Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2014, 10:50 AM

404 posts, read 587,579 times

Advertisements

I'm about to graduate from college this year and have begun to look at job opportunities. My degree is in computer science. I'm interested in living and working in Asia for a few years (Hong Kong is the city that pops into my mind, but I'm open to other cities). However, I don't know what's the best way to begin and conduct my search. Anyone have any experience with this or advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 05:53 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,025,365 times
I'm interested as well sometime in the far future, but in my view, how much Chinese do you know?

Old 12-12-2014, 06:37 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,802,806 times
In China, programmers are paid less and have a lower status.
Most of them make a shift by early 30s.
CS students from tier 2 universities have difficulties in finding a job.

However, good ones are always in demand.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:17 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,025,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post

In China, is it like the US where if you have job experience, it matters more than the college you graduated from? Here in the US, experience matters more than where you went to school and how you got your certifications

Old 12-12-2014, 07:47 PM

177 posts, read 270,280 times
I have a few coder/developer friends who had a blast for a few years working for tech companies in Seoul and Tokyo. They are back in the US building their own startups, all came back with Asian wives. One specialized in Ruby on rails and the other in java and css.. ccs.. or whatever.
From what I remember, they applied for jobs, did interviews via Skype, went for another interview in person, landed the job. This was 5 years ago btw.

Last edited by Tdiva; 12-12-2014 at 08:14 PM..

Old 12-12-2014, 11:16 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,802,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
In China, is it like the US where if you have job experience, it matters more than the college you graduated from? Here in the US, experience matters more than where you went to school and how you got your certifications
Yes, experience certainly matters more than a degree, especially in smaller companies.
If you studied in a foreign university, they don't know how to evaluate it (unless you are from the few big names). So I would assume wherever you studied is the same.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:06 AM

440 posts, read 665,373 times
The situation is not always the same if the worker came from another country.
In most countries a foreigner is hired only if companies cannot find a suitable local for the job, except large western multinational companies.

China's programmers are paid less salary simply is lower in China than the US. Foreign workers maybe paid higher as an expatriate worker if considered better than the locals.

IT industry is rising higher in Asia than the rest of the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia