are made salty not sweet (or bitter if i eat Padang food), hardly i encounter sweet sambal in my lifetime.. the salty one i tried in Malaysia is sambal belacan which to me is a too strong, Indonesian version is sambal terasi which tend to be less stronger in flavor and more enjoyable to me.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:24 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,539,581 times
All the noodles listed are good....my favs are Pho and Udon noodle soup though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia