Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 08:08 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooplaman View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about, I am actually from the region so I can understand the complexities better. I cannot wait until Modi becomes PM and creates ethnic strife in India.
Great! hope you make room in pakistan for all the recruitable jihadis coming your way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 08:10 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
Great, now I don't have to waste anymore of my weekend responding to you. But I am saddened that you are hoping for ethnic strife in any country.

You should have called the FBI instead....

Old 04-29-2014, 08:52 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,546,776 times
India has over 200 languages and a great diversity of religion. And it's the world's largest democracy.

China has a strong central government that rules by force.

The government of China is very loud-mouthed and pretends to speak for all the Chinese people. The government of India recognizes the great diversity of its citizens and makes it for the most part accepting of different people.

India has strengths that are not government-enforced. They are proud to be Indian. Don't underestimate how they would unite against an enemy.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:15 AM

1,110 posts, read 983,476 times
i do not understand how India can even be compared with China. Maybe only in terms of population. In terms of infrasture, China is one of the most advanced in the world, while India is most backward in the world. In terms of Economy, India is just a fraction of that of China. In terms of political power, China is the permanent member of UN security council and a major counter force against US influence.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:51 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
i do not understand how India can even be compared with China. Maybe only in terms of population. In terms of infrasture, China is one of the most advanced in the world, while India is most backward in the world. In terms of Economy, India is just a fraction of that of China. In terms of political power, China is the permanent member of UN security council and a major counter force against US influence.
Yea, I think it's premature. India could do a meteoric rise, but that is at the very least a decade away.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:05 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, I think it's premature. India could do a meteoric rise, but that is at the very least a decade away.
you mean to for the country to build a 1300km high speed railway in 3 years, and for Mumbai add 12 subway lines in 10 years?

yep, I am sure India will be able to achieve that.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:21 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
you mean to for the country to build a 1300km high speed railway in 3 years, and for Mumbai add 12 subway lines in 10 years?

yep, I am sure India will be able to achieve that.
No, I mean for India to be on a meteoric rise where it actually has the ability to commence doing that. There's a concept called the demographic dividend which a lot of East Asian countries (the "tiger" economies) hit in the 70s through to the 90s and which China has been hitting since around the 90s or late 80s. It looks like India will start hitting that in the 2020s or 2030s which should probably give it a good two to three decades of really impressive growth once it hits.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:55 AM

1,110 posts, read 983,476 times
The very political and social structure in India will hinder its development progress. All the little tigers that experienced rapid growth have a strong government that can push all the economic development. For India, I do not see it in 50 years or ever.

Quote:
No, I mean for India to be on a meteoric rise where it actually has the ability to commence doing that. There's a concept called the demographic dividend which a lot of East Asian countries (the "tiger" economies) hit in the 70s through to the 90s and which China has been hitting since around the 90s or late 80s. It looks like India will start hitting that in the 2020s or 2030s which should probably give it a good two to three decades of really impressive growth once it hits.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:37 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,074,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Both of these countries are rising superpowers, as many call them, but they each still have a long way to go. Which country do you think will become more powerful over time? Do you foresee another Cold War in the future between them both, as there was between the USA and the USSR?
China definitely. India gdp per capita is similar to China gdp per capita in 2000. To give a perspective on the numbers, back then Beijing had a subway network of two lines. Most other cities was just filled with bicycles, and no subway lines, and there was no high speed trains. If China hadn't been investing so much in infrastructure, then China would have slowed down.

India is currently doing just that. They are not investing much, and each year more and more people are added into poverty. India is already slowing down and has only grown by 4-5% last year. China grew between 8-12% in 2000 - 2010.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:42 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,074,443 times
Quote:
Demographic dividend and the bulge afterwards only affects rich countries with low unemployment rates, or countries who spend too much on welfare. China does neither. To give you an example, the demographics of Eastern Europe is absolutely terrible, but they are still growing fast.

China currently has lots of people in unproductive jobs, that is the main reason China is poor. Fewer people seeking jobs is a good thing, because it reduces the amount of people competing for jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia