Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 12:19 PM

24 posts, read 35,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboibob View Post
Not seeing your point here.

Ballmer(Microsoft ex CEO) 'retired'(booted) and was succeededby a Indian dude because windows 8 and windows mobile failed hard. I think what you're getting at is familial piety develops leadership skills.

Not sure because your communication skills are lacking
Ballmer is a billionaire.

A failed Microsoft CEO is infinitely more innovative than the most successful obedient son who takes care of his parents.

I am cursed with the burden of knowledge, which is why it is hard for me to explain my ideas. I had assumed that my theories are so obviously true that I am skipping quite a lot of intermediary steps to reach my conclusions.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:31 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,255,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amren View Post
Meanwhile western parents are priming their son to shoulder the responsibility of leading the world
I grew up in the western world, my childhood consisted of video games, sports, being in a garage band, fixing cars and chasing girls. I am pretty certain none of that prepares me to lead the world. So I'm curious, what has your parent taught you (or you taught to your kids) that make the subject qualifies to lead the world? Just so I can go back to my parents and blame them for not teaching me that.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:34 PM

24 posts, read 35,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
I grew up in the western world, my childhood consisted of video games, sports, being in a garage band, fixing cars and chasing girls. I am pretty certain none of that prepares me to lead the world. So I'm curious, what has your parent taught you (or you taught to your kids) that make the subject qualifies to lead the world? Just so I can go back to my parents and blame them for not teaching me that.

I am speaking in generalizations. What one person does do not change the generalization.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:

I am cursed with the burden of knowledge, which is why it is hard for me to explain my ideas. I had assumed that my theories are so obviously true that I am skipping quite a lot of intermediary steps to reach my conclusions.
Well, Duh!

Does any part of your world-leading parental education involves logic?

Old 12-04-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I am speaking in generalizations. What one person does do not change the generalization.

I asked you question. What have you learned that qualifies you to lead the world?

Btw, this "one person" basically represents the general population. Have you even been to the western world? I am curious now, you speak of Chinese and westerners in such overly simplification that nothing you describe is true. It's as if you have never been to either places.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I am cursed with the burden of knowledge, which is why it is hard for me to explain my ideas.

Btw, your understanding of Filial Piety is wrong. I suggest you actually look it up to see what it says.

And I find it objectionable that you're implying western children don't share similar kind of responsibility for their parents.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:11 PM

360 posts, read 984,268 times
I doubt filial piety has much to do with China's stagnation (as a nation).

If anything, national pride and ego as well as lack of foresight on China's part contribute to it. The 'Middle Kingdom' mentality viewed foreigners as barbarians and thus as unworthy of trading with and learning from.

Japan, on the other hand, was less egoistic and more far-sighted. The Japanese learned from the Chinese experience that not trading with and learning from Western-style modernization could cause them to suffer the same fate that China did. Their hard work paid off, as the modernization process they went through since the mid 19th century had laid the basic foundation for modern Japanese economic growth.

The Japanese defeat of China in 1895 made the Chinese realized the need to modernize as well. But it seemed too late as Japan was getting stronger from time to time and China was increasingly at the mercy of foreign imperialism.

South Korea was able to adapt faster than China today due to economic foundations built by Japanese colonial rule and its ego (the need to overtake Japan in the future).

Old 12-04-2014, 08:48 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,893,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Get over it, white people aren't special little snowflakes anymore. Besides, not all white people are created equal. You had your time in the sun, time to get over it and move on, just like us southern Europeans did. Give the Chinese credit where credit is due, the Greek and Roman civilizations collapsed, and never recovered. Civilizations come and go, who knows where the Chinese will take us today? You Germanics have this strange obsession about being the big man on campus talk about insecurity

Don't be silly, China isn't white, they'll always be stagnant. White is right, and all that
Whoa there man... We are on the same page re: the premise of this thread being BS, I love China and will probably spend most of the rest of my life here, but I'm a blonde haired, blue eyed "Germanic" American of largely Swedish extraction. You shouldn't make such needlessly divisive statements. I'm not about any cultural/national/ethnic group being taken down a peg... Take down an individual for their stupidity, for sure, but don't take down their entire cultural group with them! That's how Arab Americans in the US ate crap after 9/11, that's why the NYCPD unjustly targets black men for stop and frisk policies - both situations were supported and agreed with by more than just WASP's, and many if not most of us white folk vehemently oppose such things.

Last edited by 415_s2k; 12-04-2014 at 09:05 PM..

Old 12-04-2014, 08:53 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,220,137 times
Default Western-centric viewpoint

China made gunpowder of course, conducted deep natural gas and oil drilling; had natural gas transmission lines; urban planning. China developed many things, hundreds of years before Europeans, that were "re-invented" or later "discovered" by Western countries. One thing it didn't have was arable land to match its population. And it was a closed society although that is being debated.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:38 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,981,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Whoa there man... We are on the same page re: the premise of this thread being BS, I love China and will probably spend most of the rest of my life here, but I'm a blonde haired, blue eyed "Germanic" American of largely Swedish extraction. You shouldn't make such needlessly divisive statements. I'm not about any cultural/national/ethnic group being taken down a peg... Take down an individual for their stupidity, for sure, but don't take down their entire cultural group with them! That's how Arab Americans in the US ate crap after 9/11, that's why the NYCPD unjustly targets black men for stop and frisk policies - both situations were supported and agreed with by more than just WASP's, and many if not most of us white folk vehemently oppose such things.
Alright. I admit I was harsh before. It just really annoys me when certain groups of people think that they are superior to everyone else. As a past victim of discrimination (perpetrated by, who else, people of principally Germanic descent), such statements make my blood boil. It's sad, too, because my German relatives are nothing like that, but to be fair, Europeans in general aren't like that, it's usually Americans that have an arrogant attitude (and, yes, conversely, there's people like you and me as well).

The sad thing is, we can expect to see this more and more from Americans the further the US declines. It's like American society, right now, is entering the denial phase. People are starting to see what's happening, and can't accept it, so they deny that we are at fault, but instead, accuse others of stealing and copying from us when that's not the case. basically kids crying "Cheater cheater cheater!" But then the part that got me mad was, that attitude had a hint of racial arrogance to it, like nobody will ever be better than the White Man

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-05-2014 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia