Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 09:48 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times

Advertisements

I am not talking about internet posters, but people in general.

I mean, it seems Asians (mainly east and southeast Asians) like to talk about politics more than Americans, and maybe Europeans. Europeans are more interested in politics than Americans.

Fox news shows some American college students of today do not know what ISIS is (never heard of the beheading), and many people cannot recognize Hillary Clinton's image. I think in Asian countries people are more involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 10:40 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post

I mean, it seems Asians (mainly east and southeast Asians) like to talk about politics more than Americans, and maybe Europeans. Europeans are more interested in politics than Americans.

Fox news shows some American college students of today do not know what ISIS is (never heard of the beheading), and many people cannot recognize Hillary Clinton's image. I think in Asian countries people are more involved.
I find the opposite. I find the U.S. to be extremely highly polarized, and politics comes up so often there, it's absolutely draining to discuss all the time. Particularly since so much of the current American media is so extremely polarized politically.

I've been living in Asia for 15 years, and I teach university students. I've been routinely surprised at just how completely unaware they are of countries outside of their borders. I long ago stopped any class that spoke about the Middle East, as I found they knew absolutely nothing about it whatsoever. These days, I just assumed the Middle East was a western obsession to be interested about.

There are also little things like in South Korea, 'Hitler Bars' would be popular, as they know Hitler was famous, and it would resonate that it meant something to someone coming from the West. But they are completely and largely clueless at the enormous negativity among westerners and especially Jewish people themselves, when you have a Hitler themed bar or restaurant.

In short, I've found the complete opposite to be true. I wish the U.S. cared a little less about politics, so I don't have to relentlessly hear about it from Americans all the time. And I wish Asians were way more politically aware of things, so I wouldn't have to basically show a map first and explain a ton of background, as they seem to often have no starting point.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I find the opposite. I find the U.S. to be extremely highly polarized, and politics comes up so often there, it's absolutely draining to discuss all the time. Particularly since so much of the current American media is so extremely polarized politically.

I've been living in Asia for 15 years, and I teach university students. I've been routinely surprised at just how completely unaware they are of countries outside of their borders. I long ago stopped any class that spoke about the Middle East, as I found they knew absolutely nothing about it whatsoever. These days, I just assumed the Middle East was a western obsession to be interested about.

There are also little things like in South Korea, 'Hitler Bars' would be popular, as they know Hitler was famous, and it would resonate that it meant something to someone coming from the West. But they are completely and largely clueless at the enormous negativity among westerners and especially Jewish people themselves, when you have a Hitler themed bar or restaurant.

In short, I've found the complete opposite to be true. I wish the U.S. cared a little less about politics, so I don't have to relentlessly hear about it from Americans all the time. And I wish Asians were way more politically aware of things, so I wouldn't have to basically show a map first and explain a ton of background, as they seem to often have no starting point.
I'm not talking about international affairs, but mainly domestic news related to politics.

Asian countries do not have global power and do not have many immigrants, so naturally they tend to focus on their own.

I guarantee you all Chinese know Hitler and the holocaust. However in China the government and the culture do not forbid them to express "different" views on this particular issue. I know some young Chinese admire Hitler etc., and they DO know what Hitler did.
Actually I remember once I talked to a Jewish American. I did not know he is Jew and said some people believe the Holocaust is not completely true. He became very angry and the conversation was over. In China, you won't have this situation on this particular issue so people do not care that much.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:12 AM

Quote:
I'm not talking about international affairs, but mainly domestic news related to politics.

Asian countries do not have global power and do not have many immigrants, so naturally they tend to focus on their own.

I guarantee you all Chinese know Hitler and the holocaust. However in China the government and the culture do not forbid them to express "different" views on this particular issue. I know some young Chinese admire Hitler etc., and they DO know what Hitler did.
Actually I remember once I talked to a Jewish American. I did not know he is Jew and said some people believe the Holocaust is not completely true. He became very angry and the conversation was over. In China, you won't have this situation on this particular issue so people do not care that much.
I see. So you are saying that Asians are more aware of their own domestic affairs?

I think that's a universal. Americans are absolutely obsessed about politics, but it's mostly domestic as well. I think it just goes with the turf.

I mean, sure, you can definitely go find Americans who are indifferent about politics, but I'd say that is getting really hard to do today, despite the occasional news media trying to get readership/viewership with the ever-popular story where they find some young people who don't know much, and headline it.

Okay, I can see your point-of-view about Hitler. In the west, it is completely unacceptable to sympathize with Hitler. It's an interesting viewpoint that Asians are allowed to have a multitude or opinions to agree or disagree with Hitler's atrocities. Actually there are some westerners who also agree with Hitler. But, they are quickly labeled as extremely racist. So, it is certainly allowed, but definitely not popular or mainstream.

I think the general reaction when Asians agree with Hitler, people just assume those Asians are either very uneducated (which is what most think) or they think they are very racist (if they come across with actual knowledge and still agree with it). Based on what you said about Chinese admiring Hitler and knowing about the atrocities, it would come across as 'Chinese are very racist' rather than a 'Chinese are very knowledgeable about politics and world events'.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I see. So you are saying that Asians are more aware of their own domestic affairs?

I think that's a universal. Americans are absolutely obsessed about politics, but it's mostly domestic as well. I think it just goes with the turf.

I mean, sure, you can definitely go find Americans who are indifferent about politics, but I'd say that is getting really hard to do today, despite the occasional news media trying to get readership/viewership with the ever-popular story where they find some young people who don't know much, and headline it.

Okay, I can see your point-of-view about Hitler. In the west, it is completely unacceptable to sympathize with Hitler. It's an interesting viewpoint that Asians are allowed to have a multitude or opinions to agree or disagree with Hitler's atrocities. Actually there are some westerners who also agree with Hitler. But, they are quickly labeled as extremely racist. So, it is certainly allowed, but definitely not popular or mainstream.

I think the general reaction when Asians agree with Hitler, people just assume those Asians are either very uneducated (which is what most think) or they think they are very racist (if they come across with actual knowledge and still agree with it). Based on what you said about Chinese admiring Hitler and knowing about the atrocities, it would come across as 'Chinese are very racist' rather than a 'Chinese are very knowledgeable about politics and world events'.
Hitler is labeled "evil" in Asia too. At least in China the history textbooks describe him as being totally negative. I believe there are young people who admire Hitler in every country, evidently in Europe. However, in Asia the governments are less sensitive than in the west, so you can see some "Hitler bars" and people dress SS uniforms etc. But, it does not mean they are the mainstream.

They are not necessary racist either. To Chinese people, Jews and Christian Europeans are more or less the same. The only stereotype about Jews is "smart and good at business". I would say Jews are viewed more positively in East Asia than anywhere else in the world.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:59 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Hitler is labeled "evil" in Asia too. At least in China the history textbooks describe him as being totally negative. I believe there are young people who admire Hitler in every country, evidently in Europe. However, in Asia the governments are less sensitive than in the west, so you can see some "Hitler bars" and people dress SS uniforms etc. But, it does not mean they are the mainstream.

They are not necessary racist either. To Chinese people, Jews and Christian Europeans are more or less the same. The only stereotype about Jews is "smart and good at business". I would say Jews are viewed more positively in East Asia than anywhere else in the world.
I think, specifically in China's case, it depends on what is being talked about. I think in China, [MOD CUT/English only]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-19-2014 at 09:33 AM..

Old 09-18-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:

You would never see a Hitler Bar in Europe, or the U.S. It just wouldn't be done. I really think they ONLY place you'd see it would be China or Korea, and it would because they'd fail to see the true horror of it.

The equivalent would be if a bunch of Europeans decided they really admired the Japanese for the Rape of Nanking, and began to make 'Nanking Massacre Bars'. It would just be in incredibly poor taste.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
You would never see a Hitler Bar in Europe, or the U.S. It just wouldn't be done. I really think they ONLY place you'd see it would be China or Korea, and it would because they'd fail to see the true horror of it.

The equivalent would be if a bunch of Europeans decided they really admired the Japanese for the Rape of Nanking, and began to make 'Nanking Massacre Bars'. It would just be in incredibly poor taste.
There is no Hitler bar in China, I believe. But I heard in Mongolia there are groups who follow Hitler's ideology. They hate Chinese and Russians, for the most part.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:35 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,288,574 times
Quote:

No one is more politically apathetic than Asians, largely because democracy remains in its infancy there and people are afraid of public stances.

A large number of American college students are there to party hard and enjoy the opposite sex. You ought not place any weight on studies of that demographic.

S.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
No one is more politically apathetic than Asians, largely because democracy remains in its infancy there and people are afraid of public stances.

A large number of American college students are there to party hard and enjoy the opposite sex. You ought not place any weight on studies of that demographic.

S.
Not true. People in "communist countries" are the most interested in politics.
Young generation in China is much less interested than the older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia