Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 02:11 AM

7 posts, read 11,868 times

Advertisements

If you will eventually move back to the US, that amount of money earned in Korea will be a small sum.
If you can stay in Korea forever with a wage higher than most Koreans, that's very nice. But bear in mind of the inflation as Korea has a high economic growth rate, compared with the US and Japan.

Someone mentioned the Phillippines. Probably westerners can live like an emperor there because things are extremely cheap and the locals admire westerners to a great extent.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:58 AM

2 posts, read 2,946 times
According to OP's posts, Koreans like to befriend, date or marry educated, hard-working, rich, good-looking Koreans.

And according to peenyone, women in some other countries are excited with a not so educated, lazy, no income, average to ugly looks with smelly BO, fat belly and butt western grey hair man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
In other words, if you are a white guy with average to ugly looks, no income and a smelly BO, you will still get dates in the. Philippines....

This is not something to be proud of if I were a Filipino.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:07 AM

2 posts, read 2,946 times
Something to do with the popularity of good-looking famous Korean tv & music stars.
The country still has many negatives despite the promotion of the country through Korean Wave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by medellinheel View Post
Most people think there is very much something wrong with people obsessing over looks and putting it at the top of the most importance list.
Shallow would be the word for that.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:29 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
I pretty much agree with OP and I worked at a famous electronics firm in Seoul for 1 year. Korea is a collectivist society and you will not be able to join the collective if you're not Korean. I hated Korea until I accepted the above and started to hang out with fellow Americans there.

However, it was a very wonderful place as a non-collectivist enjoying the many wonderful things about Korea such as great food, marvelous transportation system, and completely safe. I was paid handsomely and given a $6300/mo apartment so I lived well there and for that, I'd go back again someday.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:29 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiva View Post
Just not your cup of tea. Sorry that you had a bad experience, but that is how Korea became a developed country in two generations.

It's hard for a Western person who grew up in a individuallistic country to understand a collectivist society like Korea, but that is how people live, think and breathe.
I can't agree more.
This is completely a foreign opinion from a Taiwanese.I would never want to live in Korea because like OP said and from what I've heard the pressure of living over there seems unbearable,but the patriotism of Korean people is just unbelievable.Koreans turned their country from ashes into a fully developed Asian country,into a country that stands firmly on their own between three major forces.Korea has been so prosperous that even the financial crisis that cracked down almost every country in East Asia didn't defeat it.Even if they reunite with North Korea,I believe Korea will recover from the throe asap.

I kinda feel like Asian societies are all generally more collectivist than the Westerners,while Korea is the most obvious among all of us.It definitely has cons and pros.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:13 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Quote:
Sorry, I have seen too many Chinese trolls here who's joy in life is to trash Korea.
The past is indeed no excuse to be shallow and rude, but I am telling you to try to understand why an entire country became hyper competitive.
It's too bad that you are left with such bad impressions, but that's how it is I guess.
Hope you find a decent paying job in another country soon that will get "a pass".
Why do you say this?

Old 05-05-2014, 10:26 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Also it seems like a recent trend for someone to go live in a foreign country and expect to make a ton of friends, and be living it up as if they were on so TV series.

Honestly, what do people expect when they go work in a foreign land? Do you really expect all the people to just open their arms and hug you?

Old 05-05-2014, 11:01 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medellinheel View Post
Korea is not like Philippines, Indonesia, or Colombia where the women prefer Westerners. Being a foreigner is a negative for 80% of the women. Good luck going into the main clubs in Gangnam and trying to pull a Korean women. You will get shot down pretty much every time.

As a foreigner you have to work hard just to get a 5 or 6 lol.
So basically you're getting shot down, and yet that is somehow the Korean women's problem?

Last edited by savoytruffle; 05-05-2014 at 11:17 AM..

Old 05-05-2014, 11:02 AM

255 posts, read 565,656 times
I lived in Korea for three years.

A lot of good things about the place, it is relatively clean, people take pride in their appearance, great transport system and it is very modern.

Thought I met many kind Korean people, there is a problem with narrow minded nationalism and a lack of critical thinking skills - just look at the fan death phenomena, and in my opinion, the worst food in Asia outside of the Philippines and Burma.

I always remember some God botherer albeit a pretty twenty something hairdresser trying to get me to come to her church on a Sunday and every single time, there would be some arsehole adjosshi butting in telling her not to speak to me! That is another problem, idiotic adjosshis who get their way because they are older than you taking advantage via Confucian values and they are the idiots who run their society.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:10 AM

255 posts, read 565,656 times
Quote:
I grew up in Korea, went to an Ivy for grad school in the US and was awed by how many of my American peers lacked basic knowledge and self control.
You are so much brighter than your American peers, yet, you didn't stay in Korea for grad school
but went where those inferior thickoes went to grad school.

Many times I would ask my Korean classes to name a country in Africa (except for Ghana of course) with a 10000 won prize and no-one got the prize. Their knowledge of the world outside of planet Korea was
shocking as I would often hear how 'dirty' and 'poor' Africa was despite not being able to name a country there, and all this coming from 18-21 year
olds.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-06-2014 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: Changing quote is against TOS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia