Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one?
China 3 11.11%
India 23 85.19%
Both are equally so 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 07:17 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,827,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
These are among the common words that are different. I suspect the "correct" way to pronounce it in Singapore is like the PRC way, while the accent might be closer to Taiwan (aside from people from Fujian, of course). I am not so sure as I spoke only English with native Singaporeans.

week
CN: xing1qi1
TW: xing1qi2

Asia
CN: ya4zhou1
TW: ya3zhou1

garbage
CN: la1ji1
TW: le4se4

Ok.. We pronouce it the PRC way...

i guess the fact that Singapore goes by Simplified Chinese Characters rather than traditional tells a lot too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 02:23 AM

1,110 posts, read 983,740 times
Yes. Singaporeans speak Mainland Mandarin more than Taiwan Mandarin. I cannot tell from the accent of a singapore where he comes from. But in case of Taiwan, it is so unique that you can notice once they open their mouths. But some young people are mimicing the Taiwan tone in the Mainland, which is funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Ok.. We pronouce it the PRC way...

i guess the fact that Singapore goes by Simplified Chinese Characters rather than traditional tells a lot too

Old 05-02-2014, 07:30 PM

938 posts, read 1,515,614 times
Not sure how you would compare linguistic diversity. There are plenty of people who don't speak Hindi in India but China's made everybody speak Mandarin. I'm not sure how different the Dravidian (South Indian) languages are, but aren't most North Indian languages descended from Sanskrit? Which means that they're probably not much more different from each other than the Chinese languages or Romance languages. India's got many different writing systems whereas most languages in China, whether they're Chinese languages or minority languages like Tai, Mon-Khmer, and Austronesian, don't have official writing systems. Most non-Chinese languages in China are only spoken by small groups of people whereas Dravidian languages like Tamil, Telugu and Malayalam are spoken by millions of people.

I suppose this means India is more linguistically diverse.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:44 PM

4 posts, read 8,720 times
Definitely India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
India for sure.

China is rapidly losing its linguistic diversity. You don't hear Shanghainese kids speaking Shanghainese to each other any more.
It's sad, but it's the unfortunate reality that many people drag themselves into. I don't think changing government policy would help, it's more because it's the pursuit of greed at the expense of culture. Parents think some languages are 'useless' and other languages are 'useful'. So they are also equally to blame for this. In 2-3 generations it will become extinct because survival of the language doesn't just depend on older generations, but how young people acquire the language and have a strong command of it. Intermarriage with people from other parts of China is also hurting its chances. Even public announcements in Shanghainese are present just so older people can understand. It's sad when some people from Shanghai think I'm a 'foreigner' who can speak fluent, native-level Shanghainese better than their own children. Even though I have parents who were born and raised in Shanghai.

But anyway 'Shanghainese culture' isn't even distinct or unique, it's just westernized form of Jiangsu-Zhejiang melting pot culture. Very few people in Shanghai are descended from the original settlers of Shanghai back when it was a walled city. Their dialect of Wu, the Shanghainese of the 19th century/early 20th century, is also quite different than post-modern Shanghainese. It's more related to suburban Wu dialects of western Shanghai municipality and parts of neighboring Zhejiang and Jiangsu. Modern Shanghainese is basically Old Shanghainese that underwent influence from Ningbo dialect and some other nearby Wu dialects, some amount of Jianghuai Mandarin and Standard Mandarin.

Last edited by Goujian; 09-02-2015 at 11:09 PM..

Old 09-06-2015, 11:46 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Without even looking up the answer, you could guess India. The countries are now close to the same size, and China is much more economically developed. Plus I have seen those lists of the world's most spoken languages and Mandarin is always #1 followed by Spanish and English and Hindi. That tells you right there that India doesn't have a single language as widespread as Chinese Mandarin.

EDIT
I looked it up, and Hindi is the native language of only 41% of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia